Thread: Which of these is chickweed?

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Which of these is chickweed?

I sort of got the hang of what it is, but I can't figure out which of these 3 it is...or are a couple of them chickweed? One has large leaves and grows upward with white flowers, the second trails a bit more and has smaller leaves, and the last trails and has small leaves and white flowers (I took a few pics to show what it is because it's small and unclear). Neither has a milky liquid coming out of it when I pinch off a stem (I know that plants that do this are usually spurge). Anyway thought I'd ask, because some people here are better at this than I am. I know chickweed is edible and healthy so if I can identify it, that would be great! Neither plant has flowers yet...too early!

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Plant 3:

I'm thinking plant 2 and 3 are the same...just plant 2 is bigger...and it looks like what chickweed seems like in a google image search. I also get plants in searches that look like plant 1 though, so I'm confused!
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 01 Jun 2012 at 03:17.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Which of these is chickweed?

3 is definately chickweed, 2 is probably chickweed and 1 is not chickweed--looks like a seedling of something from the pic...though I would have to see it in flower to be sure, since our chickweed here tends to be mouse ear chickweed, and yours looks like star chickweed.

You have to remember that chickweed is not actually just one species, but a family of about 100 (give or take a few) species...about 6 or 7 of which are commonly called "chickweed".
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Thanks a lot! That's helpful....I'll leave 1 alone then and go for 2 and 3 (if you look at them closely they're pretty much identical...just 2 different plants).

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Thanks a lot! That's helpful....I'll leave 1 alone then and go for 2 and 3 (if you look at them closely they're pretty much identical...just 2 different plants).
    Yeah, from the pic its hard to see stems and the branching (and how hairy is is)--in conjunction with the leaf shape and flower, that's the tell-tale sign of a chickweed. Mouse ear chick weed (which has harrier stems and smaller leaves) seems to be more common in the drier and poorer soils...when I see your chickweed around here, it tends to be in a less disturbed and moister spots. Though chickweed in general does well in disturbed areas.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I grow stuff in containers and it rains here a LOT, if that helps...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

....I should write and essay called "why I hate common names" and another one called "when you pick a picture of a plant for an article, pick a 'typical' image of the plant"

THIS is what I think your plant is--Stellaria media, which wiki calls "common chickweed" (but I learned as star chickweed)...versus Stellaria pubera, or star chickweed, which is a rarer native chickweed to the US (which I learned as woodland chickweed)

Scientific names are good.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Yeah looks about right