This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you exist without a body?

Perhaps one day technology will advance enough to allow the brain to be transplanted or sustained outside the body... what then? A brain hooked up to a computer... existing without a body... does a brain constitute the mind? Are mind and consciousness equivalent? What happens when a brain is put in a different body?

Honestly, that line of thought reminds me of a book I read called unwind which was completely creepy, so now I'm creeped out.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Tentative answers to your rhetorical questions...

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      Perhaps one day technology will advance enough to allow the brain to be transplanted or sustained outside the body... what then?
      Sounds absolutely horrible. Without a body, what is there for a mind (or brain) to do?

A brain hooked up to a computer... existing without a body... does a brain constitute the mind?
      No - it's the brain, in conjunction with input/output from the body, and all the chemical signals that the body produces, which generates the mind.

Are mind and consciousness equivalent?
      Yes. If you take one away, you take the other away.

What happens when a brain is put in a different body?
      It becomes a different brain - because the input/output from the body changes, as do the chemical signals produced by the body. The transplanted brain may still work along the same lines (having similar strengths and weaknesses) as it did in it's first body, but everything it reacts to would be different, leading to become something very different from what it once was.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Can software exist without hardware? No. Can software be moved from one piece of hardware to another? Yes. I think when we die our minds are moved into a spirit body. I think most of that unexplained dark matter is the spirit world.

Comment

Working...
        X