Question about something old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about something old

my friend has recently talked to me about how scary ghosts and spirits are and I've been so confident in my understandings and rarely feeling afraid at all when it comes to spirits. However he has got the ghost paranoia thing going and its hard to stay cool when your buddy is freakin out telling you about these unrealistic stories that dont exactly add up but are scary nevertheless.

This brings me to my question: Is the oujia Board Actually a dangerous thing to mess with?

He has told me about how in his family, his uncle had one when he was a teen and he forever has a spirit inside his body because he messed with the board. He was addicted to it and his parents grew concerned. He says everyone who uses it gets possessed and the spirit cannot be removed.. I replied with a "What about an exorcism? isn't that a common and simple solution?" He says "NO! You can't get rid of it or THEM". He said the parents through the board into the fireplace one day and it Didn't have a single mark of evidence that it burned. Then he jumped in the fire and grabbed it and pulled it out. However, I am a critic of his story, because as a kid my mom through away my toys when she got mad at me and I would go Dumpster diving to get my G.I.Joe back. That stuff had sentimental value and I would have personalities for all of my toys man.. I couldn't let it go. But the kid probably reacted without thinking and went for it cause he didnt want his toy to get destroyed and probably pulled it out immediately... meaning it didn't get burned.. NOT because its DEMONIC or some stupid shit like that.. I dislike the Christian ideology of "Demons"... its 'Daemons' and they are nothing that they describe them to be.

Now, I did a little research... People have said that its nothing to freak out about because its just a Parker Brothers toy, which was verified as I saw it at my local Target store today in the children's toys section and a simple google search can even tell you that. However it wasn't created by Parker Brothers and was actually created by someone else a little later than the time Parker Brothers was founded.

Now, people would say that it is a divination tool created by someone that works (like any tool someone would create) however it just so happened to gain popularity and everyone seemed to be getting results from it so its continuing to be used. I have read from a paranormal expert that the Board connects the users to spirits of the "Lower Astral Plane", which makes sense, because those are spirits who have experienced death and pain and are confused and potentially dangerous spirits. But It wouldn't add up with other spiritual beliefs of mine and definitely doesn't add up with a more logical aspect.

Scientists have thought to debunk it with the theory of "The Ideomotor effect". Its basicly the body reacting the same way it always does in a fashion where it doesn't need to be concious to perform.. such as producing tears when feeling intense emotions of sadness or pain.

"The ideomotor effect is a psychological phenomenon wherein a subject makes motions unconsciously. As in reflexive responses to pain, the body sometimes reacts reflexively to ideas alone without the person consciously deciding to take action. For instance, tears are produced by the body unconsciously in reaction to powerful emotions. Automatic writing, dowsing, facilitated communication, and Ouija boards have also been attributed to the effect of this phenomenon. Mystics have often attributed this motion to paranormal or supernatural force. Many subjects are unconvinced that their actions are originating solely from within themselves." -Wiki

It makes sense, however.. being one who believes in energy and the astral, I really have to ask myself if this is also another divination tool (and potentially dangerous one at that...) OR NOT a divination tool (like that of the rest of my tools I own), and is rather a sort of mockery of divination in itself due to its lack of legitimacy?

Re: Question about something old

I always heard it gives you answers by channelling spirits, and theres no way to say whether they are good or bad spirits, i've heard some crazy things happening before due to it... and if you channel those spirits within you its possible for them to try to stay, but yeah an exorcism would work. you can actually handmake a ouiji board too, using paper or cardboard doesnt make it any less valid. but I still don't reccomend it. and fire is the best way to destroy something like that.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Statistically, Hasbro pumps thousands (I'm most likely understating a great deal) of the blasted things out on a yearly basis and we don't seem to have demonic invasions, Ouija induced suicide spams, Ouija induced murder sprees, etc. making news so I expect most people who use them to come out fine. With that said, from what I hear, they are potentially the cheap way to spirit contact. I have large issues with taking shortcuts in necromancy and summoning so I don't use them or recommend them. If I want to bring a spirit out to visit then I'll track down established methods of summoning, and ways to get rid of whatever I call. Ouija boards don't offer enough control for my taste.

On the issue of exorcisms, if the issue is possession than an exorcism should work if the one performing it can bring adequate power to bear on the invading power. Pulling one off can sometimes be easier said than done but the rites exist for a reason. Claims otherwise sound like either bad info at start, someone tried and failed or a possessor attempting to erode the host's will by clever use of propaganda. That said, this isn't a specialty of mine. There may some form of mitigating factor that defends against exorcism to some degree. I severely doubt there are any that make it impossible but making exorcism more difficult is feasible.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I imagine in the right hands, a ouija board could be a useful divinatory or mediumship tool. Most people treat it like what it is - a toy - and they don't get good results because they're playing with it.

My feelings are pretty much what I expressed in Corvus' thread about necromancy.

Most people who use ouija boards, yes/no or talking boards (as they're also called - 'oui ja' means yes-yes when you break it down) generally don't try to contact anyone specific. They usually start off with something akin to, "is there anyone here?" So, that means any curious spiritual passerby can take advantage of the situation. You know real live people who are asses? There are real dead people who are asses, too. Most of the stories I've heard about ouija boards involve ghosts, spirits or entities that seem to be the afterlife's or Otherworld's version of the internet troll.

