Soapwort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soapwort

Has anyone tried using this? I've got some seeds in a propagator at the moment. Apparently, you can make shampoo, body wash, hand wash, dish soap and home cleansers from it.

Re: Soapwort

No experience here, but bumping it...I'm interested in seeing what people say!
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

You can make soaps & suds from almost any saponin-rich plant. I'm a daily shower-taker & frequent hand washer. The amount of soapwort & other saponin-bearing plants I've ever been able to grow doesn't yield nearly enough product for my personal use, let alone my household. YMMV on that one

Plus, to me, soapwort itself has an overpowering fragrance. It's nice in small amounts to add to milder shampoos or hand-soaps.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I don't know if it was the same plant, because I was only about 7 years old at the time, but a friend's parents used to have a soapy plant. They would tell me to rip of a leaf and rub it between wet hands to wash them. I had completely forgotten about this until I read this. They didn't make soap from it though, they just used the leaves as ready made soap!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I would take some of the root, chop it into a little water and beat the snot out of it to produce suds. I got the root-pounding method from, of all sources, Clan of the Cave Bear (the book, not the horrible, horrible movie).
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

These are the recipes I've been looking at
            Growing herbs is fun and easy. Learn how to cultivate herbs and use them in DIY crafts, cooking and herbal remedies.

This is a pic of soapwort
            soapwort.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X