THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

You mean the one used in movies when a person gets shot right..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      So people are indulging in more nuanced delusions of grandeur on the net? Also, lineaged/natural practitioners have been more than a little over hyped by pop culture. There's nothing inherently wrong with choosing a path instead of being destined for it.
      Sad part is the way I see it being used it has so many possible purposes.

I haven't yet really seen a pagan site where a person comes on and says they are a squib. Nope it's always a member of their family, someone they know, etc. It becomes the slam that I suppose Rawlings wanted it to be in her story world. Always have the desire and want but never have the lineage or capability to be a true wizard even though it should have been in their blood. Used almost as often as Muggle in some capacities it seem's. One aspect I really dislike being incorporated into modern pagansim and pop culture as it influences how things unfold.

I do think it funny in that I never once heard of lineage'd or natural witches category until the late 90's maybe early 2000's as an argument or position. Yeah we had family traditions such as Granny Practices, Folk Practices, etc but seldom did you ever hear of a long term unchanged spiritual / religious practice that one was lineage'd from. Maybe long running practices that were handed down with the understanding that it was constantly changing or being modified as you learnt things. How I do things is a far cry from how my elders did thing and even what we were taught by them as the world moved forward or we became exposed to other pathways.

Regarding choosing or being destined for a given pathway i'll simply have to agree to disagree on that one. See far to many who say they are something without ever really going through things.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Corbin scratches his bald head trying to figure out why "squib" is derogatory term, but "playgan" is not...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          For me, it's a reload that doesn't get out of the barrel.
          I've never heard/seen it used in a Pagan context until now. But I don't do many other Pagan forums or online social media stuff, only blogs...and only really the well written ones.

<---snob (a word with an interesting etymology)
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Corbin scratches his bald head trying to figure out why "squib" is derogatory term, but "playgan" is not...
            Didn't say it wasn't to me. Just that it I see it being used to describe those who claim to be lineage'd or blooded but have no magical capabilities or abilities of their own by other supposed blooded or lineage'd people. In that regard it's a negative when applied in a manner that reflects its usage in the Harry Potter books. Starting to see it on some sites being used to apply to people who claim to be something but have no apparent aptitude for it or rewarded for something that everyone does but they claim to be more qualified. Well qualified in their eyes but not in the eyes of anyone else. An example there is the new Honor Grad ribbon for Navy Bootcamp, means nothing in the fleet though they will probably come across just as honor grads have from service schools. Think they are special and have special powers but in reality have nothing to those who've actually served any amount of time or experience.

Comment

Habbs rubs Corbin's bald head, for good luck.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Habbs rubs Corbin's bald head, for good luck.
                Drop a penny in the open guitar case. That seals the deal.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Didn't say it wasn't to me.
                  You just used the word playgan in another thread more than once. How is that not demeaning and insulting, just because you disagree with what someone else does/believes/etc? How is that not casting asperations on what you think the sincerity of their beliefs is?

An example there is the new Honor Grad ribbon for Navy Bootcamp, means nothing in the fleet though they will probably come across just as honor grads have from service schools. Think they are special and have special powers but in reality have nothing to those who've actually served any amount of time or experience.
                  No different than the good cookie, battle E, or marksmanship ribbons. Or the National Defense medal everyone already gets.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

What,you get a special ribbon for making it out of Boot?....I will not go there...(grumbles under breath) I thought that was seaman recruit hash?
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      You just used the word playgan in another thread more than once. How is that not demeaning and insulting, just because you disagree with what someone else does/believes/etc? How is that not casting asperations on what you think the sincerity of their beliefs is?

No different than the good cookie, battle E, or marksmanship ribbons. Or the National Defense medal everyone already gets.
                      Wasn't referring to playgan was referring to squib. Regarding playgan sorry do mean that one, especially when the person has the capability to learn but refuses to do anything. Uneducated is one thing, unwilling to learn or challenge themselves is something else and I shall not reward that.

Regarding those ribbons, no you actually have to do something to earn marksman, have to demonstrate an individual and team ability to earn battle E, have demonstrated and presented a certain life style and behavior for the good conduct. Do admit the National Defense is a you were in so got it medal for a certain period of time. The honor grad ribbon from boot is all sucking up and many times at the expense of team when for the individual. Sorry as both instructor and Division Chief saw to many honor grad's that weren't worth the attitude or capability they brought to the mission, command or assignment or the failure many ensured as they were often all about themselves not getting the mission done. They never really got the we party as a team, fight as a team, train as a team, live as a team and many times die as a team, especially if part of the team is all about the individual. What we used to call one boat one crew, one shaft one screw.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        What,you get a special ribbon for making it out of Boot?....I will not go there...(grumbles under breath) I thought that was seaman recruit hash?
                        No, its only for the top recruits...I think its actually because they got rid of meritorious boot camp promotions. They also got rid of some of the other ways you could come in as an E-2 or E-3....like when I enlisted, I came in as an E-3.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          The honor graduate for each company now gets an honor grad ribbon. A lot of people figure it won't be long before the Navy is like the Air Force and get participation ribbons for simply going to boot. Used to get maybe a stripe, perhaps orders to some A school. Of course once again forgetting that those honor grads didn't always make it through their schools or be the face the Navy wanted at the time. Instead we now look like the Army moto...Be an Army of One... So far the only winner of that designation i've heard of is Sgt Berghdal who abandoned his post and was traded for some terrorist.

Comment

Regarding those ribbons, no you actually have to do something to earn marksman, have to demonstrate an individual and team ability to earn battle E, have demonstrated and presented a certain life style and behavior for the good conduct.
                            You have to have aim, you have to be on a ship where other people do their job, and you have to not go to mast for 3 years. Thats all it takes for those awards. Sure, not everyone can aim, but even the biggest dirtbag on the boat still gets to wear a battle E, and the biggest loser can still manage not to go to mast if they never get caught.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              No, its only for the top recruits...I think its actually because they got rid of meritorious boot camp promotions. They also got rid of some of the other ways you could come in as an E-2 or E-3....like when I enlisted, I came in as an E-3.
                              According to some of the CPO's I know on recruiter duty and Company Commander duty the CAP (Command Advancement Program) program is still alive and well in bootcamp. As far as I know the buddy program is still alive and well as is the promotion up to E6 for skill level and education. The OSVET (Other Service Veterans) program I think can still go up to E6 as well though not sure how many OSVETS are being taken in now as were heading into another drawdown period. Still on the books for CPO though as far as I know that aspect hasn't been used again since Vietnam for CPO.

Comment

According to some of the CPO's I know on recruiter duty and Company Commander duty the CAP (Command Advancement Program) program is still alive and well in bootcamp. As far as I know the buddy program is still alive and well as is the promotion up to E6 for skill level and education. The OSVET (Other Service Veterans) program I think can still go up to E6 as well though not sure how many OSVETS are being taken in now as were heading into another drawdown period. Still on the books for CPO though as far as I know that aspect hasn't been used again since Vietnam for CPO.
                                A friend of mine just came off an RDC tour, which is how I heard that they'd gotten rid of a lot of the meritorious promotions.

ETA: Its not like its hard to get rid of a program without actually getting rid of a program...you just stop approving request chits.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X