Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questioning God

Let's start...
    I am on a journey to find the reason "why god create all things, on what purpose?"

this is a pagan forum,
    but i saw other religions beside pagan here,
    and each of you have your own description about god,
    I don't want to suck you all to the same boat ( which might collide as we see in our daily life.. )
    but to find this answer, i need all of your thoughts.

So god created all things, but on what purpose?
    do god need a faithful servants ?
    do god need offering ?
    do god need our thanks ( by worshipping ) just because we are all created by god ?
    I don't even ask to be created.

please, i have no intention to mess with one's religion,
    but seriously, the more i try to understand, the more i confuse.
    how can one be so faithful and dedicated to worship god, while our heart questioning a vital things like this and can't find the answer?

sorry for bad english

Re: Questioning God

First off, welcome!

Second of all... I don't think that god (as I see god) created all things, but rather that "god" is part of the (scientific) creation of all things. I also don't think that god *needs* anything from us, but rather that *we* (at least most of humanity) *need* god.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

If there is a god, and it did create "everything," then I don't think there IS an explanation... Other than for the lulz.

As for the rest, well for that we can't answer. Not really anyway, you'd have to ask the god in question.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        First off, welcome!
        Second of all... I don't think that god (as I see god) created all things, but rather that "god" is part of the (scientific) creation of all things. I also don't think that god *needs* anything from us, but rather that *we* (at least most of humanity) *need* god.
        scientific creation?
        what is that? i don't get it, please explain..

and I thought that science is a list of what human discover in this world, not what they created.
        will you say that human created gravity? I believe it should be "Human Discover Gravity".

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        If there is a god, and it did create "everything," then I don't think there IS an explanation... Other than for the lulz.
        As for the rest, well for that we can't answer. Not really anyway, you'd have to ask the god in question.
        I see, you don't believe in god,
        then I will ask god when my time comes, no problemo

Comment

Originally posted by zaji View Post
          scientific creation?
          what is that? i don't get it, please explain..

and I thought that science is a list of what human discover in this world, not what they created.
          will you say that human created gravity? I believe it should be "Human Discover Gravity".
          Nope. Scientific creation= scientifically described origins of the Universe and of life...like the Big Bang theory and the Theory of Evolution
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Firstly, welcome to the forum, Zaji!

Let's start...
            I am on a journey to find the reason "why god create all things, on what purpose?"
            If you are talking about the Abrahamic god of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, you are talking about a God who created humanity in His image. That means not that we look like God, but that we are imbued with His communicable attributes; self awareness, the ability to reason, the ability to love and be loved, to feel emotions, and relevant to this discussion, the desire to create.

So with that in mind, why does a hobbyist make a model train layout, an artist paint a beautiful painting, or musician compose a song? The answer is simply that they want to.

this is a pagan forum,
            but i saw other religions beside pagan here,
            and each of you have your own description about god,
            I don't want to suck you all to the same boat ( which might collide as we see in our daily life.. )
            but to find this answer, i need all of your thoughts.
            My boat has nice, well padded bumpers, so collisions are not harmful to either party.

Since you are using 'God' as a proper noun, I am answering your questions with the assumption that you are talking about the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God that appears in the scriptures of Abrahamic religions. If this is not what you have in mind, please clarify.

According to scripture, humanity has free will and supposedly angels do not (I say supposedly because at least one angel found the free will to rebel and a third of the remaining angels were either subverted by or had the free will to follow the one Perhaps they were a kind of AI that developed self awareness like the Geth in Mass Effect). According to scripture, humanity lived in harmony and communion with God prior to the fall of man in the garden. So one possible reason was simply to have meaningful relationships with real people.

A more simplistic reason is that He is a creative force and likes to create, and thus, He created the universe and all things in it. Why? Because He felt like it.

No; the Biblical God is all powerful, eternally self sustaining and sustains the existence of the universe, any multiverse, and anything in it. Servants are what the Angels were supposedly created for.

do god need offering ?
            No.

do god need our thanks ( by worshipping ) just because we are all created by god ?
            No.

Nobody needs thanks for anything. It is polite and appropriate when one has provided you with something that you either needed or wanted, be it tangible or intangible.

Some people may take offense at not being thanked, but in terms of their continued existence, they do not need to be thanked.

But everyone appreciates being thanked. One thanks God, the Goddess, the gods, etc. for the good things that they have been given because it is polite. That and we'd like to continue getting those good things; when you don't thank someone, they tend to be less generous in the future.

The creation does not exist prior to being created, thus has no means to ask. It is not until after the creation has been created by the creator that that question can be asked, at which point the creation has already been created, which renders the asking moot.

