Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head coverings on a pagan path

Hello guys!

When I talk about head coverings I am talking about head coverings to protect your self from spirits. I have alot of friends who are into santeria, palo, and vodou. She told me that they wear a white covering to keep the negetive spirits away. I was on a confrence pagan call with alot of other pagans of all paths and they reccomended wearing a bandana (not gang related) or a scarf. Seeing as though I dont like to be fememine, I wont use a scarf. So Id rather use a headband.

I do alot of trance, journey, visionary third eye work. I have visions of terrible things sometimes , the other night it was a horrible entity and when I put the bandana (with suns and moons) all the good and bad visions went away. Also I do shamanic joruneying and I believe that energy can come through the third eye and the top of my head. When I wear a banadna it covers my third eye area protecting it.

Do you guys wear head coverings within ritual, BUT ALSO while out in public? Like not everday (unless you do) but only on times when you feel something like negetive energy for awhile, or like if your preparing for weeks for a huge ritual you wear the bandana to cover up from any negetive spirits.

Just a thought anywho blessings

Re: Head coverings on a pagan path

I heard from some people a while back that they suspected that a part of why the yarmulke and shawls are worn over the head in Synagogue is to protect the Crown Chakra from being overcome by their god's presence. This left me wondering, if this is one of those traditions that the origins of have been completely forgotten.

I have no answer for you, but I suggest that anybody who is working within a properly cast Circle or other form of Liminal Space is just gilding-the-lily to wear further headgear for protection.
    HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

To say that circles dont play a part in Irish trad wouldnt be right but it might be considered disrespectfull to banish fairies in the way neopagans banish spirits when they cast circles. Itd be very bad luck. So wed probably have talismans etc for protecting from spiritual agencies.

For example in Irish folk trad a form of couvade used to protect god parents from the fairies after the birth. I dont know that its necessarily worn over the third eye (Thats not an irish thing) but itd be somewhere visible the arm or the head. The thinking is that because the godparents in Irish trad are a direct barrier between the child and any spiritual power the fairies attack them after the birth if they want to sweep the child away. So to protect them from the fairies in turn a piece of the fathers clothes is torn off and worn by the godparents. The fathers strength (for the moment a supernatural strength) is temporarily added to theirs.

It might be transferable but... I dont know. It works in the sacred relationship between parent, god parent and child at a time of great significance and stress and it works on our indigenous land spirits not necessarily bad spirits. Thered be other examples of talismans Biddy Earlies glass bottles and general Piseog bags but Im not sure thats what youd be after. Theyve nothing to do with the third eye interesting tho they are!

To me anyway

Comment

I never cover my head. I have more than enough hair (of the consistency of wire!) to deal with most things that may be necessary. ;-)
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hah, I hear you, Mrs Penry. I have so much hair!

That said, I like to wear a headscarf sometimes, but more due to an Indian influence than anything.

Mostly art.

Comment

I got into the habit of wearing a head covering in the heat after Iraq, some of the local ladies taught me how to wear them and gave me a few beautiful scarves, (I can barely speak english, so I have mostly forgotten the words I had learned for things.) but I do not use them in ritual, or spirit work, that said, protection is never something to skip. The third eye is not a mental "connection" I make so covering it wouldn't feel like I was being protected with a head covering. Most of my protection comes from my guide anyway, but if thats not what you do then it doesn't apply. I think my feeling is that if it works for you = do it! If however you feel like you want to protect what you see as that spiritual opening upon your head, try an oil or something along those lines if you also want it to be inconspicuous. I am not familiar enough with voodou to be able to offer a perspective upon any sort of signifigance within that spiritual tradition.
            Just some thoughts!
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
            X