Rune meanings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rune meanings

Every rune website I look at has really different meanings for them and it really confuses me is there a set of meanings used alot or is it just up to the person? Thx for any replies

Re: Rune meanings

Are you talking about Elder Futhark runes?
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Yeah I forgot to say srry

Comment

It's okay.
        I am by no means an expert, and there are some on this forum (hopefully they'll drop in) who are far more informed than I, but here's my two cents:
        There are some basic meanings for the runes, but every person that uses and interprets them is going to have a specific take on them. So you will find some interpretations that don't quite match up.
        I tend to agree with this page: www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Tht makes sense all the meanings were very similar thx alot

Comment

The biggest problem with the Elder Futhark IMHO is that it doesn't really have its own designated Rune poem. There is the Norse Rune Poem, the Icelandic one, and the Anglo-Saxon... but the Elder Futhark has the problem that to give each rune a meaning, you need to pick and mix a bit. I started off with it, then moved onto the Anglo-Saxon runes which I find suit me better (though I realise everyone is quite different here.)

I think you need to spend time studying the runes - not just for a method of divination but in order to get to know them better. Runes had many uses, in magic, messages etc and not just for 'fortune telling.'

Bernard Mees wrote a brilliant book on Runes and Runic Amulets.... I seem to rememebr there's a very good preview on Google Books which is just as well as it's rather expensive. It is a bit heavy going, but well worth the effort. Read it when you've read a few other books.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
            X