Element Symbols for Cirlce Casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element Symbols for Cirlce Casting

First off, I'm new, so... Hi! Thanks for allowing me to join your community here It seems like a great place!

Second, moving on to my question, I'm currently trying to revamp my altar. I'm trying to make new candle holders for the four quarters, but I'm having trouble finding symbols that really speak to me. When I google it, the only symbols that seem to pop up are the traditional triangle symbols and the symbols used on the cartoon show, Avatar The Last Airbender.

The triangles just don't make me think of the elements and I don't think they'd work well for me.

The other one, the Avatar symbols, I actually rather like them. I think they're well designed and they each incorporate a spiral in some way in the design, and I personally find spirals to be powerful and appealing symbols - a path leading to the center, or a path leading to the source. The only problem I have with them is that they are from a tv show instead of an actual magical system or anything with a strong past/history connotations.

What are other people's opinions about using something off a tv show? Also, does anyone know any good symbols I could use instead?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avatar_Element_Vectors_by_sweetangel1927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	355933Click image for larger version

Name:	Elemental_Symbols_by_grimdeva.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	355934

Re: Element Symbols for Cirlce Casting

If you like them, use them. They speak to you and represent the elements in your mind, so they'll work just fine. I personally don't believe there is power in a symbol, other than it's ability to affect our subconscious through our understanding of that symbol.. not sure how much sense that made. Hope you know what I mean.. got a stinker of a hangover..

Anyway, welcome to PF!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      If you like them, use them. They speak to you and represent the elements in your mind, so they'll work just fine. I personally don't believe there is power in a symbol, other than it's ability to affect our subconscious through our understanding of that symbol.. not sure how much sense that made. Hope you know what I mean.. got a stinker of a hangover..

Anyway, welcome to PF!
      Agreed. The only reason older symbols from established traditions have any "special power" are because of the strong associations connected to them. But even then, if the symbols don't speak to you then they won't work for you. The triangular sigils pictured in the OP are alchemical symbols and have been used for some time, but if they don't bring out your ability to call the elements, then why bother using them?

If the symbols from Avatar speak to you, then by all means use them. Chaos Magicians do that sort of thing all the time. Hell, I once heard reference to someone using a Wolverine action figure in magic.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I agree with the others. It doesn't matter how much history a particular symbol, item, or idea has behind it... if it doesn't mean anything to you, it probably won't do you any good. Now you could use those older symbols, and over time try to form a bond with them, and perhaps have success with that... but if you really like the other set, and they already speak to you, no real reason not to use them. If you don't like that they're from a show, you could always alter them slightly to make them more your own. Though, to be honest, there are times I've use symbols and such from video games in ritual, and it's worked fine. Just gotta go with what works, even if the source isn't always the most serious.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thanks, guys I feel better about using the Avatar symbols now, so I'm going to go ahead with my first instinct and use them.

Comment

Working...
          X