Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More weeds help

Yes, again!

I posted this in my other thread, but I think because it's old no one answered....soooo here we go:

Ok I think I've managed to identify a few, but some I'm still not 100% sure. But here are some with some guesses:

Plant 3 grew into something looking a lot like sheeps sorrel:

Plant 4 looks like some kind of lettuce, though I tried it and it tasted not like lettuce, so I'm still unsure:

Plant 5, still unsure, but there's some sort of white bud on them:

Plant 7 and 8 are the same...still looks like nipplewort to me. It's budding yellow flowers. You were all right, there WAS another plant growing in with 7...it was just very, very close to the other plant:

Also, a newbie, which looks like lambs quarters to me:

More chickweed!

Sorry about all the questions. I'm just interested in this, and I want to know what's edible, but I don't want to poison myself (obviously haha)

Re: More weeds help

I think you need a field guide for edible plants of Northern Europe.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I think you're right....thanks for the link!

Comment

The newbie looks like Fat Hen to me but I agree with Thal on the guidebook, nibbling things that *might* be lettuce could end badly!
        You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Yeah I'm not touching it until I know what it is 100% (when I nibbled it I spat it out, because I didn't want to swallow something when I wasn't sure)

Comment

The first one looks like plantain, and 7 and 8 look like flower-of-the-hour.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

I don't think the first ones plantain as it doesn't have the strong parallel ribs on the leaf that plantains generally do. Unless we're having common-name mix up which is definitely possible!

Comment

In the US there are two different plants with that name. That may be part of the confusion.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

#1 doesn't look like common-weed-type plantain to me, either. For some reason, it makes me think of field cress, arugula or oak-leaf lettuce. Have you nibbled any of it? Does it taste peppery at all? Can't really tell for sure til it flowers, though.

#5 might be a mustard - they get those little yellowy-white clusters of flowers. Our wild mustards here in Nevada have ragged leaf margins similar to dandelion/thistle plants, not entire margins like the one pictured.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I reckon that on number 1 that Danie's pretty close with her Sheep's Sorrel suggestion. I've grown buckler-leafed sorrel before and its leaves looked like that. Sorrel always tastes like particularly tart apple peel to me, if that helps.

Comment

I hate 'first year/season flat basal rosette' plants, lol. At least when it comes to id'ing them, anyway.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Turns out the one I thought was sorrel is 100% sorrel. I found out that one of my big cookbooks has a lot of tips for cooking weeds, and it said that if you put sorrel in contact with aluminium, it turns a funny colour. Of course, this was AFTER I picked a bunch and soaked it in a aluminium bowl. Guess what happened? At least (aside from the look and smell) that solidifies the ID.

Comment

Working...
                        X