Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do You Care About Someone Else's Appearance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Do You Care About Someone Else's Appearance?

It's information. I don't turn down free data. Is appearance the only metric I judge someone on? No. It's also not among the most important but details are useful and I try not to turn down free data about who I'm dealing with. I generally won't make permanent judgements about your character based on appearance but data is data and in most cases, I prefer to have more data than less.

That said, I've spent excessive amounts of time running a fitting room in a tourist area. Yes I will pay attention to a person's appearance. I will also generally notice if someone looks good but I've dealt with a huge number of people that look 'good'. Looking good doesn't really earn brownie points when my stance is "you look great... just like 300 other people that I've dealt with in the past 2 days. Now how long is it till I can go on break?"
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

There are many advantages to not washing regularly. One of them is that you can often get a double seat all to yourself on public transport....
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

One thing I will say about people's appearances, sometimes they do matter, to some extent. It's why in certain places security and federal police are taught how to profile. I do not mean profiling in that "this person is this skin type so they must act like this." They teach how to look athow a person can stick out in a crowd, and what certain things could mean, and what mannerisms bear watching. On a 90 degree day the shifty guy in the corner with the heavy winter coat on, is just going to get more attention than everyone else at the airport.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I thought of one time I will judge someone negatively based on appearance: I hate and fear chavs. If you look like a chav, I'll assume without any fair evidence, that you are vile, foul-mouthed, undereducated, unemployed, violent, drink and smoke too much, take drugs and quite possibly have 3 or more children. This is unfair, I know. JP points out how intolerant I am towards chavs. I fit the classic 'prejudice comes from fear' model though. Mob culture has become quite out of control in some parts of the UK. While it's not directly on my doorstep, it's close enough that I and those close to me have on many occations, been directly affected, injured or somehow harmed by these people. I was afraid to leave my house other than to walk to college, for 2 years, because I was so paralised with fear of physical attack. It's no excuse, none at all. But somehow my animal response to this is to look down my nose and judge anyone who I feel belongs to this sub-culture of society.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            I thought of one time I will judge someone negatively based on appearance: I hate and fear chavs.
            What exactly is a chav? (I know this is off-topic, but I seriously don't know.)

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
              What exactly is a chav? (I know this is off-topic, but I seriously don't know.)
              I was going to post a video of chavs being violent, but then decided that I at least owe it to them to be unbiased. This is a video that just explains what they are, without making them look good or bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNeWkeGYm8

Ah go on, so you can see what I am really against... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_T-...eature=related
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

After googling chav I think I understand what they are but not so much the fear, people who dress like that are around here and have been for years, I guess it must be something we are more used to here in the states... It may just be an aesthetic here.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I was going to post a video of chavs being violent, but then decided that I at least owe it to them to be unbiased. This is a video that just explains what they are, without making them look good or bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNeWkeGYm8

Ah go on, so you can see what I am really against... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_T-...eature=related
                  When I go to the UK, I play a game in my head called 'count the chavs'. lol.

Mostly art.

Comment

Gah! you got here too fast!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

It's more the way they terrorize and control entire communities. It is a real issue here in the UK, although as that second documentory has shown, we are finding ways to tackle the issue. If they only dressed a certain way, but didn't carry knives, set fire to cars, break into the homes of the elderly, beat up people for being goth, or gay or in the worst cases, disabled (I've heard two horrible stories of adults with learning disabilities being labled as child molesters and beaten to death by these scumbags).

I was lucky enough to get a job with teenagers who had antisocial behaviour issues. Basically, they were chavs. This opened my eyes to another side of them and I grew very fond of my students. I still see them around. I hear some are in jail now, but I hear others have found jobs and are doing well. So I don't have quite so bad an opinion of them now and I understand how people can fall on bad times and when all you knew growing up was violence and drug abuse, then that will shape you as an adult, whether it is to go to the other extreme, or to continue the life your parents showed you.

Still, I cannot justify or forgive violent and evil behaviour so I will never, ever, fully forgive this subculture for what they have done to me and those I love, and I will always feel that fear.. the thumping in my chest, the sweaty palms, the panic, whenever I see a group of teens or young adults dressed and acting like chavs.

Comment

Aesthetically, I don't. In day-to-day interactions. If it's with a mate or someone within my care that it matters more because I want people to think I've done my "job" as a partner/parent/care-giver and made an effort on behalf of those seen as connected to me. In regards to my own appearance, its' all about making MYSELF feel good. I love make up and some days I'll go for the wild and dramatic, other days I just want to have that girl-next-door look.

Psychologically that's something different. For example I will look at body types and think "that's where I want to get to" or "Dear sweet gods, don't let me get to that point!" But that's a health thing and/or a fitness thing. I don't want to die of heart disease (one of many things in my family medical history) and I LOVE being able to just go and do things. So yes, I'll use someone's appearance as motivation for myself. But again, aesthetics really don't play into it.

