Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rituals for those with mental disorders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals for those with mental disorders?

Hello, I'm curious to know something, and I'm crossing my fingers on a method that works for me. I have several symptoms and take medication for some mental issues I have, including mood swings, anxiety, depression, and mild hallucinations. Beyond the doctor and pills, I was wondering if there was any rituals that would be healthy for easing the mind, especially during a negative mood or anxiety attacks.

I am completely incapable of any form of meditation. I just can't. My mind is always running 90 miles a minute, and it's barely touched when taking my meds. So, if we can survive without mediation, that would be fantastic.

I am truly interested in such rituals. I have never performed a (I guess you could say 'real') ritual before, although I have been pagan for about four years or so. (I've spent most of my time gaining as much basic knowledge as possible.) Step-by-steps and a little list of any basic supplies will go a long way with me. I'm a poor pagan, so bare with me on supplies. (I have taken note of the special sticky for the no-so-wealthy ^^ )

So back on track! Not sure how much it concerns the subject, but I do smoke marijuana to scrape some tension off of my anxiety and to keep me eating (depression and anxiety makes it almost impossible to eat), so if weed will disrupt the basic idea of a ritual or will help a ritual, please specify. You don't have to say a word about it if you don't think it would make a difference. (I'll probably try everything both ways no matter what, just in case.)

Many, many thanks to anyone who can help me out. Again, my medications help, but it's not a cure all and some days are just overwhelming.
    Butterscotch April Rain
    ~ C H I L D ~

mary-jane snowfluff mousie chuck

Re: Rituals for those with mental disorders?

Do you try meditation often? If not, I would just suggest meditating. If you have trouble focusing, it will probably be pretty difficult at first, but it's a skill that can be built over time if one has patience and the will to learn it

Comment

Originally posted by Passionate Equestrian View Post
      I am completely incapable of any form of meditation. I just can't. My mind is always running 90 miles a minute, and it's barely touched when taking my meds. So, if we can survive without mediation, that would be fantastic.
      There are different forms of meditation, not all are the clear/empty mind variety. Some have you focus your thoughts on a single thing, which can be easier for some than trying to be totally clear. Or reciting mantras/prayers (maybe with prayer beads), or guided meditations may help. Doing something like drumming, or using a rattle can also help with meditation. Or just letting your thoughts go without really focusing on them. Instead of sitting still, you may find a form of meditation that involves walking may be better suited to you. Lots of different ways, so don't feel you have to leave that out totally - and as was said, many find meditation in general difficult at first, but with practice it becomes easier.

You might also like to try basic energy work, such as grounding and centering yourself. There are many different ways to do both of those as well, so you might want to google around for a few ideas to try if you're unfamiliar with those practices.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I've tried several methods. Focusing on a clear mind, focusing on a single subject - the closest I've come is pacing anxiously while being zoned out on a daydream of me riding my filly. (It's a daydream that'll set me up for disappointment when I actually get her broke lol.) As for letting them race without focusing? I try that when I'm pathetically trying to get my brain to shut up, haha.

What exactly is a "guided mediation"?

I have to take my medication every morning and evening.
        Butterscotch April Rain
        ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

the closest I've come is pacing anxiously while being zoned out on a daydream of me riding my filly.
          Have you tried walking meditations? This site gives an example. Sometimes the movement helps one focus on something, or the focus on the body is enough to still the mind. Might be worth a try.

What exactly is a "guided mediation"?
          It's where you listen to a recording (or, a live person) that, well, guides you through a specific meditation. Sometimes they're almost like stories, and you picture yourself in the surrounding they describe, sometimes fitting in your own details... such as, you enter a grove, what animal do you see, or a person is there, what do they say to you... something like that. Sometimes you can memorize the meditation beforehand and just do it yourself, but it might be easier to find a recording you like (or make one) to help keep focus. There are tons of different guided meditations out there, with all different purposes.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Okay, thanks. Shall give these two things a try since I haven't tried 'em yet.

Someone on another site (I posted this onto it to see if anyone different had ideas for me as well), and I was told I couldn't do rituals because my mind "wasn't disciplined." How is a chronic mental disorder equal to that of an undisciplined mind? The comment kinda stung. I was wondering if you agreed?
            Butterscotch April Rain
            ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

No, I don't agree. I think it's a matter of practice, and finding what works for you. There are a lot of ways to be spiritual, and I think it would be pretty unlikely to find nothing that works for you.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thank you, that brings some comfort to my mind. I've been suggested yoga and guided by a couple of messengers, so thank you for your idea. I'm definitely going to try guided now. Maybe guided and walking at the same time will help me focus on the words that the guide speaks.
                Butterscotch April Rain
                ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

Thank you, that brings some comfort to my mind. I've been suggested yoga and guided by a couple of messengers, so thank you for your idea. I'm definitely going to try guided now. Maybe guided and walking at the same time will help me focus on the words that the guide speaks.
                  I know you said absolutely no meditation, but it's such a shame because meditation can really help anxiety and depression!

Not trying to push it on you as you've said how difficult it is. It took me years of trying to finally be able to keep my mind focused on a single thing, so i sort of feel you on that front.

Yoga may help-or any activity really. Anything that requires you to stay focused. What worked for me was running. I haaaaaate to run, and i'm really out of shape so in order to keep myself from falling over i needed immense amounts of focus and concentration. "One more block, just one more block", over and over again, until i was counting down seconds..."one more second, one more second".

Good luck.
                  Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe if I can get into riding lessons again, it'll train me to focus as well.
                    Butterscotch April Rain
                    ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

I think "walking meditation" sounds like an interesting solution. I like to walk and I find it soothing. My mind becomes clear on long walks.

Comment

Ok I'm not a theist. But I am bi polar. I understand completely your inability to meditate. I can't do it for the life of me either. But what does calm my mind? Crocheting. I know it's weird. But you are mentally incapable of actually thinking of anything besides knit one, pearl two. People who have been in grief counseling have been assigned crocheting and knitting to ease the depression.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My grandma taught be how to do the chain. I haven't done it in years. Not sure what your terms mean, as I've never used them before, but I do think about the action while I'm doing it.
                          Butterscotch April Rain
                          ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

My grandma taught be how to do the chain. I haven't done it in years. Not sure what your terms mean, as I've never used them before, but I do think about the action while I'm doing it.
                            Yeah it's the same thing.
                            I only know how to do the chain and some basic circle stuff. But I just sit there and make the loop, make the loop, make the loop. It's hypnotic.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Huh. Maybe that'll help. Never thought about any of that, but then again, I didn't know doctors asked patients to do it as a sort of focus point.
                              Butterscotch April Rain
                              ~ C H I L D ~

Comment

Working...
                              X