Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    You know what gets me about those types of people? When they visit other countries, they complain about how they can't find menus in English. You wouldn't believe some of the irritating privilege I see here. A lot of places DO have English menus, but if they don't and it's somewhere that tourists might go, you'd better bet that they complain. It's such a double standard. I swear, it's usually the same sorts of people who complain about other languages in English-speaking countries (it's not just Americans) and who complain about a lack of English in other countries. Maybe it's because people who are more accepting of languages at home are more willing to try another language or at least buy a phrasebook.
    I never look at the menus when I travel. I look around at what others are eating and when I see something that looks interesting, I tell the waiter "that looks delicious, can you tell me about it?". That goes for foreign countries...I've never been anywhere in Europe where *someone* on the waitstaff couldn't speak English.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I never look at the menus when I travel. I look around at what others are eating and when I see something that looks interesting, I tell the waiter "that looks delicious, can you tell me about it?". That goes for foreign countries...I've never been anywhere in Europe where *someone* on the waitstaff couldn't speak English.
      I've been a few places where people couldn't speak English, but I like to visit rural areas over cities.

I'd love to do that, but because of food allergies, I have to navigate menus :/

Comment

Why do I suck at making friends.

Comment

Palm oil might technically be vegan but given how it destroys habitat and kills the animals that live there, I don't consider it 'safe for vegans' and I'm absolutely sick of being told that it's okay to purchase it in vegan groups!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
            Palm oil might technically be vegan but given how it destroys habitat and kills the animals that live there, I don't consider it 'safe for vegans' and I'm absolutely sick of being told that it's okay to purchase it in vegan groups!
            Plus, human trafficking is a huge problem there
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I just can't stand how my boss treats her dog. She is passively mistreating him. She's not abusing him or anything but she is ignoring his needs and it is driving me bananas.
              If you're going out partying (often) and you know you won't be home that night - make sure someone else exercizes and feeds your "baby", god-dang-it... A person doesn't just "forget" to take care of a pet they care about.
              Why even get a dog if you aren't prepared to spend the time and energy it takes to keep it healthy and happy? Argh!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Plus, human trafficking is a huge problem there
                Yes, that too.

Comment

Not a ranty rant rant per say. But dayum. I'm seriously not taking a plane anywhere. Ever. Again.

I'm sure we've all read about the co pilot who was heard on the black box recorder trying to break back into the cockpit. We have no idea why he was locked out. Was the pilot having a heart attack? Was the pilot praying to someone and deciding to take a e ticket to the mountain? Was the pilot high/drunk/fell asleep/abducted?

No more planes for me.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

And now you know why I will not fly..In my younger days I did fly a lot..but as I got older I thought "You are betting your safety on another human" and you know how reliable humans are..

Bad day for them,and worse for you...Just old and paranoid..How do you think I lasted this long...
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I never liked flying. The problem is that it's the easiest way of getting around the world. Copenhagen - london by train is 2 days. It's about 2 hours by plane... but I'm still terrified of flying anyway.
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I hate flying and didn't do it for about 20 years. But I can't physically hold up to driving "back home" for a vaca, (bad enough I'm 4 hours from the airport) and can't leave pet, home, etc. those extra days either. So I've been biting the bullet and doing it once a year for the last 5. I figure, I put my life in other people's hands when I drive, too. You don't know who's out there on a drunken joyride or whatever.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Interesting that the pilot stepped out for perhaps a wizz,and could not reenter the cockpit. They now think the co-pilot might have crashed the plane on purpose for what ever reason.

So,still not trusting human nature with my safety..And Hawk,you would really put yourself in danger just to get to Jersey???Many people would put themselves in danger just to get out of jersey...
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oklahoma's governor has declared a state of emergency for 25 counties following an evening of severe weather. Several tornadoes across the state, along with 90 mph straight-line winds and up to softball-sized hail; one fatality, several injured, dozens of homes and businesses destroyed, many more damaged. Tens of thousands without power. Schools closed in several affected communities.

It's now officially spring.
                            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                            Tribe of my Tribe
                            Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Not a ranty rant rant per say. But dayum. I'm seriously not taking a plane anywhere. Ever. Again.

I'm sure we've all read about the co pilot who was heard on the black box recorder trying to break back into the cockpit. We have no idea why he was locked out. Was the pilot having a heart attack? Was the pilot praying to someone and deciding to take a e ticket to the mountain? Was the pilot high/drunk/fell asleep/abducted?

No more planes for me.
                              They think that he probably did it on purpose, for reasons unknown.

I'm flying to Barcelona in May. Luckily I'm not flying Germanwings, otherwise I'd be seriously freaked out. Although, Germanwings is probably the safest budget airline in Europe now.

That being said, I read an article in Slate that said that deaths due to major airline crashes are actually lower than they were 15-odd years ago. They're not really happening more...we're just hearing about them more.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                And Hawk,you would really put yourself in danger just to get to Jersey???Many people would put themselves in danger just to get out of jersey...

Yes...I need my Monmouth Park time, and real pizza!

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                                Oklahoma's governor has declared a state of emergency for 25 counties following an evening of severe weather. Several tornadoes across the state, along with 90 mph straight-line winds and up to softball-sized hail; one fatality, several injured, dozens of homes and businesses destroyed, many more damaged. Tens of thousands without power. Schools closed in several affected communities.

It's now officially spring.
                                We had a lot of thunder/rain last night, and not too far away there was half-dollar sized hail. That area around Moore, OK must be set up for just the barometric pressure these systems feed on.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X