Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

  1. #1
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,141
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

    Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    So my husband and I are thinking of making an offer on this house: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...west-119742479

    We like the home, but hate the bathroom. We want to have a separate bath and shower, a toilet and a cabinet style vanity in there. However, one wall is a window and one wall is the hinged door.

    Here is a layout we spotted on Pinterest which might be a good option, but not ideal for my husband who would really like to have separate bath and shower.
    Photo-Gallery-of-The-Small-Bathroom-Design-Ideas.jpg

    Does anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,228
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    You can always have the shower somewhere else...

    I don't know how common this was, but I've seen it in a number of older homes including the one I grew up in...our shower was in the laundry room room, and both my grandparent's homes had showers in the basement off the laundry area or the coal rooms, as did my neighbor, the girl down the street etc. These homes were built during a time when most middle class men had labor jobs, so you come home and shower and put your clothes in the laundry in a separate area of the house where you won't track your dirt in. I'm not saying it needs to go in a basement or laundry room (though the laundry room is logical), but it doesn't *have* to be in the bathroom...the hubby's house had one off the mud room.?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  3. #3
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,141
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    You can always have the shower somewhere else...

    I don't know how common this was, but I've seen it in a number of older homes including the one I grew up in...our shower was in the laundry room room, and both my grandparent's homes had showers in the basement off the laundry area or the coal rooms, as did my neighbor, the girl down the street etc. These homes were built during a time when most middle class men had labor jobs, so you come home and shower and put your clothes in the laundry in a separate area of the house where you won't track your dirt in. I'm not saying it needs to go in a basement or laundry room (though the laundry room is logical), but it doesn't *have* to be in the bathroom...the hubby's house had one off the mud room.?
    What's a mud room?

    And yeah, I have seen showers downstairs in the laundry room in many of the houses in my town. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper if we figured out how to re-configure the existing bathroom rather than add a close off a section of the laundry room for a shower, but I'm not sure. It's an idea worth looking into.

  4. #4
    lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,675
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan
    Location
    Germany

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Showers turn up funny places here. A lot of people here also like the idea of a separate bath and shower, but bathrooms are small in older buildings. I have seen old pantries converted into showers, shower stalls in kitchens, etc.

    I've never had a separate bath and shower in my life though, so I don't really know how it works in practice.


    Edit: wait, yes I do. I forgot that my BF's oma has a bungalow with an outdoor shower. It's a stall that sits under the roof to protect it in the elements and make it usable in the rain. It's connected to hot water. It's kind of "rustic", but it gets the job done. It has a little wall in front of it so that the neighbours can't see you.

  5. #5
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,228
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    What's a mud room?
    Its a side or back entry way room for tossing off the dirty/snowy outer wear and get washed up. Sort of a modern hold over from the days of washing up out at the pump...sort of like what Danie discribed:

    Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post

    Edit: wait, yes I do. I forgot that my BF's oma has a bungalow with an outdoor shower. It's a stall that sits under the roof to protect it in the elements and make it usable in the rain. It's connected to hot water. It's kind of "rustic", but it gets the job done. It has a little wall in front of it so that the neighbours can't see you.


    And yeah, I have seen showers downstairs in the laundry room in many of the houses in my town. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper if we figured out how to re-configure the existing bathroom rather than add a close off a section of the laundry room for a shower, but I'm not sure. It's an idea worth looking into.
    Here you can buy a complete shower stall as a kit for 800-1000 dollars. Just add plumbing. Our shower wasn't closed off, just a curtained off area.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  6. #6
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    If money is literally no object, you could always go for the Japanese style (I know, I know.. jembru and her damn Japanese again.. but hear me out)..

    In Japan the whole bathing area is a wet room. So you have a little sink, then a shower between the sink and bathtub (or on the opposite wall), then the whole floor area is waterproof with a drain for the shower water to run down. Bathrooms are tiny in Japan (the toilet is in a separate room that is practically a cupboard with a toilet in, the hand basin being built into the toilet so that the water you rinse you hands in, runs into the toilet to replenish the water after flushing). It's my dream to have an en suit like this one day, because it's ideal for a small area, as an en suit tends to be, and because it's not common in the West, there's something quite stylish about it.
    Some examples;







    None of these show a sink, but the one in my apartment in Japan definitely had one.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  7. #7
    Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Wiccan

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    We just remodeled our small bathroom, I feel your pain. We chose a shallower sink so that we could have a cabinet, and neither of us wanted a separate shower, so that wasn't an issue. Is the separate shower so two people can bathe/shower at once, or your husband just doesn't like showering in a bathtub? Would he consider a garden tub as a compromise? It's more square and less rectangular, and more like a shower-only fixture. It's what I wanted, but we'd have had to cut a hole in the side of my house and sling it in with a crane. More reno than I wanted, lol.

    This is an example of one I had bookmarked. The ones with glass doors are nicer looking, but they make me super claustrophobic, and will set you back several hundred dollars more. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194499277630589261/

  8. #8
    lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,675
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan
    Location
    Germany

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Jem, that's a great idea! Bathrooms like that are common in the Netherlands, too. They have tiny houses, but they are so efficiently designed!

  9. #9
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,228
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Jem, that's a great idea! Bathrooms like that are common in the Netherlands, too. They have tiny houses, but they are so efficiently designed!

    lol, it reminds me of the head in the brig of the USS Wisconsin...its about the size of a phone booth, it has a toilet and a sink, and the entire thing is the shower stall.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  10. #10
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,141
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

    Re: Small Bathroom reno ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    If money is literally no object, you could always go for the Japanese style (I know, I know.. jembru and her damn Japanese again.. but hear me out)..

    In Japan the whole bathing area is a wet room. So you have a little sink, then a shower between the sink and bathtub (or on the opposite wall), then the whole floor area is waterproof with a drain for the shower water to run down. Bathrooms are tiny in Japan (the toilet is in a separate room that is practically a cupboard with a toilet in, the hand basin being built into the toilet so that the water you rinse you hands in, runs into the toilet to replenish the water after flushing). It's my dream to have an en suit like this one day, because it's ideal for a small area, as an en suit tends to be, and because it's not common in the West, there's something quite stylish about it.
    I really wish money were no object because this does seem like a really good idea!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Celene View Post
    We just remodeled our small bathroom, I feel your pain. We chose a shallower sink so that we could have a cabinet, and neither of us wanted a separate shower, so that wasn't an issue. Is the separate shower so two people can bathe/shower at once, or your husband just doesn't like showering in a bathtub? Would he consider a garden tub as a compromise? It's more square and less rectangular, and more like a shower-only fixture. It's what I wanted, but we'd have had to cut a hole in the side of my house and sling it in with a crane. More reno than I wanted, lol.

    This is an example of one I had bookmarked. The ones with glass doors are nicer looking, but they make me super claustrophobic, and will set you back several hundred dollars more. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194499277630589261/
    I don't know how I missed this sorry but I've only just seen this. The separate shower is because my husband sees stepping in and out of a tub as a safety hazard! That's true of the elderly but he is a very cautious guy I suppose. The only reason I want a tub is for the children really. I think we would be happy with a half-size tub if it came to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Rituals in Small Spaces
    By Lexaris in forum Magic and Witchcraft
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31 Oct 2014, 21:20
  2. What is something small to represent fire?
    By miss_mc in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 25 Aug 2014, 10:27
  3. Small white beings
    By Sondst in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08 Jan 2014, 19:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •