Goddess Holle: In Search of a Gemanic goddess by GardenStone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddess Holle: In Search of a Gemanic goddess by GardenStone

This book was mentioned on another site so I got it. It was just released in English.Holle/ Holda is what drew me to Heathenry. It looks to be a good book. When I am done I will post a review.

Re: Goddess Holle: In Search of a Gemanic goddess by GardenStone

Look forward to it!

Comment

Re: Goddess Holle: In Search of a Gemanic goddess by GardenStone

Ok so I have read the whole book. It's not very big 223 pages, separated into nine chapters. Each chapter focuses on one aspect of information: myth, fairy tales, literature, folk tales, landscape names, etc. It's very interesting. Lots of information and sources. Stories I had not heard. Recipes traditionally made and named for Holle.

I came to paganism via witchcraft. When starting I kept reading I needed a goddess (now I know wicca is the first contact most people have and know better) so I looked to Germany as I was trying to connect with my ancestors. I found I had a strong connection to Holda almost immediately and have found she is hard to pin down, is not necessarily popular and is often associated with Freya, Frigga or Hela. I have never felt felt she was any of these. Then I came across urglaawe, PA Dutch paganism, and found her to be the center of their altars and practices.

For me this book takes my feeling and gives me a logical, reliable source(s) to say wait I think she stands on her own and here is why. I found similarities between the urglaawe practice and old texts and tales of Holda. I can say that she goes by various names in Germany: Holle, Holda, Bertha, Pertcha. But she is not Frigga, Freya or Hela. She may not even be Wodan's wife which often comes up in lore regarding her.

Often northern pagan means Norse pagan and as someone who is focused on the Germanic perspective I found this book to really help solidify my relationship with a truly Germanic goddess. I especially liked the landscape section as I have never been to Germany and it was probably the most fun part to read.

If you generally like to read about northern paganism it's an easy book and worth the money I think.

Comment

Working...
      X