Removing your name from your previous religion's list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing your name from your previous religion's list

I was just browsing reddit. My new addiction. I came upon (a few to be honest) of people sending in their letter of 'resignation' from their church. I was baptized Catholic but find no need to go through some paperwork to remove my name from a religion I didn't believe in following. Which would seem silly for me to then follow their procedure of removing my name. Anywho...ever thought about it? Done it? Know someone who has done it? I think for some it might prove a very valuable life marker for them.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Removing your name from your previous religion's list

I did it, it was a part of expelling the papal nuncio from Ireland. A lad set up a stock letter to send to the office of a bishop or something in protest. I got a letter back aknowledging it. It worked out anyway the nuncio was recalled and the Irish govt closed the embassy in rome. Hes not coming back.

That said I still consider myself a catholic in the tribal way. Tribals my word of the day today. Im catholic in the way that Im Irish not British. Its got nothing to do with religion so leaving the church meant nothing to me.

Comment

I can see both sides of this. I know some people that become Muslim like to change their name, for example. I guess for them it's like becoming a new person.
      [4:82]

Comment

I think it depends on what *the church* (whichever church that happens to be) represents for you...

...if its just a religion, no biggie.

BUT...if it represents something *other* than just a religion, something that is either (in your eyes) repressive or damaging (Mormons and anti-homosexuality legislation, Catholicism's complete and utter disregard for women, Scientology's stance on mental heath, etc), I can see the point in officially renouncing one's ties as a statement to one's self and the organization.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Never saw a need. I made my opinions clear to the LoH, what his followers have on record doesn't really mean much to me.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I never bothered. Just stopped going (along with the rest of my family). I have no bad feelings towards the church we went to and they're perfectly nice, good-hearted people for the most part...just don't believe anymore. So, I left it at that.

I'm with Thal on this...I think if it represents something you're against, there's more of a reason to do it. I went to a very liberal church (in Canada, officially recognizes gay marriage, has women as ministers, etc) so it was just a belief thing.

Comment

Wow, this is directly in topic for my week.

If you are baptized into, or born a member of the LDS church, it is very difficult to be left alone if you leave.

We celebrated our Independance Day by putting in resignation paperwork for both of us and our kids. Given the advice of people who have done it before and run into various problems ( like sudden contact from your local ward trying to pressure you to return, or the occasional bishop who tries to excommunicate someone who is resigning), we wrote up a formal letter that waived any waiting period, and threatened legal action if they contacted our families about our leaving. Got it notarized and sent priority mail with delivery notification. Sent it in on Wednesday.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                Wow, this is directly in topic for my week.

If you are baptized into, or born a member of the LDS church, it is very difficult to be left alone if you leave.

We celebrated our Independance Day by putting in resignation paperwork for both of us and our kids. Given the advice of people who have done it before and run into various problems ( like sudden contact from your local ward trying to pressure you to return, or the occasional bishop who tries to excommunicate someone who is resigning), we wrote up a formal letter that waived any waiting period, and threatened legal action if they contacted our families about our leaving. Got it notarized and sent priority mail with delivery notification. Sent it in on Wednesday.
                Glad to hear this Dez. I was specifically hoping for your reply here, since I thought of you at the time. You should totally frame any reply back. And point to it when people ask!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                X