And personally, I like existing, so I'm not inclined to complain that I didn't have a choice in the matter.

please, i have no intention to mess with one's religion,
            but seriously, the more i try to understand, the more i confuse.
            how can one be so faithful and dedicated to worship god, while our heart questioning a vital things like this and can't find the answer?
            Actually, I don't consider the question of 'Why did God create the universe and everything in it?' to be all that vital, not with regards to dedication and worship. Worship of any god is a two way street to some degree in every religion, including Abrahamic religions, regardless of what adherents of those religions may say. For example, Christians can say whatever they want about how unworthy humanity is and how it is such a privilege to worship God, but ultimately, it all comes down to the fact that they want to go to Heaven after death and be blessed in their daily life until then. Since the alternative to going to Heaven in orthodox Christianity isn't cessation of existence, but continued existence in eternal torment, I can see why they would like to avoid that; according to the Bible, Hell really sucks!

sorry for bad english
            No worries. Your bad english is better than my ability to speak any other language.
            Last edited by Celtic Tiger; 09 Jul 2012, 08:25.

Comment

I wouldn't say they created universe. After all, what did they arise from? I believe they probably arose from random natural forces, just as we did. However, I believe they gave the universe its current shape and rules, even if they didn't necessarily create existence itself.

Many mythologies portray the Gods as maintaining the harmony and balance of the universe. In many, they postpone the end of the world. For that, I think it is right to thankful and respectful.
              If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

As in his purpose or ours?
                No.
                do god need offering ?
                No.
                No.

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger View Post
                If you are talking about the Abrahamic god of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, you are talking about a God who created humanity in His image.
                I just wanted to point out that Islam does not share that same idea. There is nothing like or equal to god ;-)
                [4:82]

Comment

I don't think he did, really. I think Man created Yahwe, and the various other pantheons, and imbued those deities with power through collective worship.
                  do god need a faithful servants?
                  Yes. A god without followers is a god without influence.
                  do god need offering ?
                  I think offerings, of one kind or another, are a congregation's way of feeling like they are contributing to the church that provides them with spiritual peace.
                  Again, I don't think we are created by any deity, so no.
                  Nothing ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                    I just wanted to point out that Islam does not share that same idea. There is nothing like or equal to god ;-)
                    Ah. My thanks!

Comment

okay, can't find the answer here as well :=(:
                      thanks for the responds, but it simply not enough..

you guys believe in "coincidence" and "random force"
                      while I don't believe that a big bang can cause this balance life, the route which planets revolve, sun as the centre, and other things by random chance.

I wish I could start a thread about "I'd like to know about pagan, how to be one"
                      but I have something that always disturb my mind, the god.

thanks

Comment

Like Celtic Tiger said, it seems like you are talking about the Abrahamic God. I was born and raised Catholic so I do understand some basic principles of Him. The one thing I have learned over the years is that if I was born in say.....India, I would believe in Brahma.....if I were born in China, I might believe in Buddha. I can't imagine then, that 'God' would punish me for being born in these places and believing in other 'Gods'....and, well, if He did, I wouldn't really be interested in worshiping a deity like that.

Secondly, I don't think there is any disparity between believing in God and believing in 'random force'. Isn't God capable of creating such random force? According to the Abrahamic God, of course He is.

At any rate, I have long let go of a God who requires a league of faithful followers and who requires worship and sacrifices to appease. In my opinion, if He needs those things, then He isn't what He says he is, in the first place.

You DID get answers here.....just not ones that match up to your own ideas.
                        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

okay, can't find the answer here as well :=(:
                          thanks for the responds, but it simply not enough..

you guys believe in "coincidence" and "random force"
                          while I don't believe that a big bang can cause this balance life, the route which planets revolve, sun as the centre, and other things by random chance.

I wish I could start a thread about "I'd like to know about pagan, how to be one"
                          but I have something that always disturb my mind, the god.

thanks
                          Actually, your characterization of what we collectively believe in is not accurate. I'm not sure how you arrive there anyway, as you really haven't asked us about our beliefs; you asked questions about existence and creation and "God." And we've answered your questions as best we could, but you are rather vague about what you mean when you say, "God."

Perhaps instead of asking why God did this or God did that, you should first determine what "God" means to you and investigate the nature of God. That might be more helpful to you than asking a series of questions to people who do not know where you're coming from.

Comment

Are you familiar with the Anthropic Principle?
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

ah I see, my bad then.. for forcing everyone to answer like I've learned.. :=(:

I don't wanna talk about god, feel so ashamed of myself :=S:
                              Let's change the topic..
                              does the wiccan spell always works?
                              is there any relation between spell 'sentences/words' (I have no idea what its called) and science?
                              or it simply some words to communicate with god and goddess in order to make the spell happen?

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              Are you familiar with the Anthropic Principle?
                              well, not at all, and I wouldn't try to be familiar with that

Comment

Working...
                              X