Stone Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stone Identification

My partner has a habit of bringing home an assortment of what he calls 'shiny pretties.' The thing is, we have no idea what any of them actually are. Well, that's not strictly true, I have identified the rose quartz. As for the rest, no idea. Anyone know?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	355927Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	355928Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.JPG
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	355929Click image for larger version

Name:	photo10.JPG
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	355930Click image for larger version

Name:	photo7.JPG
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	355931

Re: Stone Identification

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo8.JPG
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	351489Click image for larger version

Name:	photo9.JPG
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	351490Click image for larger version

Name:	photo12.JPG
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	351491Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.JPG
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	351492And the rest because it wouldn't let me put them all in the same post

Comment

Photo 1: pretty positive, not 100% sure, but I think it's prehnite. Don't quote me on that one, though - there are LOTS of green minerals out there.
      Photo 2-5: all agates. The colour differences are due to ink being injected into the crystals. That colour blue isn't natural.

Photo 6: agate, or jasper.
      Photo 7: (left to right, going clockwise) blue-dyed agate, amethyst (or moss agate - it's a bad photo), agate, tiger's eye, honestly can't tell what the crystal with the lens flare on it is, and the little blue one is moss agate. Can't see enough of the one in the corner for identification.
      Photo 8: amethyst, and rose quartz.
      Photo 9: more agate.

Mostly art.

Comment

At the risk of disagreeing with a professional geologist (yikes!), I will suggest that there is a possibility that the blue agate in photo 7 is natural, and called Blue Lace Agate:

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Thank you both, I'll try and take a better pic without flare to identify the green thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
            At the risk of disagreeing with a professional geologist (yikes!), I will suggest that there is a possibility that the blue agate in photo 7 is natural, and called Blue Lace Agate:

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...w=1920&bih=908
            Natural, undyed blue lace agate usually isn't that dark of a blue. It's also got more variation in the layers. The dyed stuff has that more 'regular' shading.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...w=1920&bih=908
              Hey, I don't deal with more than half these minerals on a day-to-day basis. Hell, if it's not gold or quartz, I wouldn't be positive I can identify anything! :P

But you made me realize something - the one I said could be moss agate - I was wrong, it's blue lace. For some reason I thought moss agate was the light blue one (because, you know, moss is blue...)

Otherwise, I agree with Perz - that blue isn't natural.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
              X