Also, in my mind, a body is a body is a body. It's not something to sexualize unless you have a reason to be in that head space and not every interaction has such a reason.

One the BEST shows I've ever seen in the British (not US or Canadian versions) show How To Look Good Naked. It's all about women being comfortable in their own skin rather then trying to meet some ideal of beauty.
                        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

@Jembru- I think it is definitely not the same thing here in the states, but we have different gun laws, (i.e. we can have them)So in some places it just does'nt make sense to pick random people to screqw with, cause they can carry all the same scary things you can, and if you have more money you can afford better guns... I don't know if that is really a reason but I imagine its a factor. We have gangs and such here too though, in fact Wilmington, has had a horrible year with murders this year, it has been really bad, but proper gang violence is getting worse. So I guess there are a few other valid appearance issues to consider when you consider a person.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                            I wear a uniform to work (it's miserable, too - whoever picked them out picked cheap, coarse, brown wool suits) :P So yeah, I can get dressed in the dark. Because I wear a uniform to work I don't want to put a lot of fuss into my daily clothing so it's jeans & t-shirts for the most part.
                            I loved wearing a uniform. So easy and social expectations are effortlessly met every single day.

I understand wanting to look a certain way for yourself - but every night I listen to people pick one another apart because of their wardrobe or make-up choices, where they shop for their appearance-related choices, how much they spend or don't spend. It's boggling how much time some of my coworkers can devote to just that - how people look. Some drunk guy comes to my window for a room key, I'm not concerned about the cut of his suit, I'm concerned for his safety - will he make it back to his room in one piece, will someone roll him on his side so he doesn't die a rock-star death, will he get rolled if he goes back out instead of going to his room, that kind of thing. Some of my coworkers will actually crane their necks over the desk to check out someone's shoes. It's just weird to me. Their shoes? Seriously?
                            "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt
                            So, turning the question back at you -- why do you care what they are discussing? Is that any better than them caring what other people are wearing?

A lot of women think Brad Pitt is the hotness - to me he just looks dirty & greasy all the time. When he cleans up, he's more attractive than when he's got the scraggly beard and oily hair hanging in his face. My husband feels the same way about Christina Aguilera. He says when he tries to imagine her in bed, he thinks it'd be like rolling around w/a greased pig.
                            And this criticism of others is different .... how? This is my point, it is easy to SAY we don't care, but not so easy to actually not care. I find it fairly easy to assume that these celebrities are meticulously clean for their photo ops, but going for "the wet look," which you apparently disapprove.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            Actually, I do reach into the wardrobe blindly most of the time. You should see the stuff I wear out.... odd shoes, odd socks (why are they always the purple and tangerine ones, I wonder?)

I can't tell one item from another, it all looks like porridge. So there's not much point worrying. And because of that I really don't care what other people look like. It's none of my business. There may be all sorts of reasons why they appear the way they do. I'd prefer to get to know them first.

I use the same picture for my avatar everywhere. It's several years old, but it stays unless I lose the file.
                            And you should know that when it comes to first impressions I find people in mismatched clothing, shirts buttoned askew, etc, particularly intriguing -- but that is my form of appearance prejudice. Of course I take note of how other people present themselves, especially when we are first meeting, but I have a sort of reverse prejudice. People who seem a little too "put together" to me, no matter what their style, do not interest me as much as a person who looks like they have better things to think about. Don't misunderstand, I have some meticulously coiffed friends, but I am definitely guilty of appearance prejudice. I don't, however, verbalize these preferences or discuss the fashion (or non-fashion) choices of others as a general rule. I can't imagine spending much time with people who did.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                              One the BEST shows I've ever seen in the British (not US or Canadian versions) show How To Look Good Naked. It's all about women being comfortable in their own skin rather then trying to meet some ideal of beauty.
                              I would like to see this show. It sounds very healthy.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

While walking in my neighborhood recently, I noticed a house for sale. No one lives there anymore and the realtor isn't maintaining it well. Shrubs are overgrown, and it looks "weedy" and a little run down. That house could have a beautiful floor plan, nice appliances, great foundation, etc., but the fact is, fewer people will be interested because it lacks "curb appeal". Translated into human appearance, I'm not saying we all need to look like we are fit for a Vogue magazine cover shoot, but being the best you that you can be is a sign of confidence, self esteem, etc. I do NOT support the "Barbie" image notions one bit, and when I say "be the best you that you can be" I don't mean people should change to fit some societal ideal - but to me, basic hygiene & grooming are important. I think it's a function of self-acceptance/love to take care of oneself, and that reflects in a person's appearance far more than their fashion choices.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X