Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help identifying more weeds!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Plant 9 had a milky secretion come out of the leaves when I plucked them...that's a pretty good indicator it's dandelion, right?
    That's why plant id'ing is hard from photos, lol.

Some thistles also have that dandelion look & latex - out here we call 'em sow thistle, but even the young plants have prickly leaf margins. I can't really tell if the leaves are prickly in the photo. The sow thistle smells pretty rank, too - bitter & almost chemical-ly, and the odor will linger on hands or gloves. I also don't think I've seen any w/red stems - at least not in my back yard.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I don't think it's thistle, because they're not prickly. They're also not common here, so it would be odd (though not impossible I guess).

These UK/AU pictures for Sow Thistle look an awful lot like plant 7 though:

Last edited by DanieMarie; 02 Jun 2012, 01:59.

Comment

I don't think it's thistle, because they're not prickly. They're also not common here, so it would be odd (though not impossible I guess).

These UK/AU pictures for Sow Thistle look an awful lot like plant 7 though
        Maybe it's just me, or the angle, but to me, #7 looks like 2 different plants - one w/arrowhead shaped leaves & another w/the dandeliony/thistley leaves. But yeah, those plants along that fence - definitely the monsters that grow in my backyard. And if it's crowding out everything else you try to grow in that pot, the m.o. is the same, too.

I'm sure, like most Compositae, the early leaves could be considered 'edible greens'. Personally, I wouldn't try to eat sow thistle on a bet. The smell is enough to deter me. But, the latex is good for softening & removing warts, calluses & keloids.
        Last edited by Ophidia; 02 Jun 2012, 09:48. Reason: removed photopasta

Comment

I wonder if Sow Thistle is the same in the US and UK...in the UK they're labelled as tasty, edible greens along the lines of dandelion...

#7 is definitely one plant...I double checked. There are two plants, and they're both the same. The one type of leaves are at the bottom and the other is at the top, and they are budding yellow flowers that look like small dandelions.

Comment

I wonder if Sow Thistle is the same in the US and UK...in the UK they're labelled as tasty, edible greens along the lines of dandelion...
            A lot of the 'Edible and Medicinal Wild Plants of ...' books list them like that, too. Tastebuds are relative, lol.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, dandelion is bitter when eaten raw, but the new leaves are nice in salads, and even the big ones make good tea. They actually SELL dandelion tea here. I went foraging the other day because I thought "wait, I'm paying a Euro a box for something that grows like crazy everywhere for free...."

Comment

Ok I think I've managed to identify a few, but some I'm still not 100% sure. But here are some with some guesses:

Plant 3 grew into something looking a lot like sheeps sorrel:

Plant 4 looks like some kind of lettuce, though I tried it and it tasted not like lettuce, so I'm still unsure:

Plant 5, still unsure, but there's some sort of white bud on them:

Plant 7 and 8 are the same...still looks like nipplewort to me. It's budding yellow flowers. You were all right, there WAS another plant growing in with 7...it was just very, very close to the other plant:

Also, a newbie, which looks like lambs quarters to me:

More chickweed!

Comment

Working...
                X