Weight gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight gain

This seems like the most suitable place to put this, as I guess it is food related, but feel free to move it if needs be.

According to my doctor, I am not underweight but I am getting very close. In fact, I am just a few kg away from being underweight and I feel terrible and, to be honest, I look awful. She says there is no reason for being so tiny (i.e - she ruled out any possible underlying causes) and it is down to a poor diet.

My general health is getting worse. I have no energy, no get-up-and-go and my skin and hair are dull and lifeless. My eyes are also so sunken I think they are about to pop out the back of my head.

My question is this. How do I gain weight in a healthy way? My goal weight is 75kg and my current weight is just under 68kg. (For anyone who wants to know, I am 6 foot 4ish.) Some people have suggested doing weights but that's all the advice I have so far. What sort of things should I be doing and what should I be eating? Just as importantly, how much of everything should I be getting?

if it helps with any sort of meal-plan type thingy, I eat everything apart from fish.

Re: Weight gain

I've been there before. I didn't really need to gain weight, but I had to stop losing weight.

It helps if you track your calories. Sometimes people have the opposite problem from people who gain weight, and miscalculate how much they're eating. You may just have to eat a bit more. I used DailyPlate on livestrong.com, but I heard Spark People is also helpful. These also track the nutritional content of food, which is important when you're trying to get more calories in while still staying healthy.

healthy fats are great. avocados, nuts...stuff like that. You can eat more things like eggs and cheese, but be aware of the added cholesterol. Salmon is also full of good fats (I'd give it a chance!), and so is olive oil.
    Also eat lots of fibre rich carbs like whole grains. I also love sweet potatoes, and I eat a ton of fruit. Fruit is low calorie, but if you eat lots of it, it adds up. It IS high sugar, so if you have to watch that, beware, but it's also full of fibre and vitamins

You should also talk to your doctor about this. I'm sure she'll have lots of advice as well. It's also important to rule out any other causes for your weight loss and low energy.

Comment

Do you generally eat healthily? I'm a big believer in just giving your body what it needs. Chances are, it knows what to do. Make sure to eat balanced foods and get enough of a little bit of everything.

Comment

Yeah you can do that, but if you don't eat enough, you'll still lose weight.

Comment

I'm in the same exact situation as you. Ours heights and therefor weight might differ, but I'm a skinny guy!

First of all I'm glad you made sure there's no underlying illness. That's a very smart first step. I'd just add that an underlying cause could also be something psychological. Something as simple as stress can affect your weight greatly. I'm saying this because you talk about having no energy so I'd also look into that.

Now gaining weight is a simple matter of maths. How many calories do you eat every day, and how much energy is your body burning? If you want to gain weight in a healthy way and not just gain extra fat, I'd say the simplest way to gain weight is to eat healthy and exercise well.

You are right that lifting weight is good for you because it will bulk up the muscles as opposed to just gaining fat on your body. Overall, you'll need to just make sure you are getting much more calories in your diet. If you have a problem with eating a lot, the best thing to do is to have frequent meals throughout the day. Eat between 5-6 a day. You'll also need to increase your protein intake. That's the building block of your muscles!

Here's a helpful article: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-to-gain-weight

If you need help on exercise let me know!
          [4:82]

Comment

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

These may be of some use to you:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...=massgaindiets

Comment

My boyfriend has this problem. He has a BMI of just over 17 and hates how skinny he looks. However, he really doesn't eat nearly as much as he believes he does. He lives on fast food, junk, pizzas, and very little fruit or veg, so assumes as the media says these things make you fat, that he should be over weight too. But on closer inspection, he eats NOTHING else. So might have a fried breakfast, then crisps for lunch, then a 10 inch pizza for dinner, followed by nothing!

Now and then, he would gain a little weight, because I'd make sure he ate regular meals of at least 700 calories, but just one or two nighys at his mum's place, was enough to make him lose that again.

My dream is that he finds work quickly so I can start making him home-cooked food from natural ingredients every day. I plan to buy protein shakes and serve those with every meal. If I am able to do this, I'll let you know if it works.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I know you say you've been tested for underlying causes but doctors often don't check for a B12 deficiency and this can make you lose a lot of weight, as can coeliac disease or gluten intolerance - basically because you aren't absorbing nutrients properly from the food you do eat. Although doctors often say they've tested everything, sometimes they overlook these tests and it's certainly worth testing, particularly if you find you're getting red blotches or bruise like marks on the body. Best of luck
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    So might have a fried breakfast, then crisps for lunch, then a 10 inch pizza for dinner, followed by nothing!
                    Eeep I thought that -was- a lot of calories on its own. Not nutritious enough by any means, but as far as calorie content, it's a lot. One of those pizzas has like 700-800 calories in it alone!

Comment

Well, I went to my first appointment with a dietitian today with my food / exercise diary. She took look one look at it, went and found someone else, re-weighed me then took a rather alarming amount of blood (and pee) to do 'further testing'. So maybe Tylluan Penry, there is something they missed the first time.

Apparently, I am taking in more calories than I am burning, by quite a lot, and have lost weight since I last spoke to my doctor. It's not much but it is going down. I will keep you posted!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Eeep I thought that -was- a lot of calories on its own. Not nutritious enough by any means, but as far as calorie content, it's a lot. One of those pizzas has like 700-800 calories in it alone!
                        It's 1600. Maybe more than you or I would dare eat, but way under what an adult male should eat. Especially a physically active adult male. 800 cals is what a main meal SHOULD be for a man. They should just also eat other stuff throughout the day.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well, I went to my first appointment with a dietitian today with my food / exercise diary. She took look one look at it, went and found someone else, re-weighed me then took a rather alarming amount of blood (and pee) to do 'further testing'. So maybe Tylluan Penry, there is something they missed the first time.

Apparently, I am taking in more calories than I am burning, by quite a lot, and have lost weight since I last spoke to my doctor. It's not much but it is going down. I will keep you posted!
                          You're in my thoughts... Best of luck, I know it's rough...

Comment

I really hope they get to the bottom of this - and soon. Stay strong.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                            X