Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating Sabbats help

Hey guys

When I started the craft I was very wiccan influenced and celebrated the sabbats by reading the myths with each one. Most of the sabbats have a deity corrosponded with it, however alot has changed this coming year.

I changed my belief on deity and dont worship other deities anymore. I more so worship one Great Spirit and to understand it I split it into two forms, The Great Mother, and Great Father. To me this sounded better, and was easier than worshiping other deities. I couldnt comprehend so many deities at once.

I do worship Spirit on sabbats and esbats, and say good morning to spirit and say goodnight. I acknowledge it every day and say thanks to it. I dont really make offerings to spirit though because I thank spirit alot throughout the day I think it understands me. However instead of working with deities I work with spirits. The main spirits I work with are the fairies , Elementals, Ancestors, Animal spirit (like guides) and spirit guides. I dont consider my self wiccan but I do have some wiccan influences in some ways.

My question is, on each sabbat I still want to have a religious significance, but not associate with a deity from another pantheon. How could I go abouts by looking at this in a different way. Could I represent spirits that are present around each sabbat? And also observe what is happening to the earth so then I could write some kind of myth talking about the Great mother and father? To me spiriuality is something personal, and I more so follow what I am guided to do, but would it be okay if I wrote myths corrsponding to each sabbat? and incorprating some spirits to thank around each sabbat.

For instance Lammas is coming up. To me lammas is marking the first harvest season. The plants from spring are starting to drop its seeds, and the sun is losing its strength. The nights are starting to grow longer as well and Fall is coming on its way. I could write a myth corrosponding to each one maybe by taking the information of whats happening to the earth and replace what is happening to the earth with the Mother aspect and one with the Father.

Lastley I know there are already myths with each sabbat but to be they dont resonate with me, at times they make me feel unconfortable cause I cannot grasp them. Anywho any thoughts on how I can celebrate the sabbats without corrosponding each one with deity but many spirits? and writing my own myths?

Re: Celebrating Sabbats help

Not everyone who follows the Wheel of the Year is necessarily following the Wiccan myths that can be attached to it. There are many who are just following the nature side of it, or looking back to older meanings of the different holidays, or doing their own things. If you want to put your own myths and meaning to the Wheel, go for it. It's your practice, so do what you feel you should.

For me, a celebration of what's going on locally in nature, and the symbolism that brings, is enough religious significance - even without including deities, and only sometimes including spiritwork. For example, like you I see Lammas as the beginning of the harvest season. It's a time to start thinking about the shift into the colder months that will be happening soon, while still celebrating being at the peak of the summer season. It's a time to be thankful for the food and drink the earth provides for us, and a time to meditate on the mysteries of grain and wine/mead. (Growing through the nurturing of the different elements, from seed into plant, transformed into food, etc.) Or, at Samhain, since it's the time of the final harvest and when the energies of autumn are at their peak, I think that's a good time for an ancestor celebration. Likewise, I find Beltaine to be a good time for celebration of the nature spirits.

It's all up to you, and whatever works for you, and makes sense with where you live/how you practice. Study how others do it now, and how they were celebrated in the past to get some ideas flowing, but don't feel limited to those things. Think about what each holiday means to you, what's going on in nature, and how they fit into the bigger cycle - or even if you need to add or remove some holidays. There's nothing wrong with writing your own myths for your personal practice, or just doing away with them all together and shifting focus to something else.
    Last edited by Gardenia; 28 Jul 2012, 08:13.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Not honoring the specific Pre-Roman Celtic Diety for each individual Sabbat? Heretic!

No but really whatever feels right, as the previous poster says practice in whatever way feels right to you.

Comment

Thank you guys sooo much

Ya Its alot easier to probally observe whats happening locally so you can relate more , Thank you so much

Comment

Working...
        X