Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I fail at plants...

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    I really don't know what I do wrong. I watered my herbs every day and let them dry out once a week before watering them again the next morning. They picked up after I first got them and ended up living a few months but finally began to wilt and die. I had guests comming over, so I decided to replace them with healthy plants from the supermarket. That was two weeks ago and the basil is already dead. The thyme is just about finished too.

I got a rose plant for Yule and most of that is dead now too. I try so hard but they just refuse to live for me
    Jembru, I wonder where you are buying your plants from? You say you bought one lot of Basil from the Supermarket, if you bought the others from there too that could be your problem.

Any plants that I've bought from a big chain store or supermarket has ended up dying. I thought it was me, too! I mentioned this to someone and they said it could be to do with the environment those chain stores create for the seedlings.
    This person explained that plants that are raised inside a shop or in a hot house may just not have the fortitude to survive in the real world. The lighting and oxygen in those kind of stores are just not the same as in your garden.

Since then, I've started buying from the nursery close by instead and I have a really great garden going now. I'm not perfect, I'm still killing oregano somehow but most of my other stuff is growing reasonably well.

The other thing is to make sure its in the right pot. If the pots too small or doesn't drain, the plant suffers.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

For the past two or three years my Wife and I would go and buy small plants to container garden on our apartment porch. They usually would yield okay, mostly attract Bee's, moth's and other insects, but nothing fantastic.

Now I can't say I've seen any actual results yet, but this year I decided to go organic, and raise the plants up from seeds in my little workshop. Made a bit of a green house setting for them, and over the past week the growth has been fantastic.

Comment

I tried raising plants this year from seed... the thyme grew a little, and then it all just... dunno died. The rosemary and catnip and lemon balm never even sprouted, when I went digging the seeds, they never even opened and rooted. The sage started out really well, growing quite fast... I had 30 little plants, I transplanted 8 into bigger pots... there are now 3, cause Cthulhu ate the tops off of the others and they died... I have 3 little sage plantlings... stupid plants...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Interesting, according to your location we live close to one another so I can rule out environmental issues. As I can really say is make sure the temp and lighting is up to the standard of the plants, that's important, also, remember not to over or under water. Lastly what kind of soil are you using? Often I here people say the either bought a bag of top soil, or just pulled dirt from outside. If you're using Top soil in pots, there's a good chance it's nutrient bare and potentially to compact around your seeds for them to sprout, and if you've used dirt from the outside, especially this time a year there could be numerous things wrong with it.

Comment

Nope I bought a bag of "seed starting soil" and according to the packets for all of the seeds (except the catnip) the seed pots should be in a cool moist soil, which they were, the catnip needs sunlight to sprout and they need to be out of kitty reach, (have you ever tried moving something out of the reach of cats?... yeesh) So they had their own special places. now I will say that the inside of this house is not much warmer than the outside, but it has not actively been freezing in the house soooo.... well w/e looks like sage is all im getting this year, and only some of that...
            I'm honestly fairly convinced that its me... and I just may be laced with plant poison... perhaps it seeps from my pores...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
              (have you ever tried moving something out of the reach of cats?... yeesh)
              I have, with three Cats any potting done inside is just out of control haha. Have you tried those seed started Green House kits? Lots of people have success with them.

Also, when people read sun, they like to put things right next to windows not realizing during the night hours, a draft could really harm things quiet a bit.

Comment

I had one of those when I was a kid, and grew a whole bunch of mold, I have since been afraid to try them... Maybe I am just not meant to grow plants...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                X