Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i appreciate seasons in a predominantly stagnant-weathered area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can i appreciate seasons in a predominantly stagnant-weathered area?

I live in "beautiful" sunny Southern California, in Orange County no less.

Our weather is chiefly sunny with the very rare occasional sprinkle in the wintertime. We get no snow, and unless you know what season you're in there's no way to tell whether it's spring, summer, fall or winter-except for that summer is a titch hotter.

My practice relies heavily on earth worship and my modus operandi is seasonal celebration. One day i'll move to Massachusetts but for now i'm stuck here. Every year i feel a sense of disconnect as i've no means to truly experience the changes of the seasons when every day looks exactly the same. Dull and dreary and sunny.

Stuff grows throughout the whole year. The only thing that changes is that trees shed leaves and regrow them in spring.

My question is how can i get into the "mood" of the season when for me, there are no different seasons? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Re: How can i appreciate seasons in a predominantly stagnant-weathered area?

Southern California has seasons. They just aren't the four seasons of a temperate climate zone, because SoCal isn't in a temperate climate zone. Winter is wet and mild, the rest of the year is dry and warm. I remember it well. The seasons are obvious, you just have to know what you're looking for, and you do have to seek it out and expend some effort attuning yourself to the place. The earth in California is like that, she is generous but she is not a fool. She will give to you, but not without demanding effort, and especially not if you don't respect her.

So watch the plants. Like the jasmine blooming in strip mall parking lots in the spring and summer, the trees that line the streets in downtown LA dropping their purple flowers in March, the steadily increasing heat that peaks in late summer. There are animal signs of the seasons, too; whale migrations and grunion season. The orange trees and the strawberry fields mark changes in season pretty well, also. Watch the weather. The spring and autumn santa anas. The way Cajon Pass in the San Gabriels looks off in the east in the winters when it actually snows there (and on days clear enough to see it) and on into spring as the snow slowly melts away. And the inevitable annual mudslides, and occasionally the summer wildfires. Destruction is a marker, as well as the blooming of the flowers, and is as much a part of living in Southern California as liquor stores on every block and people who accost you at bus stops for cigarettes and spare change.

Look for the rhythm, seek it out. It is there, it's just not the same as it is everywhere else. That is part of the beauty of it. That's part of the power of the place you're in. The way the earth moves beneath you palpably in small tremors, she is the aspect of the divine feminine that gives life to tens of millions, but could take that life away in an instant if she chose to. There is SO MUCH power there, so much energy, the land pulses with it, literally pulses with it. Don't waste all of that wishing you were in Massachusetts. You are living in literally one of the most powerful places on earth, seriously, do not waste that.

Comment

Move to Scotland; we can get four Seasons in one day!

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Wow thank you so much, Earthgirl. Very beautiful and well-thought. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They wouldn't like me, i'm Irish.
        Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

I haven't lived in So. Cal before, but by Miami you get marked dry and wet seasons...is that the case, or is the climate too Mediterranean?
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

If you are into worshiping the mother Earth..well California is on it. And you sorta have to deal with what mother Earth gave you here. Know what I mean?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
              I haven't lived in So. Cal before, but by Miami you get marked dry and wet seasons...is that the case, or is the climate too Mediterranean?
              Kind of. Depends on the year. You can count on rainfall at some point during the winter but some years there's very little and it's just clear skies and 75 degrees on Christmas.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              If you are into worshiping the mother Earth..well California is on it. And you sorta have to deal with what mother Earth gave you here. Know what I mean?
              I feel ya.

Comment

Oh did I mention I'm your southern neighbor. I live in La Puente, in the county of LA. Mother Earth is having a severe hot flash at the moment.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  Oh did I mention I'm your southern neighbor. I live in La Puente, in the county of LA. Mother Earth is having a severe hot flash at the moment.
                  Too right she is! I'm only about 5 miles inland so we're not getting it as bad as everybody else but it certainly is hot. Y'all are in triple digits lately, yes?

Comment

We get "confused" seasons in Central West Europe. I think we used to have more "normal" seasons, but global warming means that pretty much anything goes. Winters can be warm and rainy or cold and snowy, summers can be rainy and cool or very hot and humid. Spring and Autumn can be absolutely anything. It could snow, hail, rain, be over 20*C and sunny (or even 30!)....you just have no idea. Since our weather is such a wild card, I've just learned to roll with the punches and work with what I'm given

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Wondering View Post
                      Wow thank you so much, Earthgirl. Very beautiful and well-thought. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

They wouldn't like me, i'm Irish.
                      Depends which part of Scotland you move to.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        We get "confused" seasons in Central West Europe. I think we used to have more "normal" seasons, but global warming means that pretty much anything goes. Winters can be warm and rainy or cold and snowy, summers can be rainy and cool or very hot and humid. Spring and Autumn can be absolutely anything. It could snow, hail, rain, be over 20*C and sunny (or even 30!)....you just have no idea. Since our weather is such a wild card, I've just learned to roll with the punches and work with what I'm given
                        I know exactly what you mean!! I'm from Denmark, your northern neighbor, and our weather is not that different from the weather in Germany.
                        ~ flowers are our only garments
                        only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I look at this post and think of last year, we had snow in October and then the next week it was 96 degrees and the winter never did get very cold, the summer then proceeded to get stupid hot. I'll bet you have discernable seasons, sometimes they are just going to be more discernable than others. like earthgirl said, try just learning about them, the seasons where you are are still seasons. Even tropical climates have seasons, ya just gotta get used to them. Your part of the earth has your seasons, honor them as befits your climate!
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I live in Kansas. We are known for unstable weather, so I feel ya. I just celebrate the seasons as they come, even if it isn't the same season a few hours from now (seriously, it was all rainy and chilly now it's muggy and sunny). As a note, the mark of seasons is also noted celestially, hence terms like "equinox" and "solstice". I don't know if that will help, but it's worth noting.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

Working...
                            X