As to the potential of a piece of cardboard and a piece of plastic taking on otherworldly properties... becoming in and of itself possessed or evil, I am rather skeptical. I tell people I grew up in a household that had the requisite haunted ouija board, and it did seem like the thing ended up in some strange scenarios whenever our more poltergeisty ghosts got frisky. I think it's more because the ghosts & goms in the houses somehow knew that the ouija board made people nervous, and used it to their advantage. That board got passed around my mother's family, through cousins & ended up with me. I tried giving it away, tried selling it but couldn't find anyone who wanted to pay big bucks for a vintage Parker Brothers Ouija Board (it was one from the early 60's), I got tired of carting it around with me like some occult holiday fruitcake, and eventually threw it away. So far, it has not resurfaced in any of my relatives' homes.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The things are cheap junk. Remember tarot was once new as are the boards now so for divination, possobly. From what I've gathered they are a short cut to necromancy but, there's no protection, no specification, no contract, did I mention no protection?
          I don't recomend it spirits of the lower astral plain constantly try to attach to a person, usually on a chakra below or on the throat chakra. Christian demons are simply not nice dieties, powerful creatures of the lower planes ect.
          They certainly can be DANGEROUS. One could also argue all necromancy, channeling, ect. Is dangerous.
          Circe

Comment

Thank you for the replies, ladies and gents!
            Yeah, you guys made sense. It seems as though the hysteria behind the Ouija is a little over dramatized in the story, however its not necessarily voiding a possible realistic scenario if one were to use a Ouija board and be stupid about it.

RE:Corvus
            And what I meant about the Christian version of demons is just that I don't like how they generalize most spirits as demons or whatever. I like to know what kind of specific entity is messing about rather than just saying "its a demon!" for all entities that are mischievous, that's all that I meant by it. I have to agree with you though about the dangers of necromancy, I don't mess with it for a few reasons:
            1) I'm not really That interested in it at the moment
            2) I'm not educated in this area
            3) I don't like having the potential dangers enhanced just cause I'm "Curious" or whatever..

REerzephone
            And the 'internet troll' comment was very cleverly stated :P That's pretty much how it is haha
            (and I understand why you got rid of the old Classic Oujia Board, but I gotta say that its pretty cool that you had a vintage model!)

REufonce
            Yeah I figured that since its wood or cardboard that fire would be the BEST way to destroy it probably, and an exorcism seems like a good solution.. however Im not educated with that either so I'm not sure how difficult that would be. (I don't want to find out :P)

RE:MaskedOne
            Yeah I figured the same. I could agree with you on how it doesn't really give you a whole lot of protection..
            a good analogy would be like someone trying to dig a hole (im making an analogy up off the top of my head). The way to do it is to prepare by getting your digging equipment and helmet.. but the quick easy answer is to use dynamite. You could get away with it unscathed, but it leaves a potential danger.. (Idk if that analogy worked, but w/e)

thanks again guys for the replies, its helped me have a better understanding and insight about the topic

Comment

It's a classic case of ending up hexing oneself really. Your friend is assigning a power to the ouija board that it doesn't really possess - he is giving it that power. And anything of a psychic nature does tend to feed off fear - which is what is happening here.

As for exorcism - yes, it can be done. But you need to be sure that he is possessed and he cannot do it for himself. I am going to stick my neck out here and say that you don't need a clergyman for it either. Anyone - with sufficient strength of character - can probably devise their own exorcism. The one used by the RC church is actually based on Graeco-Roman forensic rhetoric!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I think such things are dangerous but it's because you give it power. The user wants something to happen so there is the possibility that something will. I recommend leaving them well alone.

Comment

I completely agree that the boards only have as much power as you give them. If you use one and are scared that something creapy's going to come out...chances are it will, especially if you don't protect yourself. It goes along with the law of attraction.
                  As above, so below.

Comment

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=583.msg8344#msg8344 date=1288450929]
                    Statistically, Hasbro pumps thousands (I'm most likely understating a great deal) of the blasted things out on a yearly basis and we don't seem to have demonic invasions, Ouija induced suicide spams, Ouija induced murder sprees, etc. making news so I expect most people who use them to come out fine. With that said, from what I hear, they are potentially the cheap way to spirit contact. I have large issues with taking shortcuts in necromancy and summoning so I don't use them or recommend them. If I want to bring a spirit out to visit then I'll track down established methods of summoning, and ways to get rid of whatever I call. Ouija boards don't offer enough control for my taste.

[/quote]

Hah...this just gave me a mental image of some sort of witch doctor cursing each one as it come off the conveyor belt to be boxed, rather like blessing kosher meat
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

LOL!!
                      As above, so below.

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=583.msg8971#msg8971 date=1288656014]
                        Hah...this just gave me a mental image of some sort of witch doctor cursing each one as it come off the conveyor belt to be boxed, rather like blessing kosher meat
                        [/quote]

I was going to object but then I realized, we're talking about a Hasbro product. Anything is possible.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=583.msg8971#msg8971 date=1288656014]
                          [/quote]

LMFAO!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X