Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarot Cards Dangerous?

lunaciex

Tarot Cards Dangerous?

i am interested in getting some tarot cards, but before i do i was wondering if they could perhaps be dangerous? like a ouija board can be dangerous kind-of-thing. has anyone had any bad experiences with tarot cards? thankyou in advance

Jun 2012
    Religion
    My own path with my own belief system. Irish influence.

Re: Tarot Cards Dangerous?

I sharpen my tarot cards to a razor's edge. When I feel threatened while walking about, I throw them with deadly accuracy at my would-be attackers. My deck is made from razor thin strips of metal which I can also electrify, enabling me to use them to taze an attacker. James Bond and Batman fume, jealous of my tarot card prowess.

Their usage as improvised comic book hero weaponry not withstanding, no, I do not feel that they're dangerous at all. I've had no bad experiences since I started working with them.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Shrug, if you suffer them to control your fate then yes they're dangerous. If you take old Yoda to heart and remember that

"always in motion, the future is"

then their threat is significantly lessened unless you're prone to other acts of bad judgement regarding them.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Just about anything can be dangerous. It all depends how you use them, really, and with what intention... provided you get the balance right, you'll usually be okay. Even with the ouija - although personally it's never been one of my favourite methods.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but this feeds in to something I was going to ask, and I'd rather not start a new thread for a similar question.

I recently bought a new tarot deck. I have other decks and have worked with them for a few years now (how successfully is a different matter). My trouble is that when I opened and held this new deck for the first time I got a serious jolt of badness from them. My head began to spin, I felt unwell. I've put them away and haven't touched them since. I know I need to give them a cleanse to be able to use them, but honestly I'm afraid to open the box again. They are really pretty cards and I'd hate to abandon them. Any advice?
    ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but this feeds in to something I was going to ask, and I'd rather not start a new thread for a similar question.

I recently bought a new tarot deck. I have other decks and have worked with them for a few years now (how successfully is a different matter). My trouble is that when I opened and held this new deck for the first time I got a serious jolt of badness from them. My head began to spin, I felt unwell. I've put them away and haven't touched them since. I know I need to give them a cleanse to be able to use them, but honestly I'm afraid to open the box again. They are really pretty cards and I'd hate to abandon them. Any advice?
    I'd just cleanse them. Either that, or they aren't meant for you, and I would give them away.

My two cents. (shrug)
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I'd just cleanse them. Either that, or they aren't meant for you, and I would give them away.

My two cents. (shrug)
    This. Definitely. Tarot cards are what you make of them. I don't think they are capable of being evil per se, but they don't resonate with you then you probably won't get as much out of them as you'd hope for.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Tarot cards, Ouija boards/talking boards, scrying mirrors, crystal balls, wands, pendulums, pentacles, etc. & so forth are all just tools. It's the person holding the tool that can be a danger to themselves or others. Chances are, if you aren't the type to willingly place yourself in a bad situation, or willfully place others in bad situations, the cards won't lead you to malice, either.

Could be the fresh ink & lamination chemicals - that 'new Tarot smell' can be overwhelming (I know it sound like I'm being a tad facetious here, but I've had a lot of new decks that absolutely stunk - they off-gas like new carpet). Put them out somewhere away from you so they can air out, give them a few days & go back. If you still get the same dizzy-type feeling, then you might consider gifting them to someone.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Jan 2011
    Religion
    Irish polytheist w/ heavy Druid influences

Ditto what everyone else has said. They're tools and it really depends on your intentions. The most dangerous thing I've found using tarot cards? Sometimes they tell me exactly what I need to hear, but not what I want to hear.

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Animism - Christianism
    Phrase
    Le courage du coeur est le gardien de l'âme

If you want a ritual to cleanse your cards, here's one :

- Draw a pentacle east oriented or use a piece of cloth with one drawn on it,
    - Get a stick or some of your favorite frankincense,
    - Choose a quiet place and a moment where you feel relaxed enough,
    - Place your deck at the centre of the pentacle, face down and focus on it by breathing deeply. If you feel it easier to tell some words out loud, prepared for the occasion, you can.
    - Light your frankincense and place it on the northern branch of the pentacle, the one you have oriented to the east.
    - take the first card and pass it above the smoke, thinking of the act of cleansing all bad vibes from it. You can say to yourself something like "by this action i remove your original spirit and replace it by my own energy". I know words can be important for some people to express their gestures during rituals.
    - Do that for each card of the deck.
    - Place the cleansed cards, this time face up, outside the pentacle and somewhere personal. It can be on your bed, on your favorite t-shirt, anything that is filled with your energy.
    - Leave them there as long as you want to, yet not more than one day though, it would be useless.
    - Let the frankincense burns down and remove the pentacle by burning the paper if you have drawn on it or wash the piece of cloth if you used one, by thinking strongly that all the disruptive energies are vanishing.
    - Now, you can use them and deem if the disturbing feeling has left the deck.