Any Meditation Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Meditation Tips?

I've been practicing for three years but this year has been the chance I've gotten to practice a lot more. I do a lot of mediation but sometimes I have a hard time focusing. What I do is light a few candles, turn off the lights, TV, ect. and sometimes light an incense. I close my eyes as I sit in front of my alter and I focus on the silence but sometimes I just can't do it. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me.
    Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
    http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Re: Any Meditation Tips?

Try something more back to basics, when i was younger i used to climb a tree and just lay on a branch, listen to the leaves as they rustle in the wind. Go for a walk and look for somewhere that looks peacefull

Comment

You can try 'moving meditation' if sitting isn't doing it for you. Pacing, standing in the kitchen stirring a bowl of water, sweeping or anything that makes a soft, rhythmic, 'white noise' effect. Pace your breathing to your repetitive action and don't rush through whatever you're doing if you're using a chore.

I've found 'mini-meditation' works pretty well for me. Just taking 5 - 10 minutes, turning off the computer screen & staring at the blankness, or while sitting in the tub, standing in line, waiting on hold - anything where I'm stuck doing nothing for a few minutes. Instead of getting impatient over wasting my time, I use that time to relax & decompress. It has the added bonus of annoying impatient people around me, too. "Oh my God, how can you look so blissful while this checker is being so slow and incompetent!". mwuhahaha!
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Okay, I can try all of those things. Thanks
        Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
        http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's what worked for me.

I am terrible at keeping my thoughts focused. For me, the whole thing turned around when I stopped seeing my active mind and intruding thoughts as me somehow "failing" at meditation. I now stay completely detached when I notice such thoughts, and view them with the approach a scientist would take, sort of like "Look here, I'm having a thought. Isn't that interesting now?"

Ironically, as soon as I changed the way I reacted to these thoughts, they started becoming a lot more rare.

Comment

Perhaps guided meditation can help. I tend to lose focus sometimes. Especially when I am really stressed out. I sometimes find it helps if you have something to "Fidget with" like Chinese meditation balls or stones. This also has helped me pay attention in class when my ADD wreaks havoc.

I once had a meditation teacher that told me something very important. She told me never to get angry when I lost focus. She told me wandering thoughts are like a puppy. You don't yell or get angry with a puppy because they are naturally curious and tend to wander, just like our minds. What we should do is gently guide our thoughts back to meditation. It takes some practice to catch yourself drifting but it is worth it.
            Last edited by PhoenixMask; 01 Jul 2012, 06:35.

Comment

Like Phoenix said,
              If you have a thought, acknowledge the thought and let it drift away. If you have an itch, acknowledge the itch. The key is to not "resist" the distractions but take note of them and then refocus. I think what makes it so hard for people is that they try so HARD to clear their mind that they end up doing the opposite.
              ‎"Your imagination creates the inner picture that allows you to participate in the act of creation. It's the invisible connecting link to manifesting your own destiny." - Wayne Dyer

Comment

Meditation is not something that comes easy to me. I find that random thoughts and images try to fill the empty space and it's a huge distraction. What I found helpful was to visualise something, to focus on and keep the stray thoughts off to the side. In my case I envision a vortex or whirlpool that I am slowly floating towards the infinite centre. Has helped wonders. Maybe something similar would help you?

Comment

Working...
                X