The greatest human fear concerning Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest human fear concerning Aliens

I have always thought that what would cause the most fear and negative reaction from humans if we find ourselves confronted by Aliens,when ships start landing is not really that they are so very different. I really think our greatest fear is that they are EXACTLY like us. We do have more to fear from each other as history shows. I really do hope they are nothing like us.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: The greatest human fear concerning Aliens

My greatest concern regarding aliens is them finding us before we're an interstellar civilization. As a planet-bound species we're effectively a sitting duck for anything that can travel the stars and I fully expect alien civilzations to have just as much capacity for general bastardry as any human civilization.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not so sure it's that they're like us. History has shown that wars and such are started over our differences. It's all about making a culture, group, or person into the "other." If you look at civil wars and such within countries (American Civil War, War of the Roses, etc) this tends to still be true. You don't fight someone or something you feel you have camaraderie with...you fight because you make them into the "other." If the aliens felt something strongly in common with us (assuming their brains work more or less like ours), they wouldn't invade us. If they found us to be very different from them (or we from us), that's when the wars could start.

Comment

My biggest fear is that they won't all be shapely blonds wearing spandex.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think my biggest fear would be finding out that we are like the back water hillbillies of the universe. Like doing something galactically "wrong" or something. perhaps we have committed a huge social fopas without even knowing about it...
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well,perhaps our "Big blue marble" is nothing better than a huge trailer park...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

First thing I think of is what the world's religious leaders would do. Satan's army of falling angels is descending on us! or, I shudder to think, try to convert them. I think it's something that would really bring humanity together, whether for better or worse. Though I'm almost totally sure that if we find other intelligent life or it visits us we'll try to kill it
              “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
              Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
              -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

convert? sure that may be attempted.

Satan's army? err,

not necessarily
                "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The Sumerians said that their "Gods" came to them from another planet,so perhaps the major religions should not play fast and loose with pushing their religious dogma on what "Might" be returning "Gods"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well, if they start taking all our jobs we might have to build a fence around the planet.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

If M theory is right and there are 11 dimensions (like a 2d person from flat world might not be able to percieve 3d people but we can see in 2d and influence it) we might even have invaders that share the same space as us but that we are unable to percieve because our senses are limited. Theoretically a 4d 'alien' could affect us like we could pick up a 2d paper cut out of a man and do what we want with it. Wed be like helpless ants compared to them and theyd already be here.

Or how about Aliens invading from the megaverse. Some cosmologists dont refer to a universe any more they talk about a multiverse where our universe is just one of many universes that pop into existance and expand like a bubble... wed exist in an ocean of other universes in the megaverse. What if a megaversal alien decided to pop us because we are so insignificant. Or what if another alien race that can travel the multiverse bubbles decides they want our bubble and we are so small and our reach into our own universe is so tiny that wed consider defending a country or a planet when our entire universe is at stake. How would we even travel out into our universe to do anything about it...

The human race is really tiny and insignificant compared to all thats alien to us.
                      Last edited by JamesByrne; 31 Aug 2012, 14:59.

Comment

Facehuggers, things bursting out of my chest, just about anything seen in Dead Space and the prospect of being forced to learn Clingon are my biggest Alien fears. If they're like ET, fine, but if their acting is like Mac and Me, *shudder*.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Anal probers.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Anal probers.
                            How did you know what I was thinking?!
                            Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

My fear is the fear of the unknown; what will they be like? how would they communicate? what would they do to us? what are their intentions?

Comment

Working...
                              X