alittle help with artemis please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alittle help with artemis please :)

hey everyone, i havent been on here in a long time. i asked awhile ago for people to try to help me identify a goddess and i got alot of responses but none of them really matched up to the goddess. so to make a long story short, i think Artemis is the goddess. only two problems:

1. i used to hunt but stopped because i cant get myself to go out and kill an animal (shes the goddess of the hunt)

2. ive read everywhere that she HATES men.

so...any advice?

oh and sorry if i put this in the wrong place!

Re: alittle help with artemis please

This has never been an issue for me, one doesn't need to actually go out hunting animals to follow Artemis. The hunt doesn't have to be literal.

Historically speaking there were men who worshiped Artemis, so it's not like it's something new there. I think also it's important to consider what it was like in ancient Greece, their views on sex and marriage... Artemis remained a virgin, and had her party do the same not because she hated men, but because this was the only way for them all to remain independent. Even then, she didn't totally shun the company of all men - Orion, for example, was in her party for some time. Yes, she punished many other men for various things... but, she wasn't exactly all sunshine and rainbows to her women followers, either. Have you read many of her myths and such? This is a good place to start, and it may help start to shed some light on this particular topic. It's also important to remember who wrote the myths, what point in history and the culture they were a product of, and so on...

If you've got the money, I'd also recommend two books if you're interested in learning more about Artemis... Unbound: A Devotional Anthology for Artemis, which is a grouping of essays, prayers, and stories by many different devotees. In fact, at least one of the essays deals with the man hating issue. Artemis is another book which may be helpful for you. It's more an information book, her myths, titles, all that sort of thing. Again, there are parts which deal with the whole men issue, as well as looking more in detail and the sex and marriage issues which go along with it.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Those book links are great, Gardenia!

Mostly art.

Comment

thank you Gardenia! i will definitely look into those books. i know alot of her myths actually, i even knew more than my mythology professorX) again thank you very much!

Comment

Interesting! I've put this book in my wishlist thank you!

Can I ask a question: Is Artemis a good goddess to work with? I work with Aphrodite and Hekkate and Bast/Sekhmet would (either of the three) be offended if I worked with her as well

Comment

Avarin, recently i have discovered a facet of Artemis as a goddess of Individuation.

She invites you to run your own race, to live the life you have chosen to follow, to see yourself as an unique being, different from your family, from your friends and from the others.

If you are looking for answers about yourself, then yes, work with Artemis. She is a deity of wild places and will probably lead you to unknown parts of yourself and that means you will have to face your own fears. Assertion, Independence, Persistence. That what you will get if you work with Artemis, amongst other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Avarin View Post
              Can I ask a question: Is Artemis a good goddess to work with?
              Well, that is of course very subjective... In my biased opinion, yes, but of course personal experiences/results may vary...

I work with Aphrodite and Hekkate and Bast/Sekhmet would (either of the three) be offended if I worked with her as well
              Historically speaking, Hekate and Artemis were often associated with each other. To the point that we see syncretic deities such as Artemis-Hecate, and Hekate-Artemis-Selene. Hekate and Artemis share many symbols, and overlap in some functions. I don't think that would be an issue. In Egypt, the Greeks essentially saw Bast as the Egyptian Artemis. (Which also caused her to become a lunar goddess to the Greeks, when the Egyptians of course saw her as solar, among other changes...) In either case, seeing Atremis worshiped alongside Hekate or Bast would not have been unheard of historically. I don't know about Aphrodite, sorry.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
              X