How do you look at Celtic Gods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you look at Celtic Gods?

Would you look at them as gods of the sun, moon, wind etc... or would you look at them as multifunctional patrons like Lugh might be the god of doorkeeping, poetry etc... Or maybe would you look at them as old Egregores a psychic entity made up of the thoughts and will of a group of people... or maybe as things that exist in a different way to us and are beyond explanation?

Personally I view them as 50 50 beings that exist in a different way and patrons because I read myths to give me info on them and I value the way they might have been viewed in the medieval because I like irish traditions.

Re: How do you look at Celtic Gods?

This is a very interesting question. One that, I find, doesn't get asked often enough.

I've always felt (and I pretty much apply this to all the Gods, not just the Celtic ones) that the Gods were more an energetic entity that may or may not take shape in a human or animal figure. They have their own will, which is how each God has their own "personality." This is how I feel they got their "God of _____ " stances, because of their perceived behavioral attributes.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I think - before we get too much into this - that it might be worth agreeing what we mean by Celtic. It's one of those generic terms that means different things to each of us. The Celts covered a huge area, and many centuries. Northern Greece, Austria, Germany... and of course once we get into the middle ages it's possible to argue that the original Celts were long gone by then. Just saying - because it's a subject that is so easy to misunderstand.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Celtic like 'celtic neopaganism' a catagory of neopaganism. Thats all I mean in terms of the question Tylluan nothing more specific then that.

Thats an interesting way of lookin at it Eisheth. Would you say they actually became wolves and if they were would they be gods to the wolves? (I like wolves :P)

Comment

Much like any gods, I view the Celtic deities as gods holding a specific patronage as their highest aspect but with many other functions and commands as well. I view them as equal parts this true function, and the functions we have placed on them as a culture or as individuals interpreting the gods.
          For example, Lugh may very well be a god of the sun and inspiration, but it is the Celtic culture that turned him into a god of specifically poetry, because it is through poetry that the Celts expressed themselves and the thing toward which they were artistically inspired.

Now, what exactly Celtic culture constitutes is a matter of some discussion. Since the Celts covered a broad area of both time and space in Europe, and influenced just as many things as they dominated, e.g.Gallo-Roman syncretism and the entire identity of the Romano-British peoples. But to me, the principle remains the same regardless of what ethnicity or culture we're talking about. To me, any god will always be an aggregate of their self-identified personage and the traits and personality ascribed to them by the people that encountered them.

Comment

I'm very much with Louis Villan here.... in that the principle remains the same regardless of ethnicity or culture. In other words, the original question could have been 'How do you look at your gods?' rather than specifying Celtic ones. I just wanted to check that's all, because the OP mentioned Irish and medieval.

Personally - and I don;t think it matters which pantheon (or combination) you are using, you have to find something right for you. Something you can grow into.

Most gods seem to be multifunctional - Apollo for example turns up as a sun, archer, protective, plague god etc. Some attributes seem contradictory too and it can be very confusing. If you work with mythology then that's one aspect to consider... but you also need to consider your relationship with your chosen deities on a personal level too. In my own experience, the more you work at building a relationship with your deity, the stronger it becomes.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Louisvillian if I hadnt limited the question to generic terms would you have made a specific point about gods by the various ways people percieved them across a pan celtic culture?. I can dig the idea of them being more then we define them, defo.

Ah Tylluan I mentioned medieval irish by way of an excuse for why im into celtic neopaganism, it can be percieved as quite cheesy at best here and at worst a trivialisation of our sense of identity. Sure youd know yourself in Wales.

Comment

I walk with Brythonic Celtic deities and the way I have come to understand them is quite complex and constantly evolving. To me, they have not presented themselves as say, Roman gods, where they might be seen as attributed to such things as wind, war, famine, or whatever. There are nature spirits (or energies if you prefer) that cover such roles in my theology. Although for me, the line between what is a 'god' and what is a 'nature spirit' is blurred, and I'm not terribly convinced this wasn't the case historically.

These deities do however, have personalities, as others have mentioned. In that respect, they do have areas of expertese. If I were a deity, you might call me the patroness of communication, or will power, based on my skills and interests, but to assume that I am capable of nothing besides learning languages and sticking to strict study plans, exercise regimes, diets or bugets, is kinda unrealistic (I'm also an expert moaner for one thing!). So I prefer not to approach my deites with particular expectations in mind, but at the same time, I'm aware of where their strengths lie. It's a flux that's always changing as I learn more, however. I also think most of the attributes we believe Brythonic deities have, were most likely imposed by the Romans in order to make them fit with their theological views. This is another reason I try to keep my mind open.

I realise I'm not being very clear, but I find it hard to put it into simple terms. I suppose the easiest way to explain it is that I believe that goddesses generally 'ruled' (for want of a better word, although it's a bad fit for me), over large areas. In my case, the main deity would be Brigantia, who we know was indeed worshipped widely, and very probably outside of Northern England, albeit by different names. The implications behind that last sentence are far reaching for me, but I really need to start getting ready to leave for work soon, and I want to keep this as concise as I can.

Male deities however, are far more localised. Although we are often trying to pair them off, I don't think there really is a happy couple, in the way my Wiccan training had it. It MAY be possible that Brigantia liked to play the field and kept all these local gods on the go, and I do indeed feel a sexual tension between Brigantia and Bregans when they come together in my circle, but I think a nice local nymph, or even a human maiden, would make a more likely partner for these male deities.

The gods, to me, are way more concerned with the every day workings of the family, or villiage they serve (a, serve, that's a bit of a better word). For this reason, you'll see these deities as gods of the hunt, gods of the harvest etc (although for reasons stated earlier, it's important not to be too confined by these definitions and remember they still have a wider scope).

I still lean more to Brigantia, but Bregans, being a more personal deity, is really taking on a life of his own now. I intend to start working with him more and more when it comes to the daily running of my home. Brigantia sees a wider picture. She listens and she responds, often in incredible ways, but she does not put my needs first, but rather, finds ways in which she can assist me, while still serving the greater good (which is not always 'good' in the sense of pleasing, but rather, what needs to be, even if that means some of us will suffer in the process). if she can, she will, but if she can't, she won't.

This is still evolving. I have so little definite fact from which to work, that I just read and read, form opinions then see how they fit my 'reality' of walking with these deities. Nothing is ever concrete for me, but I do currently seem to have a working path.

Oh I could say so much more, but I really haven't the time.
                Last edited by Jembru; 03 Jul 2012, 12:26.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                X