Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan/folk metal!

Anyone else really love this genre?
    My favorite bands right now are Arkona and Eluveitie.
    I'm sure there are more of you around here who are into this music. If not you must go listen immediately, I commandeth thee.

selume proferre

Re: Pagan/folk metal!

It sounds amazing! I have a lot of friends who are into music like that, but I've never heard anything like this.
    Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
    http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's like the perfect combination of folk and metal and aghhhh I just really really love this genre
      especially Arkona. Arkona is amazing.

selume proferre

Comment

Folk metal WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY \m/

I saw eluvetie live in germany a few years ago they were one of the best bands at the festival. The 'celtic metal' subgenre of folk metal started here and theres tonnes of established bands theres Cruachan, Waylander, Old Season, Mael Mordha, Darkest Era, Geasa, Primordial and one of my favorite new bands Celtachor. Its great stuff.

If were talking folk metal though Fintroll and Korpiklaani have to get a mention. Trollhammeren is a tune for the ages and you cant say more pagan then Sami Folk metal. If you dont laugh at the deadpan fiddle player in this video someones stolen your soul

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fairly cool vid too another korpiklaani one where a lumberjack learns a lesson about the environment and korpiklaani steal his food and his drink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qckFjcG5E

Comment

Ahh Finntroll's pretty good. and you are not the first person who's said good things about Korpiklaani to me, think it's time for me to check this out. XD
          Also Troll Gnet El' is quite good.
          I didn't know there was a whole celtic subset, awesome XD i knew there were bands that fit the bill but didn't think it was its own little niche.

selume proferre

Comment

Ah some journo decided it was a subgenre haha. Its somethin to brag about :P

Im having a tough time being positive at the mo, seeing the bad in everyone but this tune really sings my spirit to a better if dark place. Mael Mordha ABU!

Comment

I like Eluveitie, Korpiklaani and, although it's not metal as such, Wardruna. I'll have to check out some of the other bands mentioned here Anyone know of anyone doing this kind of thing with English, Scottish or Irish folk?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some Wardruna

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bn1ct1xomoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agh feck it here's the link http://youtu.be/bn1ct1xomoY
              Last edited by Maythe; 14 Jul 2012, 07:08. Reason: embed didn't work
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

I dunno about English or Scottish folk trad but theres a few that throw in Irish folk Trad covers

Geasa - spancil hill
                Geasa - Spansill Hill from the Angel's Cry album.ohi.

Cruachan - Ride On

A fairly epic Brazilian celtic metal band Tuatha de Danann - Follow me up to carlow
                Its one of my favorite trad tunes cos it features the massively historically neglected Byrne sept of Gabhail Ragnal and is one of the bloodiest songs in Irish folk trad \m/ Its funny the way they mispronounce all the words too hehe
                ♥♥~~Info~~♥♥Song: Follow Me Up To CarlowArtist: Tùatha Dé DanannPic: Anime Warrior Girl♥♥~~Notes~~♥♥Sorry if ratings and comments are disabled, but last time...

Talkin folk metal we cant neglect one of the progenitor bands. Mighty on the cheese though they be! hehe
                In Extremo's famous cover of the icelandic folk tune - Krummavisur. Hurray for crows \m/
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Oh man that rendition of Krummavisur was awesome. Rekindles my desperate need to learn the harp. XD

selume proferre

Comment

Cool - thanks for the recommendations In Extremo are new to me - love this track.
                    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Falkenbach is probably my favourite band

Comment

I had not known about this type of Metal,I am an OLD metal head,but have not kept up. I really like this style,and will seek out this music in future.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

mental is related to everyone , so we should care about the soul of ourselves. and you will be healthy .

Comment

Love a lot of the bands mentioned here. Dalriada is also worth a listen

Comment

Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X