X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Budget Pagan

Originally posted by kijani View Post
    That is totally awesome! And for only $3? That seems like a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned! I usually end up spending a bit more than that, but wow. Now I'm inspired to see what I can do. I don't think I can beat $3, though... Wow.
    Yeah, there's a few things i'd like to add but can still for cheap, at the dollar tree by my house they have this surprisingly nice looking oil burners, but still yeah basic portable altar for 3$

Comment

I got my oil burner at an Op Shop for $1. They asked for 50c, but I was generous and insisted they take my $1.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Some stuff I've picked up for our decor/altars/etc:

0727131505 - Copy.jpgthis one came from the garden section @ Marshalls or TJ Maxx--I think it cost me 9.99
        0727131505a.jpgthis is part of a set of 3, there's the waxing and waning and full moon plaques....picked them up at one of the local thrift stores for $1 (for all three)
        0727131508.jpgthe shell container was originally my grandmothers, but I liked it so much, she gave it to me as a kid...inside it is salt I evaporated myself from seawater I collected at the beach during this year's supermoon, and the candle holder next to it is two sections of oyster spat stacked on one another to act as a candle holder
        Attached Files
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

0727131510.jpg0727131512.jpg This is a breadbox I picked up at one of the local thrift stores...it set me back a whoping $2-3. It stores altar supplies, can be opened up and act as an altar, or can be closed up for the same.

Also, we recycle our candle wax into new candles...I think there's a thread about that somewhere... (okay, there are actually two, lol)

Other stuff:
          *I have a 4 mason jars--one of rocks, another of shells, another of feathers, and the last of matches, that I use to represent the classical elements when I use them in rituals...right now they are at work on a shelf in my office (and only one person has guessed what they are, lol)
          *there are woods by our apartment that has a ton of English ivy...since English ivy is incredibly invasive, I feel free to yank it up at will. If you strip the leaves, ivy vines are an easy way to make wreathes (which can be turned into pentacles), baskets, weaving, etc that can be used in spellwork or for bits of magic (think a functionality like that of a dreamcatcher)--willow branches are good for the same thing
          *since I live by the beach, I have a never ending source of rocks, shells, pebbles, driftwood, sand, etc. An old jar with sand in it makes a great incense burner
          *wash out a tin can, and use a hammer and nails to punch holes in whatever design you want (okay, there's a wee bit more to it than that)--instant candle holder
          *tea trays make good altars, they contain everything, and can be moved around easily
          *I have a big block of teak from a friend of mine (he uses reclaimed and recycled wood to do wood working), with a 3 inch wide, one inch deep circle carved into that I use to burn herbs in--teak is fire resistant, so it works (cast iron works too, or a nice heavy dish (not glass or ceramic), provided you fill it (or set it on something filled) with pebbles/sand does as well)
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I love your mason jars idea! I think I saw you post it somewhere else at some point, it's fantastic! I live ages from the beach, but I have a bag of shells just poked away. I'm totally going to drink all my instant coffee so I can turn the jar (you know those nescafe coffee jars with the lids (jars with lids... I need to sleep haha)) into a shell jar!
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Comment

thal, can I just say how freaking awesome that whole bread box idea thing is? I live in a house full of people right now and I've been trying to find a way to keep a compact altar... something like that. Clearly I need to hit the thrift stores and do something like that. That is a fantastic idea and would work great for the space I have!
                It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I found this link on how to be a pagan on a shoestring. Thought I'd share.

Mostly art.

Comment

There are (misguided) people, who consider atheism to be a religion.
                    There are (misguided) people, who consider any religion that is not Abrahamic (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) to be Pagan.

Based on those (misguided) people, I, as an atheist, am a pagan.

Considering that... I suggest that it is infinitely cheap (free) to build an altar to a god that doesn't exist.

Hows that for a budget?

[/joking]
                    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Most of my ritual tools and decorative items have been passed down from my grandmother and grandfather and their own parents and grandparents, they were all pagans. I have also found a few good items second hand online or in thrift stores. I tend to gravitate towards my families hand-me-downs as I feel very connected to them when working with the tools. I wonder if anyone considers using items from their own families (even if not pagan) such as knives, candles, bowls etc as they hold a beautiful energy when using something you remember from your childhood.
                      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

My favorite place to get supplies, always have and always will be Dollar Tree.
                        The most expensive item on my altar would tie between my athame and my Goddess statue, both were $20. My altar I measured out, cut and built myself. Its easy to transport it since it is light, has 4 legs and room to store stuff underneath it, and just high enough to sit at on the floor. My cloth I got from Jo-ann fabrics discount bin, and everything else is dollar store, walmart, or garage sale.

Comment

I'm just starting out and I have very little to my altar. I would really like to keep it simple in the long run anyways.
                          I got lucky for my athame. My husband had an old throwing dagger rusting away in the basement. I've cleaned it up really well. I plan to apply some type of protective coating and some very basic decor to make it my own before cleansing it.
                          For statues, I have the skill and supplies to make my own when I eventually need them.
                          I have little (brass, I think) bells that ended up in my possession during my life that I like to ring to attract good spirits before praying.
                          My altar is an antique bedside table I've had since I was small.
                          my offering bowls and cups are whatever ones I feel work. I just rub them with salt and water first.
                          I have tealights and plan to buy some oils to rub on them before burning.
                          I fortunately have a decent little collection of natural and polished stones from my childhood!

Dang, I just realized how many of my supplies are from my youth before I even knew paganism wasn't completely comprised of evil virgin-chicken sacrifices to Satan, lol.

anyways, I've seen someone use a bookshelf as an altar; each shelf being dedicated to something different and one used for storage.

Comment

I have found that tomato sauce jars can be really pretty; if you look at the market, even the cheaper jars have some really nice patterns.

Comment

I think milk jars that you find in the grocery are really pretty too.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Though these Buddhist alters are kinda pricy,it might give some ideas to a do it yourself type.

http://www.ziji.com/categories/medit...s/?sort=newest

Some of these are truly beautiful.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X