Wicca for guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicca for guys

I know that for females life stages are referred to as maiden, mother and crone. Do men get anything similar?

Also I notice that a lot of wicca is traditionally feminine and a lot of the books I read talk about femeine energy and traditions. What are the masculine ones?

Re: Wicca for guys

The Lord/God is the Lady/Goddess's consort, so a lot of people see him as sort of her right hand and the structure of covens often mirrors that. Technically they're supposed to be manifestations of the One and are meant to be in balance but some traditions like the Dianic tradition focus on the Goddess. The idea as I see it is more yin/yang than anything. The God is praised in relation to the sun and the Goddess, the moon.
    The Holly and Oak Kings are prominent figures in modern Wiccan lore- they represent the seasons and the cycle of the year and aren't exactly comparable to the maiden/mother/crone triad but they're important. So there are male figures.
    I think wicca seems feminine to us because we're used to everything being so dominated by masculinity, haha. But there are definitely dominant feminine themes that are stressed depending on the exact path in question.

selume proferre

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixMask View Post
      I know that for females life stages are referred to as maiden, mother and crone. Do men get anything similar?
      There's nothing that's as widely used. The oak king and holly king are pretty popular, though. I've also seen youth - father - sage used. Hunter, king, sacrificed-god, child, warrior, wise-man, are all alternatives to those, seen in various combinations.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
        I think wicca seems feminine to us because we're used to everything being so dominated by masculinity
        Now that I look at my books most of them are by women. Perhaps that is why there is more stuff pertaining to women that I know of.

Kinda wish there was a wicca for dudes book or something. I'll have to google it.

Comment

Personally I don't think wicca having strong feminine themes makes it not "for dudes". Women practice abrahamic traditions which are very male centric.

selume proferre

Comment

Gerald Gardner is mentioned in the article. He wrote from a straight, male perspective. Not that it matters but there are books for gay males in wicca. I would imagine it to be a different perspective.

Comment

I mean there's also Scott Cunningham whom I love and I haven't read his books in a while but I seem to recall him talking about the God and Goddess pretty equally.
              LGBT perspectives on Wicca are really interesting because Wicca is kind of heteronormative.
              Though my feeling is that it's an emphasis on fertility and the balance of certain masculine and feminine traits, not necessarily "WOMEN AND MEN ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN BE TOGETHER AND ALSO WOMEN ARE SUPERIOR". The God and Goddess represent certain characteristics to me, not necessarily their physical sexes alone.

selume proferre

Comment

Personally I don't think wicca having strong feminine themes makes it not "for dudes". Women practice abrahamic traditions which are very male centric.
                Love this.
                Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Nothing formal, but my spouse finds the Male Aesir to be excellent examples of different points in a man's life. He will do things using Balder or Frey for youth, Thor or Tyr for adult manhood, and Odin for elder wisdom, adjusting depending on what, exactly, he's trying to do. The path Odin takes is also very compelling, and hits all those same points.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

This is just anecdotal, but I have noticed that a lot of straight male pagans distance themselves from Wicca. There's a definite trend
                    I'm not sure what exactly that might mean though. Clearly, many male pagans have no problem embracing a feminine deity, since even the non-Wiccans like myself recognize one in some form. I don't think that's the entire reason.
                    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

This is very true. I was just saying a book for guys would be cool. I don't mind feminine themes, I just find them hard to identify with sometimes. Masculine themes and guides make more sense to me because I feel I can relate to them more.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixMask View Post
                        This is very true. I was just saying a book for guys would be cool. I don't mind feminine themes, I just find them hard to identify with sometimes. Masculine themes and guides make more sense to me because I feel I can relate to them more.
                        Have you heard of "The Flowering Rod: Men and Their Role in Paganism" by Kenny Klein? It might be worth checking out: http://www.amazon.com/The-Flowering-...2097586&sr=1-3

Comment

All things being equal, perhaps the problem is that you need to learn how to experience and accept your feminine self instead of searching for a male-centric icon to worship in totality.

Without the sun, there can be no life. The God plays a major (and equal) role in Wicca. Stages of life can be represented by the holly an oak kings and it is rom these 3 that you can garner support for your masculine needs. Not to mention the countless male deities present you can choose to worship.

When you think about it, pretty much all solstices festivals are the god's domain, and the stories are equally distributed between the god and the goddess.

Perhaps you are uncomfortable with the idea that wicca is notentirely male-centric like many other religions and much of the world around us. If that's the case, maybe wicca is not for you.

There is a balance, if you choose to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as an afterthought: there's a difference between "feminine" and "female", and just because a deity is perceived as different gender than you doesn't mean you can't relate.

Maiden, mother and crone can be understood by men and related to. Even men were once young. Even men have a caring, nurturing and protective ability. Even men grow old and wise.

Slapping a vagina on that concept doesn't make it any less relatable to those who don't have vaginas. it is entirely irrelevant.
                          Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Wondering View Post
                            All things being equal, perhaps the problem is that you need to learn how to experience and accept your feminine self instead of searching for a male-centric icon to worship in totality.

Without the sun, there can be no life. The God plays a major (and equal) role in Wicca. Stages of life can be represented by the holly an oak kings and it is rom these 3 that you can garner support for your masculine needs. Not to mention the countless male deities present you can choose to worship.

When you think about it, pretty much all solstices festivals are the god's domain, and the stories are equally distributed between the god and the goddess.

Perhaps you are uncomfortable with the idea that wicca is not entirely male-centric like many other religions and much of the world around us. If that's the case, maybe wicca is not for you.

There is a balance, if you choose to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as an afterthought: there's a difference between "feminine" and "female", and just because a deity is perceived as different gender than you doesn't mean you can't relate.

Maiden, mother and crone can be understood by men and related to. Even men were once young. Even men have a caring, nurturing and protective ability. Even men grow old and wise.

Slapping a vagina on that concept doesn't make it any less relatable to those who don't have vaginas. it is entirely irrelevant.
                            Ugh such a good post.

PhoenixMask, I think you definitely would do well to remember that feminine =/= female. Everyone- e v e r y o n e- has traits that could be considered masculine and feminine. I think that's a really important part of Wicca, understanding that. Not saying that Wicca isn't right for you but it's important to look at these traits from all sides and I would try to refrain from limiting myself to just straight male views of Wicca if I were you. though I may be a wee bit biased...
                            Last edited by orchestrion; 12 Jul 2012, 14:56.

selume proferre

Comment

Working...
                            X