Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wicca for guys

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan

Wicca for guys

I know that for females life stages are referred to as maiden, mother and crone. Do men get anything similar?

Also I notice that a lot of wicca is traditionally feminine and a lot of the books I read talk about femeine energy and traditions. What are the masculine ones?

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

Re: Wicca for guys

The Lord/God is the Lady/Goddess's consort, so a lot of people see him as sort of her right hand and the structure of covens often mirrors that. Technically they're supposed to be manifestations of the One and are meant to be in balance but some traditions like the Dianic tradition focus on the Goddess. The idea as I see it is more yin/yang than anything. The God is praised in relation to the sun and the Goddess, the moon.
    The Holly and Oak Kings are prominent figures in modern Wiccan lore- they represent the seasons and the cycle of the year and aren't exactly comparable to the maiden/mother/crone triad but they're important. So there are male figures.
    I think wicca seems feminine to us because we're used to everything being so dominated by masculinity, haha. But there are definitely dominant feminine themes that are stressed depending on the exact path in question.

selume proferre

Apr 2005
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixMask View Post
    I know that for females life stages are referred to as maiden, mother and crone. Do men get anything similar?
    There's nothing that's as widely used. The oak king and holly king are pretty popular, though. I've also seen youth - father - sage used. Hunter, king, sacrificed-god, child, warrior, wise-man, are all alternatives to those, seen in various combinations.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan

Quote Originally Posted by orchestrion View Post
    I think wicca seems feminine to us because we're used to everything being so dominated by masculinity
    Now that I look at my books most of them are by women. Perhaps that is why there is more stuff pertaining to women that I know of.

Kinda wish there was a wicca for dudes book or something. I'll have to google it.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

Personally I don't think wicca having strong feminine themes makes it not "for dudes". Women practice abrahamic traditions which are very male centric.

selume proferre

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

http://www.amazon.com/Wicca-Men-Hand.../dp/080652023X

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...words&id=12741

Gerald Gardner is mentioned in the article. He wrote from a straight, male perspective. Not that it matters but there are books for gay males in wicca. I would imagine it to be a different perspective.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

I mean there's also Scott Cunningham whom I love and I haven't read his books in a while but I seem to recall him talking about the God and Goddess pretty equally.
    LGBT perspectives on Wicca are really interesting because Wicca is kind of heteronormative.
    Though my feeling is that it's an emphasis on fertility and the balance of certain masculine and feminine traits, not necessarily "WOMEN AND MEN ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN BE TOGETHER AND ALSO WOMEN ARE SUPERIOR". The God and Goddess represent certain characteristics to me, not necessarily their physical sexes alone.

selume proferre

Aug 2011
    Religion
    Pantheism
    Phrase
    If I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm not too proud to change my ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by orchestrion View Post
    Personally I don't think wicca having strong feminine themes makes it not "for dudes". Women practice abrahamic traditions which are very male centric.
    Love this.
    Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Nothing formal, but my spouse finds the Male Aesir to be excellent examples of different points in a man's life. He will do things using Balder or Frey for youth, Thor or Tyr for adult manhood, and Odin for elder wisdom, adjusting depending on what, exactly, he's trying to do. The path Odin takes is also very compelling, and hits all those same points.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

This is just anecdotal, but I have noticed that a lot of straight male pagans distance themselves from Wicca. There's a definite trend
    I'm not sure what exactly that might mean though. Clearly, many male pagans have no problem embracing a feminine deity, since even the non-Wiccans like myself recognize one in some form. I don't think that's the entire reason.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.