favorite books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite books

I was just wondering what is everyones favorite book(s) ??
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Re: favorite books

My all time favourite novel is 'The Onion Girl' by Charlse De Lint. If you haven't read any of his work, I really recommend him. His stories are set in the real world, but blend traditional European spirituality (especially Celtic themes), with local, Native American ideas (it is set in a fictional Canadian city). The people are so familiar. Anyone living a pagan, or new-age lifestyle, will know people who remind them of characters in these books. They have so much depth, so much realism. Many of the themes reflect the harder side of life on Modern Earth, drugs, rape, child abuse, homelessness, prostitution, but lives are aided and even mended, with the help of a spiritual dreamworld which unites the characters. It's where the shamans shape-shift into different animals, where clans of spirits war, where a young lady has an imaginary boyfriend and creates an entire city, where terrible memories from childhood can be faced and defeated..

These books literally changed my life and made me love who I am! The Onion Girl touched me more than any other.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Locating Irish Folklore: Tradition, Modernity, Identity.
      Its explanation of the tradition modernity dichotemy and the formation of nation states changed how I view the world as well as reinforcing my love of folk cultures.

By Diarmuid O Giollain

The Book of the Cailleach its depiction of creation and origin myths in irish folklore and its view of folklore as distinct from medieval lit but having common threads with mythological themes changed my neopaganism.

By Garoid o crualaoich

Comment

It's hard to pick a favourite. I grew up reading what I suppose could be considered young adult/coming of age stories - Secret Garden, Black Beauty; and fantasy books I love too. Right now I'm reading a lot of autobiographies. If I absolutely had to pick one story I'd probably go with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, although I'd rather say the entire Narnia series :wink razz:
        ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Yah, an all time favorite would be difficult. Catch 22 was like my bible in my early 20s though.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Anything, anything at all written by Jacqueline Carey. I would read her shopping lists if she posted them online.

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
            Sarah's Unicorn by Bruce Coville. My favourite childhood book, and still favourite book to this day.

There's more, but these sit right up there. I suppose you could add The Hobbit, too, simply because I've read it over a dozen times in the last dozen years, but I wouldn't call it my favourite.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
            X