Prayer and higher powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayer and higher powers

How can I find a higher power and how do I pray as a pagan?

Re: Prayer and higher powers

Taht is a difficult question, with an answer that varies based on whom you ask. Finding a higher power depends on what you believe. Praying to that higher power again depends on what you believe and what you believe the higher power wants. I know my answer is sort of useless, but short of trying to sell you on my own beliefs, theres not a whole lot of insight I can offer as an answer to this one. Maybe someone else will be more helpful later in the day or week?
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixMask View Post
      how do I pray as a pagan?
      Pretty much the same way anyone else prays. You can just pray from the heart, recite a pre-written prayer you like, chant prayers, sit in silence, you can light a candle or incense while you pray, you can pray in the morning or before bed. Whatever you want. Prayer is a personal thing.

As for who to direct prayers too, some pagans just pray to no particular deity (or to deity as a whole, depending on the beliefs) until a particular deity, or deities, make themselves known...
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

just do what comes up in your head. dance, sing, play, speak, jump.... anything! use your creativity! that's all I can say
        ~ flowers are our only garments
        only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Learn to meditate.

It fundamentally changed the way I pray, and gets you out of the "look, I'm being really good...now please, Universe, be extra kind to me and/or give me what I want" head-space that it's easy to fall into with more traditional prayer.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

However you want, you should experiment. For me the litmus test is this - "did this prayer/meditation/ritual make me feel more connected with my Higher Power?", if it does then great. I still like traditional Christian prayer formats and use them, mainly the ones aimed at the various Saints cause I like to syncretize and if i'm having a rough day at work I'll often just ask for help real quick. I don't negotiate when I do this or ask for specific favors I just let Brighid know that i'm in a bad place and ask her to please help me see clearly what she would have me do. Meditation is important too, the way I was taught is that when we meditate we are more prone to listen than when we pray, if your HP has a message for you, you want to be receptive and paying attention. If i'm praying to a God or Goddess i'm not deeply familiar with I often research and see if I can find examples of how others pray to them then tweek it. If I am at home I like to pray kneeling or in some other pose that shows me submissive and open, palms up. Now as to finding a Higher Power, that's way more tricky. I would say know what qualities you want and start researching from there. If you have a pantheon or gender you prefer that can help narrow it down right away.

Comment

every pagan is different. It depends how you view the higher power. Some people view more than one higher power (gods) some believe in one power, and others believe in gods and one power. Theres many more.

Personally I believe one power called "The Great Spirit" How you pray to them is all up to you? Praying from the heart. Waking up every morning and praying to him/her is a great way. Even at night. The more you pray the more answers you get from a higher power. It will eventually come to you.

Meditation, candle/incense lighting, random prayers, anything works. I like to light incense to the great spirit (and my ancestors) because it is believed that the smoke can send your prayers to Great Spirit (or the gods) It all depends on how you view it, there are many different ways. You can even pray at meal times. You will know soon. Blessed be!

also when you show gratitude and give thanks the One Power (or powers) will respond... let it be through dreams, animals etc.
              Last edited by wind; 23 Aug 2012, 18:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Mask View Post
                this is all that your believe if you believe in super power then it may be happen good or worst both may be happen Praying to that higher power again depends on what you believe in and what you believe the higher power wants .....

Comment

Well, a good way to start is what do you mean by higher power? The term itself is a nebulous concept and can include Gods, Devas, Bodhisattvas, Saints, Angels Infernals, Daimons, Fae, Netjeri, Totemic Beings, Elementals, Elder Beings, and even sufficiently energized Talpas/Thoughtforms. I'm going to assume you're looking for which gods you want to pray to, so I'll address that. Now what I say next can be applied to just any other spiritual being you come in contact with, for the most part. Moving on from that you should ask yourself which gods do you see yourself standing beside? Who is it that tugs at your heartstrings? Whose ethics and perspectives make sense to you enough that you would honor them? A big nono is acting like the gods are there to serve you. That's plain hubris, and hubris always ends up creating messy situations.

A method I used when searching for which gods were the ones I should honor was to just look up my ancestry. My logic was "what did my ancestors believe in and what gods did they pray to? It might point me in the right direction". It was during that search that I realized who it was that was trying to get my attention. It involved a little meditation, a little bit of asking verbally "Which of the almighty am I to honor? Who wants me as a person to honor you and live according to your guidance and ethics?" and patience with a sprinkling of diligence and a helping of humor.

As for the right way to pray, well that depends partly on your gods/beings you honor and partly on you. There are wrong ways to honor gods, like giving them offerings and prayers that address concerns that either aren't in their domain or they don't find appropriate for themselves. Barring that though, pray in what manner or form you find most appropriate. It can be a little, it can be a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X