Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other Celtic Recons?

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I'll most of any topic regarding Islam to Dumuzi. I don't have the background knowledge to comment. They did overtake Catholocism in size sometime around 06 if memory serves. The commentary on human IQ, democracy, etc, I'll look at when I'm feeling more energetic. Detonating the Vatican, shrug, you have a burning desire to see World War 3? If that nuke affects Italy in any harmful way then it might just be interpreted as an act of war against a NATO member with nuclear weaponry. At which point, a number of entities with access to instant sunshine may stop being nice. There is no good end to that scenario for anyone.
    I have no burning - and I see what you did there, very droll - desire to see WWIII. As the old saying goes, "If the Third World War is fought with Nuclear Weapons, the Fourth World War will be fought with swords, bows and arrows." However, given the rising tensions in the Middle East, especially between Iran and the Red Sea Pedestrians, there's a good chance that the weather forecast for that part of the world will soon be, "Very, very hot with outbreaks of fall-out."

I seriously doubt there will ever be a CBRN attack by terrorists on a major European or American target. Mainly because the response, especially from America, would make the Wrath of God look positively restrained. At one point it was official US Military policy that should there be an act of Nuclear Terrorism on American soil, the US would retaliate by nuking Mecca itself. And while I have to admit I would not shed too many tears should the Vatican be Pwned, there's no doubt that one billion Catholics would fail to see the funny side and have a quite spectacular sense of humour failure. Probably resulting in the Knights Templar Comeback Tour: No Sleep 'til Judgement Day.

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
      I felt the same way for a very long time. Then I started doing a fair bit of research on them, and it's still a work in progress. However, I am finding there is a lot more reliable information out there than I had previously imagined, although, of course, much of it coming from the Romans etc. as the Druids didn't write much down. I try to stick to academic writings mostly, and that is starting to paint a very interesting picture of the Druids both within the Celtic culture and their interaction with other cultures.

Do you have any decent/reliable sources on druidry you think I'd be interested in reading? Am always looking for more!

To put this damned thread back on track. (I'm glaring at you two here...)

If you want contemporary druidry look into the works of ross nichols. He does a damned good job of writing about the celts and druidism ( he founded the OBOD and was a college professor.)

As far as the ancient druids are concerned though, I took the time to learn Latin and read the original Roman sources, I don't like translations. So unless you want to be as hardcore as me I'd suggest finding translations of the original Roman texts as despite their biased attitude they're the best source we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dral View Post
        To put this damned thread back on track.
        Agreed. Please keep this thread on topic. Thanks.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

If you want contemporary druidry look into the works of ross nichols. He does a damned good job of writing about the celts and druidism ( he founded the OBOD and was a college professor.)
          Thanks. I am familiar with the OBOD (For reference: http://www.druidry.org/ ) but I haven't read anything authored by Nichols as of yet. I will look into it.

As far as the ancient druids are concerned though, I took the time to learn Latin and read the original Roman sources, I don't like translations. So unless you want to be as hardcore as me I'd suggest finding translations of the original Roman texts as despite their biased attitude they're the best source we have.
          Oy! Tha'ts pretty hardcore, indeed...haha. I usually take the easier route of deferring to works of the professional academics (historians, archaeologists, anthropologists) who do the translations for me and offer their own professional insight. I hope to one day be one of them.

Thanks for the tip!
          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
            Thanks. I am familiar with the OBOD (For reference: http://www.druidry.org/ ) but I haven't read anything authored by Nichols as of yet. I will look into it.

Oy! Tha'ts pretty hardcore, indeed...haha. I usually take the easier route of deferring to works of the professional academics (historians, archaeologists, anthropologists) who do the translations for me and offer their own professional insight. I hope to one day be one of them.

Thanks for the tip!

I like to think I am a professional academic lolol, until real professional academics are in the room. But ya, Nichols does damned good work.

Not a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Celtic (Brythonic): It seems to me that when a religion remains unchanged, it can become stagnant and alienate members: *cough*Catholic church*cough*
              Stagnation in Catholocism isn't the problem, and in fact, Catholicism is anything but static. If anything, lack of being static is one of the biggest criticisms levied by supposedly Bible based churches at the Catholicism, who many protestant and non-denominational groups feel has changed too much since the early church and since Augustus.

