Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oils

I heard that you can make oils for spells and such. I know that olive oil is a good base for that, but I was wondering how else you would make them and what type of container I could put them in?

When I have a job I plan on buying little glass bottles, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime?

I just have to get mom to buy more olive oil.
    Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
    http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Re: Oils

I make my lavender and witch hazel oil using 1/2 cup olive oil and I/4 cup herb. I bake it in a ceramic or glass container at 250 for 6 hours. I strain it into a mason (canning) jar until I can put it in the brown vile like bottles. I know almond oil is used as a base for things but I have no experience with it other than lotion I make. It's good for skin and smells good.

Comment

I'm glad you posted this, Ementine, because I've been wondering the same thing! Oils are just so damn expensive and I would really love to learn how to make some of them on my own. It's more personal that way, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        I make my lavender and witch hazel oil using 1/2 cup olive oil and I/4 cup herb. I bake it in a ceramic or glass container at 250 for 6 hours. I strain it into a mason (canning) jar until I can put it in the brown vile like bottles. I know almond oil is used as a base for things but I have no experience with it other than lotion I make. It's good for skin and smells good.
        That sounds interesting.

Can I use any herbs or flowers I want?

Comment

Originally posted by Ementine View Post
          That sounds interesting.

Can I use any herbs or flowers I want?
          As long as it's not toxic if rubbed on the skin and you don't eat it your fine.

Comment

Okay, thats awesome. Thank you.

I'm going to have Mom get more olive oil, I just have to find something to put it in.

Comment

I heard that you can make oils for spells and such. I know that olive oil is a good base for that, but I was wondering how else you would make them and what type of container I could put them in?
              Olive oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, almond oil, grape seed oil, canola oil, and apricot or peach kernel oil are all examples of different carrier oils one could use. Don't use baby oil/mineral oil. My personal favorite is almond or apricot kernel, but everyone has different preferences. Olive oil is fine, but use the light kind, not something like extra virgin (and save the real good stuff for eating). Extra virgin is okay for some uses, making scented body scrubs and such, but not really the best (in my experience) for scented oils. Anything that has a fairly mild smell on it's own is best.

You can just add a few drops of essential oil to the carrier oil and be done with it. Essential oils can be expensive though, but then, a little goes a long way. If you find yourself using a lot of one herb, it may be cheaper to get the oil than buy the herb. (If you're picking your own, that may be another matter.)

As was mentioned, the other method is putting the herbs into the oil. I personally don't heat mine, but instead cover some dry herb completely in oil, and let it sit for... well, depends on the herb, but usually about a week. The jars get tipped, gently, upside down and back up again a few times a day. It's a longer process, but I also like to use that time to charge/bless the oils. If you're going to use fresh herbs, be sure to wash and dry them very well. Either way, strain the oil when it's done (when the scent has really been imparted), as leaving the herbs in can cause the oil to go rancid. Heating also works, when done gently, but sometimes it can also cause the oil to go rancid quicker... Takes a bit of reading up on the subject, and experimenting with different methods to find which works best for you. (You can also make herbal vinegars by letting herbs sit in vinegar. Smells like salad dressing, but it has it's uses. Tinctures are made with herbs in an alcohol like vodka.)

As far as storage, air-tight glass containers really are the way to go. Ceramic also works. Plastic and metal aren't recommended. (That goes for heating, too! Don't heat oil/herbs over the stove in a metal pot, or in the oven in a metal dish.) As a side note, oils made in this way are not essential oils, they're made differently.
              If you're planning on eating your oils, please be sure to read lots on food safety. You can get botulism if you're not careful.
              Last edited by Gardenia; 16 Jul 2012, 09:57.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Oh wow, that's great because we have vegetable oil and I've wanted to make an oil with dried rose that I have and look around for some other stuff I could use.

- - - Updated - - -

Could I warm it in something like cast iron pan or something like that?
                I'm not sure oil and rose would last in the oven, lol

Comment

Could I warm it in something like cast iron pan or something like that?
                  I'm not sure oil and rose would last in the oven, lol
                  No, I wouldn't recommend cast iron. Cast iron is usually seasoned, and that would probably affect the outcome of the oil (and, probably the seasoning on the pan). Most metals aren't recommended because they can react to the oils in the herbs in a bad way. Glass really is best. If nothing else, a stainless steel double broiler might work out. Stainless steel over direct heat runs a bit more risk of damaging the oil. (I forgot to mention earlier, that if you use the stove-top a double broiler is best.) If you have a thick glass bowl you might be able to make your own double broiler, you can google around for how to do that. The oven could also work fine if you used really low heat.

What are you planning to store the oil in?
                  Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I emptied out a air tight jar that had a dead plant in it. I've decided to just let the rose and cinnamon sit in the oil for a few days and see how it comes out. It's easier then making even more dishes I can do. Once my mom gets more dried herbs, I can experiment with different things.

It's sad that I had to remove the dead plant, I always feel sad whenever anything dies.

Comment

You have to use something non pourous like the glass or ceramic. No cast iron.

Comment

I emptied out a air tight jar that had a dead plant in it. I've decided to just let the rose and cinnamon sit in the oil for a few days and see how it comes out.
                        You'll probably have to let it sit at least a week, remember to give it a gentle turn or swirl each day or so. If you can let it sit in a warm (but not super hot) area of the house, it will help.
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

From my blog:

Carrier Oils

How to infuse oils

Other herbal infusions and preparations
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X