Insturments for alterd states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insturments for alterd states

Okay so today somone bought me a flute for my birthday. It is wooden and it is made in India.

Anywho, I thought I could use it for shamanic journeying/meditation to get in an alterd state. I didnt want a drum because I felt a connection with the flute. Do you think I can use the flute to induce a alterd state, like make an on going noise and listen to it to get visions and journeying? I dont know why but it felt like my spirit told me to get it.

blessed be

Re: Insturments for alterd states

I have a low E Irish whistle I sometimes use. I don't exclusively use it for magical/meditative purposes but that does seem to happen on occasion, putting me in a state outside of myself. But I don't think it'll necessarily give you visions per se. I think music and creative pursuits in general open us up to different feelings than we tend to experience on a day to day basis. I'm sure there's some way folks have claimed to have purposefully induced an altered state through the use of various wind instruments but I wouldn't say that the likelihood of experiencing shamanic visions through playing a continuous drone on a wooden flute is entirely likely.

selume proferre

Comment

Okies but I can use it to put me in an alterd state of conciousness?

Comment

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
        I'm sure there's some way folks have claimed to have purposefully induced an altered state through the use of various wind instruments but I wouldn't say that the likelihood of experiencing shamanic visions through playing a continuous drone on a wooden flute is entirely likely.
        It's not that the instrument itself gives visions. The instrument helps you to enter a trance, an altered state of mind, either through a steady rhythem of beats, or a steady tone. In that state it's easier for one to journey, have visions, and so on. To that end, a flute could be used - as can any number of instruments... rattle, drum, singing bowl, bells, plain voice, even something like guitar works for some people... A singing bowl might be similar to the idea of using a flute, since both could be used to produce that same steady tone. Some methods may be easier than others, of course. For some keeping a steady beat on a drum might be easier than trying to keep a steady tone on a wind instrument, or the drum beat has an effect that the flute tone will not, but others might not have as much of a problem with that.

I've personally had some amount of success with using a flute for entering this trance state (although I much prefer a rattle, myself). Some use breathing techniques to enter the trance state, so combining that idea with a flute can produce interesting results. If you feel like there's something about it that draws you to it, might as well give it a go and see how it works for you. Remember though, any method will likely take a good bit of practice before results are seen, so that's something to keep in mind. (You might also try a simple, steady song rather than a single note.)
        Last edited by Gardenia; 07 Aug 2012, 16:49.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

don't worry. A flute is perfect for getting visions and things like that, though I sometimes use other methods, it seems like the flute is the best way for me to get to other worlds
          ~ flowers are our only garments
          only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
          X