Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what is magick

Originally posted by frankophonic View Post
    Quoting Paracelsus and Agrippa makes me think of an Umberto Eco novel. That probably does not move this conversation forward...but I love Eco. That is all.
    why don't you think paracelsus and agrippa is not good for magick? besides magick is a 100% mind thing. what do you mean by that? do you want to say that by applying mind you can do wonderful things like you can see future or you can become something else etc. i don't think so.

if you're right then anybody and everyone can have the same magickal faculty since everyone has a mind. but none have those magical powers.
    there is a lot difference between theory and practice. practice comes before theory. practical wisdom is more valuable than theoritical "knowledge".

Comment

Originally posted by xxx200 View Post
      if you're right then anybody and everyone can have the same magickal faculty since everyone has a mind.
      That's not true at all.
      That's like saying everyone has the same level of intelligence or the same level of eloquence because we all have minds.
      Last edited by orchestrion; 15 Jul 2012, 16:30.

selume proferre

Comment

Myths are not always constant in what they tell nor how they tell it. THey are fluid, and in that respect one could argue that Shakespeare, Homer etc are just part of the myth.

Herodotus, writing in the fifth century BCE claimed that Homer and Hesiod “gave to the gods their titles and clarified their provinces’ (The Histories, II.53)**. This suggests there had once been a deliberate literary attempt to refine a pre-existing cosmosology from earlier oral sources. Personally, I think Shakespeare contains a great deal of useful information in his writings (especially perhaps in the Tempest) but he has to be read correctly.

With regard to magic (sorry, can't bring myself to add that final 'k') I believe we all have magical abilities. These will vary according to temperament, circumstances, even heredity. Not everyone chooses to develop them. Of those that do, they may head off in a different direction.

It's a bit like singing... I've never yet met anyone I couldn't teach to carry a tune. But what they sing, and how they sing it.... ah, that's a different matter entirely.

** Not sure what your personal view of Herodotus may be. He has been called 'The Father of History' but also 'THe Father of Lies'.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Myths are not always constant in what they tell nor how they tell it. THey are fluid, and in that respect one could argue that Shakespeare, Homer etc are just part of the myth.
          my point in using shakespeare or homar is that they might have heard about magick i mentioned here. in fact pliny the elder in his natural history wrote many of magickal powers of natural things like herbs, stones etc. not everybody is talking myth. actually i want to support my view of magic with writings of those eminent people.

With regard to magic (sorry, can't bring myself to add that final 'k') I believe we all have magical abilities. These will vary according to temperament, circumstances, even heredity. Not everyone chooses to develop them. Of those that do, they may head off in a different direction.
          exactly what kind of magickal power do everyone has? can you name those power? besides if everyone has magical powers then these powers can be seen in those people who develops them. can you give me an example of such kind of people with magical power?

** Not sure what your personal view of Herodotus may be. He has been called 'The Father of History' but also 'THe Father of Lies'. ;

- - - Updated - - -

natural element like herbs and stones show their magickal power under some planetory influences. some show their power without planetory influences. pliny the elder wrote about them in his book natural history.

for example: loadstone has attractive power that can be seen at any time. sun flower blooms when the sun rises( planetory influence)

there is a thing called attraction or sympathy. things get attracted to each other. our sun flower got attracted to sun. evening primrose blooms at evening. this is also a useful part of magickal art.
          there is a lot difference between theory and practice. practice comes before theory. practical wisdom is more valuable than theoritical "knowledge".

Comment

after 26 views and 0 reply i think that either people in this forum did not like magick , nor they understood my writings nor they like logical thinking.its quite simple but i finally understood.

fine

thank you.
            You are assuming an awful lot considering that when you posted this, nobody had responded yet.

This is my first view of this topic, but lack of response is not always lack of interest. I see a lot of topics here and read through them but do not always respond; they may interest me, but I may not feel that I have anything relevant to contribute or I may not have the time to respond in the fashion that I would like, and so come back to it later.

Sometimes, I post a lot and contribute to the degree that I am able. Other times, I have no time for web discussion. Being a single dad with full custody of my kids kind of has that effect. I'm sure that other people here have circumstances in their lives that similarly intrude into their time for web discussions.

In short, don't take it personally.

In any case, it looks like discussion is proceeding apace. Sometimes, a thread just needs a little jump start.

- - - Updated - - -

my thread will begin with the question: what is magick? this is the main question which i will try to answer in this thread.
            Putting aside differences in spelling, magic is a catch all term that includes stage magic and illusion, fortune telling, religious ceremony, alchemy, spell craft, astral projection, contacting other planes, binding or calling upon spirits, faerie folk, and all manner of whimsey.

No offense, but I never cared for MacBeth, so I will leave that to others to discuss.
            Last edited by Celtic Tiger; 16 Jul 2012, 06:16.

Comment

exactly what kind of magickal power do everyone has? can you name those power? besides if everyone has magical powers then these powers can be seen in those people who develops them. can you give me an example of such kind of people with magical power?
              I believe that most people experience contact with the spirit world, they experience precognition, they experience using their will upon others etc. Possessing a power and choosing to develop it further however are two different things. Some people have great natural ability but choose (for a variety of reasons) to suppress it. Others have far less, but choose to work on it and develop it.

I think it is important to differentiate between authors such as Homer and Shakespeare (who were writing fiction) and Pliny the Elder whose Natural History was intended (mostly) to be factually based, or at least, facts as he saw them, although he did occasionally draw attention to thing he felt were anomalous.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
              X