This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is cosplay sexist? The Simon Pegg incident

I'm going to pretend you all know who Simon Pegg is. I'm going to pretend you all know what cosplay, lj and twitter is as well. So let's start.

The issue:
    Simon pegg tweeted on his timeline (while the Comic-Con was going on) that he did indeed love cosplay girls.

The problem: Some feminazis (excuse me...feminist who were bored that day I guess)
    * I never said I was neutral to this.
    decided to take issue with him. A shit storm of controversy ensued.

Here's my take on this.

If YOU decide to wear a Princess Leia costume because you love her and her tough stance on intergalactic politics, good for you. Go put on her white robe and sticky bun your hair for all the world to see. If, on the other hand you think her outfit while being chained to Jaba was hot and want to dress that way? Don't you dare get upset if some dude says HOT.

It's like wearing a skin tight dress to show your boobs and being upset someone actually comments on your boobs.

WOMEN are dressing this way to be sexy and noticed. No one is bring a power point presentation with them while donning a string bikini and chains.

And from Carrie Fisher herself:
    The sauce is strong with this one
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Is cosplay sexist? The Simon Pegg incident

There's always been some pretty heavy sexism in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, video games & anime, mainly because the target audience is teen-aged to young single males. Just look at how many instances of 'armor class - the higher the armor class, the less it covers' are out there. It's acknowledged, we all know it exists - but apparently no one cares enough to start lobbying against it.

And yes, as a modern, fairly independent woman, when I play a video game, I put my female toons in the skimpiest armor possible & all my male toons end up looking like Juggernaut or something. I like the feeling of 'she's so dangerous she can kick your ass while she's naked'... and it's hot
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Talking about how Leia's clothing represents subjugation is kind of idiotic when you consider the context of the movie. She used that chain to joke out Jabba. It was showing that even in those circumstances, Leia is a bad ass. If anything wearing that is showing that clothes don't make the woman weak.
      Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Liking girls in revealing costumes is sexist?

Guilt as charged!
        [4:82]

Comment

I also agree that if you're going to dress like that, you're going to attract attention. I personally feel there's a time and place for outfits that skimpy (in bed with my boyfriend) but if other girls want to go to comicon in those outfits, who cares? And if they attract some men, how can they be surprised?

And I thought it was common knowledge that every single man between the ages of 15-50 fantasizes about that Leia outfit....

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            And I thought it was common knowledge that every single man between the ages of 15-50 fantasizes about that Leia outfit....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	male-slave-leia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	351483

Totally, the force is strong in my pants.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

As a chick, I'm not sure how thinking hot chicks are hot is sexist. If they didn't want to be ogled, they should have put some clothes on. Seriously...its not like he raped one of them. You don't dress like that without not knowing people are going to look at you and see your hotness unless you are hopelessly naive or just plain stoopit. And if you dress like that, knowing people are going to look at you, you probably know that you are fairly good looking or you know that you get that sort of reaction from others and enjoy it. Claiming otherwise either means that you are hopelessly naive, plain stoopit or a big fat LIAR.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Are they mad he likes women or that he said he did? His comment is pretty open maybe he likes their ability to make cool outfits or acting skillz, lol. There are women who dress for attention. It's comic con for crying out loud, everyone is trying to get looked at. If he accosted a girl if would be different but he's making a statement. Everyone is so touchy anymore.

Comment

Oh, Pegg! That's disgusting! Chicks dressing in "oulandish" getups, to be showing their enthusiasm for the princess and accentuating their feminine aspects, being admired by an appreciative eye? How revolting!

/sarcasm

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

My husband, who happened to glance at the picture below, gave me a new perspective on sexism.

He told me that sexism is where you won't allow someone to do or dress as they please because their choice of costume or clothing, or their employment choice (be it stripper or nurse or whatever) doesn't match your ideal of what a 'woman' or 'man' should be.

It made total sense to me.

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1083[/ATTACH]

Totally, the force is strong in my pants.
                    The happy trail totally pulls it all together
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      As a chick, I'm not sure how thinking hot chicks are hot is sexist. If they didn't want to be ogled, they should have put some clothes on. Seriously...its not like he raped one of them. You don't dress like that without not knowing people are going to look at you and see your hotness unless you are hopelessly naive or just plain stoopit. And if you dress like that, knowing people are going to look at you, you probably know that you are fairly good looking or you know that you get that sort of reaction from others and enjoy it. Claiming otherwise either means that you are hopelessly naive, plain stoopit or a big fat LIAR.
                      Yep. Skimpy clothing is no excuse for rape, but getting stared at? SERIOUSLY. If I wear a low-cut shirt even, I wear that knowing that men are going to stare at my boobs. That's not really why I wear it, but I'm aware of the fact that it's going to happen. I don't wear a low-cut shirt and then complain about how men are staring at my boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Yep. Skimpy clothing is no excuse for rape, but getting stared at? SERIOUSLY. If I wear a low-cut shirt even, I wear that knowing that men are going to stare at my boobs. That's not really why I wear it, but I'm aware of the fact that it's going to happen. I don't wear a low-cut shirt and then complain about how men are staring at my boobs.
                        EXACTLY!! I don't understand what some women don't get about that!! "Guys only use me for my body... No one really loves me..."
                        Hmm... Wonder why?!

Comment

Working...
                        X