A nice stack of Celtic books to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A nice stack of Celtic books to read

From a more historical perspective, might I recommend "The Sea Kingdoms: A History of Celtic Britain and Ireland" by Alistair Moffat. I found this a very comprehensive and interesting read focusing on the history of Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man and Wales from a Q-Celtic and P-Celtic perspective.

I'm also part-way through "The Mammoth Book of Celtic Myths and Legends" by Peter Berresford Ellis. This is a rather large book containing 6 or 7 legends from each of Ireland, Isle of Man, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. The only thing lacking are any tales from the rest of what is now England - which I don't seem to find anywhere (ignoring Anglo-Saxon tales).

Comment

Re: A nice stack of Celtic books to read

One book I particularly enjoyed was Celtic Myth and Religion by Sharon MacLeod. It was very well written and drew from many sources giving an excellent insight into the Celtic Religion. Another interesting book was written by Wood=Martin called Traces of the Elder Faiths of Ireland. This I written by a Christian so care must be taken in reading it but I gives many of the stories and beliefs of pagan Ireland. I have only read volume 2 ( did not know there were two volumes when I got it) but I am looking forward to reading Volume 1. There are many Pagans who do not agree with reading books by Christians who wrote about pre-Christian beliefs but I think as long as you read them knowing how has wrote the book they can be excellent ways to learn about Celtic beliefs. I personally thankful that some Christians were willing to write down pre-Christian Celtic beliefs or we would know nothing about the myths, stories, and religion of Celtic Pagans.

Comment

Working...
      X