It isn't being static that has alienated members. The enabling of child molestation certainly has, though.

Comment

Nooo.. please don't drag that up again.. ffs. I wish I'd never written that line.. this thread has been derailed enough. I know NOTHING about Catholicism but know a lot of ex catholics who were simply born into it and have dissaociated from the church. seems common here. If it's not a world wide trend, well fine. I really don't care enough.

Now lets please, please, keep this thread on topic now..
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

So... What's everyone's favorite source for Celtic mythology?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Nooo.. please don't drag that up again.. ffs. I wish I'd never written that line.. this thread has been derailed enough. I know NOTHING about Catholicism but know a lot of ex catholics who were simply born into it and have dissaociated from the church. seems common here. If it's not a world wide trend, well fine. I really don't care enough.

Now lets please, please, keep this thread on topic now..
                    No worries; having a Catholic background and being alienated by the organization, and knowing a good number of others with similar situations, I find that what alienates members the most goes beyond stagnation of the religion. Certainly I'm not defending the Roman Catholic church, nor do I have any issue with what you posted.

Comment

For accurate and scholarly information, I use a combination of books and the web. I recently purchased a copy of the Mabinogion, but have not had the opportunity to read it, and sadly, I do not yet own any translations of most of the Irish myths and tales. I do have 'Tristan and Isolde' and 'The Destruction of Da Derga's Hostel,' but little else. I have three scholarly works, one of which is still on my to-read stack, and a host of books that talk a lot about Celtic mythology in the context of whatever it is that they're writing about.

Comment

If you want to read a good book about the Celts by someone who saw them first hand get your hands on a translated copy of Julius Caesar's work (Y)

Comment

Or www.Jstor.org.

I wouldnt allow anyone but children near myths until theyve done a course in comparative lit tho. Thank feck Im not a teacher what.

Comment

If you want to read a good book about the Celts by someone who saw them first hand get your hands on a translated copy of Julius Caesar's work (Y)
                            Only bear in mind that Caesar had his own agenda. What he saw was not necessarily what he wrote. And his reasons for writing (mostly to advance his own political career) need to be borne in mind too.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
                            http://homepage.eircom.net/~seabhaca..._Crua/lit.html

Or www.Jstor.org.

I wouldnt allow anyone but children near myths until theyve done a course in comparative lit tho. Thank feck Im not a teacher what.
                            One thing I would point out with JSTOR is that in the UK at least, you need to be logged in through a participating institution (i.e. a university or college). It's a brilliant source, certainly, but not sure whether most people are able to access it. I did hear that it was available through public libraries in the US - is that true?
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                              One thing I would point out with JSTOR is that in the UK at least, you need to be logged in through a participating institution (i.e. a university or college). It's a brilliant source, certainly, but not sure whether most people are able to access it. I did hear that it was available through public libraries in the US - is that true?
                              Getting JSTOR access is simple Tylluan if someone local to you said no ask the actual librarian, its an essential tool for any research so its readily available in all library systems and because its an internationally run site the same rules to access apply internationally. Ive first hand had access in libraries in the UK and in North America. Even living in the sticks here in an area with the highest illiteracy rate in the country I got access sorted in a matter of days with no fuss.

Even if you hate libraries you can get access. If youre in a college or know someone who is in a college you can get off campus access cos all students are given a pass from their college. JSTOR also have free MyJstor accounts that give you access to a limited number of journals from home.

Really, you cannot be researching anything without access to journals. Denying you access is boarderline human rights violation. With the exception of things published before journals were common no one looks at a book for research. By the time a book is published its out of date and anything in a book will have been in the journals years before hand.

Not having jstor access is like not having fire.

Comment

Gotta agree that JSTOR is an excellent source. It's where I used to get all my academic research done when I had a student number. I didn't know you could gain access without being a student. It makes sense that everyone should have access to the academic journals, for sure.

Speaking of free access to academic sources, Yale has many free course available; lectures done via youtube and/or itunes and course materials via a simple download. Here is one that might be helpful for those researching celtic culture:

The Early Middle Ages: 284-1000

You can find the rest here: http://oyc.yale.edu/
                                Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X