A heritage site sacred to the Morrigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A heritage site sacred to the Morrigan

A lad who does walking tours of Rathcroghan uploaded a vid of the cave there. The music is a little airy fairy for my tastes but I thought people might enjoy it since the morrigan is really popular among celtic neopagans.

Its actually a souterrain (A type of medieval escape/storage tunnel) leading into a cave. The cave is romantically called by the medieval name 'Oweynagat' in the video and its common enough but we dont know that the name genuinely refers to the cave itself. From medieval explainations of topography we know that the morrigan was mentioned in association with a cave in the area and its the only one. And neopagans who interact with the morrigan at different heritage sites have been drawn there to make pacts with the Morrigan.

From the Metrical Dindshenchas (Poetic explanations of medieval topography). It also gives a possible link between the morrigan and the nearby river Boyle, possibly called Odras back then.

Re: A heritage site sacred to the Morrigan

There an entry in the story archaeology blog taken from someones journal after they went down into the cave. Its an interesting description of the experience. The blogs got lots on the morrigan too

I would like to experience the darkness, so I warn my young daughter that I am going to turn off the torch. She doesn’t mind. The warm blackness cloaks us, and around me I hear a rushing like many voices whispering, and I can almost hear words.

“Be strong and dream, for there is nothing but the dream. You must be born into darkness, and there is nothing in the darkness except the dream. Dream of starlight and the wind on the waters. Dream of warmth and the stirring of the breath. Dream of light and the rising of the sun. Dream in strength and power, for as you dream you create the world anew. Breathe the dream and awaken, for when you return to the world above, you will discover that you have dreamed true.”

This is a thought to take back to the light of day.

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for sharing it
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

James thanks so much for this post! I liked seeing the cave, (I really wish I could go see it in person!) but the Blog was wonderful, this person is so good with words, I so appreciate that you found it and were willing to share it!
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Youre welcome Maria

Heres a few recent pics from inside the cave and souterraine.
          And one from the outside to give you an idea of how small it seems

The author of the book Irish Witchraft from an irish Witch is the manager of the Rathcroghan (Cruachan Ai) heritage site nearby. She describes her journey into the cave when she dedicated herself to the morrigan p 132-5
          Last edited by JamesByrne; 09 Sep 2012, 08:40.

Comment

A cat playing in the cave of the cats

Comment

He he he, I love kitties! He's trying to catch floating dust from his kitty imagination! He just does'nt care!
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Not a single **** was given that day

For some reason the site seems more sacred with animals playing in it

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
                  Not a single **** was given that day

For some reason the site seems more sacred with animals playing in it
                  Do you know, James, I've often thought that too. Sacred sites seem to act as a magnet for animals. Lovely thread, many thanks!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                  X