Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denying magick

Hello everyone!

I've heard that it's bad (even dangerous?) to deny that magick works after you've used it successfully. Has anyone else heard this?

In particular, I'm wondering if there are any citations for this idea, from books, articles, or interviews about magick. Is anyone aware of this idea being taught by any particular person or path?

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to any feedback you might give.

Re: Denying magick

No, no and no. In fact Gerald Gardner recommended that people SHOULD deny magic etc whenever possible.

It seems to me like just another stick to beat the dog with, and I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I think how you are using "magic" matters? I don't see any harm in denying everyday magic, but I think it can be psychologically trying to deny meaningful personal revelations, moments of deep personal truths, etc., which is part of magic to me, maybe the most important part.

Comment

I agree with Siloh on this one.

I don't think it's dangerous as in bad things will happen to you by evil magical spirits if you denounce magic, or any religious practice for that matter... but you plant seeds of doubt in your own mind when you do things like that. If you no longer want to practice magic, or a certain religion, or follow a particular spiritual path, be honest with yourself about why you stopped. If it wasn't working, it wasn't working - but if you grew out of it, or decided to go in a different direction, or had bad experiences, acknowledge that truth so it doesn't create an mental obstacle for you to get around in the future.

I've known a lot of people who stopped 'dabbling in the occult' or 'practicing witchcraft' because things did actually work and they were frightened. Instead of going, "Hey, woah, that's some scary stuff! Maybe I should back up a bit and take a different approach to getting things done in my life" they went into full denial mode and became some of the most easily frightened, superstitious, neurotic folk I have ever met.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think what Gardiner was getting at (and bear in mind he was writing in the 1950's) was that we shouldn't go bragging about magic to all and sundry. It was better (he felt) to deny its existence and keep our heads firmly beneath the parapet.

Personally I keep my magical workings (as opposed to my theories and practices on magic) private. Is that denial? Some might say so. But I agree with Perz that going into denial is a different thing and has a tendency to wreak psychological mayhem.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
          X