Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk about buddha

hey guys

Okay so this post is going to be about the Buddha. In buddhism they do not worship him as a god, and they dont even talk about a god in buddhism. However when I talk or watch (youtube) other pagans and witches , they refer to him as deity. Just like some refer to the virgin mary as a goddess and some refer to jesus as a deity as well.

I also have talked to another pagan and she says she doesnt see him as a god, but she sees him as a great man who started a great religion. She also said she would pray to him for good fortune kind of like you would pray to a saint.

So my question is if I wanted in my path, I work with spirits, saints and deities , would it be okay to pray to buddha and light a candle for good fortune. Becuase I view buddha differently then buddhist do. I see him as a spirit that is on the other side.. thanks and blessed be

Re: Lets talk about buddha

I could be mistaken, but I thought that some schools of Buddhism did see Buddha as a god - or maybe, it might be that's just the common belief in some areas of the world... Either way, there are Hindus who see Buddha as an avatar of the god Vishnu, so the idea of Buddha as deity isn't only found in modern paganism. There are many different views of Buddha around, in Buddhism and outside of it, so if you wanted to act on your own view... well, why not?
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

thank you for your response. And ya I think your right abou the god part. Its just when I was in class learning about buddhism he said most of them dont believe in a god, but everyone has different views and I think there are some buddhist who might view him as a god thanks blessed be

Comment

I suppose this could get right into the question, "what is a god?", that crops up on the forum from time to time.

For me, personally, there is a blurry line between "real", and "such a powerful idea that it has changed reality as we know it." Gods, pivotal figures, and things like Santa fit in that gray area. If it changes reality it's real...some goes for whether something gets the title of "god" or not. I'm sure if you asked a dozen people what a god was, you'd get 12+ answers.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
        X