Buying your own Tarot deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying your own Tarot deck

I don't know much about the Tarot, but I entered this board because I'm interested in learning more. I am the superstitious type, and I was always told one should not buy their own Tarot deck but wait for one to be gifted. Do you think there's any credence to this? It might sound silly to some of you, I know, but I can't help it that I take superstitions so seriously.

Re: Buying your own Tarot deck

Like most superstitions, I think there's only as much truth to it as you let it have (consciously or subconsciously). I never paid this particular belief much mind, and have used both purchased and gifted decks without any issues. In fact, my favorite deck is one I bought for myself - since I was the one who picked it out, I was able to really search around and find one which had the most appealing (to me) symbolism and artwork. I know plenty of people who use decks they bought for themselves without problem, but if you want to wait for one to be gifted I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach, either. It's up to you, what you think would be best.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

No truth at all IMHO. Just something else put around to tie us up in knots. If you see a deck you like then buy it. Don't worry too much... and good luck with it!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
        Like most superstitions, I think there's only as much truth to it as you let it have (consciously or subconsciously).
        I've never really thought about superstitions in that way, but that really rings true for me. Thank you.

Comment

My dad always told us, 'it's unlucky to be superstitious'. I don't store my cards in silk, I don't go through silly little rituals before a reading and I have bought decks myself. I'm not so good at reading tarot now, but I was once quite successful and did house parties now and then for extra money. I never felt ignoring the superstitions made any difference to me. There's one thing though.. one deck has always given better, more precise readings than any other. Now I think of it, that deck was a gift from my mother! Other decks were gifts too though, so I think it was something else about those cards, that made them so good.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
          X