Altar question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altar question?

So, my belief is a bit eclectic. I practice the craft and I believe in Gaia or Mother Earth and I worship her and give her offerings and typically most of my dealings go through her. I also believe in the biblical God, in a sense. I believe in him in a sort of Deism aspect. I believe that he's very busy making the universe work to really be 'bothered' (It's such a harsh word) with EVERYONE'S constant questions and daily lives.

In my opinion he is my creator, with the help of Gaia, Gaia being the embodiment or Mother of Nature. We are all made from natural elements and thus this gives us a direct 'phone line' to her because I believe that nature is all connected and it's energy flows through all. If you don't follow me, that's quite alright, it's just some background info for my question.

My question is this. I can easily, place a statue of Gaia on my alter to represent my Goddess of choice but, no one knows what God looks like therefore I'd be hard pressed to find a representative statue of him. Do I just place a gold candle on my altar to represent my God of choice as I have read in some places? Could I carve it to my mind's picture of him? Could I place a bible there (that's just a theory though, while I believe in God I don't follow the bible, I believe that the two aren't strictly connected. I'm not a Christian. =P)? Or perhaps you have another suggestion?
    I see LOVE where others see only WEEDS

Re: Altar question?

I think a candle will be just fine. Or maybe something else that means a lot to you
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I used to use a smooth stone from the beach to represent the male aspect of the divine, because I read somewhere or another that it was a good thing to use for that. Then I used a pine cone I picked up from a place that was important to my father, grandfather, and great grandfather, because of the obviousness of it. That one was a lot more meaningful to me than the stone.

Basically, what I would recommend is figure out what that great divine creator means to you, think of the images and feelings he evokes in you, and find something that fits that abstract notion of him and feels right to you, and make sure that it is meaningful. Because if it isn't meaningful to you, then it isn't really worth doing.

Comment

You can use whatever feels right to you. You could do a carving which would be very personal and it you are representing the Christian god a cross or bible or even some of the great art works like Creation of Adam could be put on the altar.

Comment

You have all been very helpful. I appreciate it. Thank you so much,
          I see LOVE where others see only WEEDS

Comment

no problem, dear
            ~ flowers are our only garments
            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
            X