Cernunnos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cernunnos

I'm interested in finding out more about Cernunnos. I have read someone's experiences with him and they seem to fit well with my experiences of spirituality, but I would like to read more for comparison.

Has anyone here had experiences with him, and, if so, what were they like?
    Information on him is fairly scarce but are there any good websites about him?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cernunnos

there is some basic information on pantheon.org and godchecker, but nothing too substantial on those particular sites. It seems like at different times and in different places he has had a few other names, and using some of them for a little research might not be a bad Idea, I shall keep my eyes open for you though.

- - - Updated - - -

instead of searching for the god by name, try the horned one or the horned god, The actual name cernunos really only shows up limitedly in historical text.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'll try that, but will those search terms have predominantly Wiccan results? I'll give them a read, but many Wiccan beliefs don't suit me.

Thank you anyway.

Comment

What you might be coming across in the lack of info is Cernunnos' dodgy origins as the center of a horned god cult. The name cernunnos comes from 1 place, a pillar with roman and gaulish imagery on it and it happens to be on an image of a dude with horns. Since there are other images around europe of people with horns people decided there was a cult that matched up to a pre existing theory based on romantacist poetry. One inscription really isnt much to go on so to find info on what cernunnos is supposed to be about youve to go back to the romantacist origins and to things like wicca and thelema where the idea is perpetuated now. That isnt pallatable to contemporary forms of neopaganism but its the only place the horned god cult has probably ever existed.

189px-CLUNY-Maquette_pilier_nautes_1.JPG

The idea of the cult became obsolete in celticism when comparative linguistics became popular. Now its more a case of broad indoeuropean evidence for archetypal deities from a range of languages and literary motifs rather then a 1 name on a pillar being used as supporting evidence for something based on romance and poetry.

Times change but codified forms of neopaganism are stagnant

Comment

I worship Cernunnos. There's not much information out there in written records, and most of the associations granted to him are based on Wicca's archetypal Horned God. In some ways, this deity more resembles Pan, with his sexual nature and pastoral narrative; and in many ways resembles George Frazer's agricultural "dying god" archetype than any historically-described deity. But I have seen aspects of those popular descriptions of him in my experiences.

Comment

is Cernunnos the same god as Herne or the Horned God?

Comment

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
              is Cernunnos the same god as Herne or the Horned God?
              Historically speaking, there is no The Horned God. I mean, clearly there were gods with horns (and some goddesses...), but the whole single Horned God theory has been debunked for a while. So on a historical level, Cernunnos is not the same thing as The Horned God. Now, some people now believe they are the same - but they usually also see all horned gods as aspects of the Horned God. (Or sometimes even all gods as aspects.) So, that'll depend on who you ask, and what they believe.

As far as Herne and Cernunnos? It's unclear. Some theories do say Herne came from Cernunnos - other theories say both are descended from an even older source, rather than one from the other. Some say there's no real relation, or that Herne is descended from another god than Cernunnos. There's not exactly a lot of historical information around Herne... Either way, even if there are shared origins between the two, it would seem they became two different figures (even if they share a few similarities).
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

What are some experiences that devotees of Cernunnos have had? Any kind of way he shows up in your life. Any modern experiences with him? Does he have any teachings? Cernunnos has always interested me.

Comment

I worship Him, One thing that always happens is I feel like he is watching over me when I am outside alone by trees. It's very nice to know.

Comment

Working...
                  X