Ask a witch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask a witch....

Well, to be more precise, ask a solitary pagan witch....

And I'll do my best to answer.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Ask a witch....

1)Do you have any dieties,if so who are they?
    2)Do you follow any moral code(wiccan rede for example)?
    3) What does your work concentrate mostly on?
    4) Do you work with nature/protective/seasonal spirits? If so do they have names?
    5) What makes one a witch
    6) Is it true one anyone of any religeon can be a witch?
    7) Being wiccan isn't the same as being a witch is it?
    8) Do you follow the teachings of any figure heads?
    9) Do familiars really exisist? If so what are their purpose?
    10) Do all witches have familiars? Do you have a familiar?
    11) What is the length of study for a whitch?
    12) Is being an apprentice to a senior nessicarry? Have you ever apprenticed? Do you take apprentices?
    13) Do you cast circles?
    14) Bubble, bubble toil and trouble, a movie myth?
    A lot of questions I know thankyou for takeing your time.
    Circe

Comment

1)Do you have any dieties,if so who are they?

I do and they change from time to time. I like to think that I get passed from one to another - rather like going from class to class in order to learn something new. As I got older I found that Hekate came into my life more and more. Cernunnos has been with me for years. And a year or two ago the Norse deity Ullr made an appearance. I tend to accept tuition from whatever diety will teach me.

I don't follow the wiccan rede (which is one of the reasons that I describe myself as a witch rather than a Wiccan.) In my family the moral code was summed up by, 'Wishes and curses are like old hens, they always come home to roost.' In other words all types of magic have the capacity to rebound upon the Creator. If you make a mess it's your job to clean it up!
      All sorts of things. And it tends to vary with the season. So I do a lot of work with herbs during the growing season and a lot of work with incense in winter. Divination ebbs and flows.

4) Do you work with nature/protective/seasonal spirits? If so do they have names?
      Mostly I work with the Green man and Green maiden. These I regard as my spiritual guides.
      that's a good one! Partly I think it's self defining. I don't think anyone can tell you that you are a witch, it seems to be something you feel in your bones. At least that's what happened to me. Although I came from a family that practiced the craft, I personally don't think that there's any real advantage. (Also virtually all they did was hex.)

It all depends. If you leave your original religion behind in order to become a witch there's no problem. If you hang onto your original religion, then depending what it is you might encounter a few problems. You see, most pagans and polytheists don't have a problem with you being eclectic. The problem comes really when you are trying to combine one of the Abrahamic faiths with something else because they are monotheistic and aren't really going to appreciate sharing.

Personally I would say no. Others might argue differently. As with all my answers on this thread I can only speak for myself.
      Do you follow the teachings of any figure heads?
      No.

10) Do witches have familiars? Do you have a familiar?

I'm going to answer these two together. Some people swear familiars do exist. I have never had one. I have however had large numbers of pets. I tend to treat my dogs rather like children, with children's names... I have to say mine are rather badly behaved children though....I suspect that the idea of witches having familiars was largely a construct of the witchfinders.

Several lifetimes.

12) Is being an apprentice to a senior nessicarry? Have you ever apprenticed? Do you take apprentices?
      At the end of the day we each have to walk our path alone. Nobody else can walk it for us. I don't take apprentices for much the same reason as I don't belong to a coven - I like being a solitary. I am however always happy to answer questions or give advice when asked.
      13) Do you cast circles?
      Sometimes. It depends on the circusmtances.

Shakespeare, MacBeth Act 1 I think. There is a lot of information hidden in Shakespeare if you know where to look!
      A lot of questions I know thankyou for takeing your time

You're very welcome!

Comment

For the purpose of this thread, I can give an accurate impression of my own path, an eclectic witch with neopagan and quasi-reconstructionist views in both Celtic and Heathen mindsets.

Obviously, a far cry from the more traditionalist path that Tylluan can share. But I'm sure the basis of witchcraft won't have too many differences, as witchcraft, itself, is not a religion but a lifestyle, really. It's what one does.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]
        1)Do you have any dieties,if so who are they?[/quote] The best way I can answer this is yes, I have deities. I do not know their names, I do not give them names.

I know, that only brings about more questions so I'll fill in the gap, right off. My eclecticism: I have inklings, really, of who they might be but it is not my place to question or even assume anything about the gods and goddesses. Because of my Heathen leanings, I believe in a great many "higher powers" and with my Celtic aspect, I focus a lot more on work with Nature than the average Heathen.

As a witch, it's not part of my path, believing in Lord & Lady or god(s) and goddess(es) or whomever. The witch works with the manipulation of perceptions and the world around me. My religion is related but far removed from that.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]2)Do you follow any moral code(wiccan rede for example)?[/quote]
        I'm often accused of having no moral code. I don't follow the Wiccan Rede or any mandated set of rules, like that. My morals, along with my ethics and values, are simply self prescribed.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]3) What does your work concentrate mostly on?[/quote]

Seriously, and in a practical sense, I concentrate mostly on spells that aid in wisdom and health. I've spent a great amount of time, in the past, exploring a range of spellwork and intentions but in the end, mundane answers are often easier. So, I've just fallen back to aids in decision-making and good health.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]4) Do you work with nature/protective/seasonal spirits? If so do they have names?[/quote]

The elements (earth, air, fire and water) are a fair representation of all that is, with the addition of spirit. In that respect, alone, I work with the natural world, Mother Nature and the seasons.

I don't give the compass points any kind of names, if that's what you mean.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]5) What makes one a witch[/quote]

Simply, the practice of witchcraft. If you practice witchcraft, you'd be a witch.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]6) Is it true one anyone of any religeon can be a witch?[/quote]

Within reason, I'd say. Many religions bar the practice of witchcraft. If one could find a way around that fundamental conflict, of certain actions being against the rules, then I don't see why not.

Personally, I have a great many doubts about many claims regarding mixing witchcraft with whatever other religions - but then... I'm an Eclectic. I mixed shit up, why can't the next person?

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]7) Being wiccan isn't the same as being a witch is it?[/quote]

No, they aren't the same. In some circles, because of etymology, there is a direct connection however the *Religion* of Wicca is not the same as the *word* wicca (or, more accurately, wicce)

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]8) Do you follow the teachings of any figure heads?[/quote]

Figure heads? No. I find lessons, all over the place, that I can learn from, but not one single "leader" of my path.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]9) Do familiars really exisist? If so what are their purpose?[/quote]

Depends on how one ascribes "familiar" to their path. A familiar, to me, is just the animal friends that I share my life with. They share their life with me, I share mine with them. In that respect, of course they exist... we just call them "pets".

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]10) Do all witches have familiars? Do you have a familiar?[/quote]
        Again, it depends on how each witch defines "familiar".

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]11) What is the length of study for a whitch?[/quote]

In my world? A life time.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]12) Is being an apprentice to a senior nessicarry? Have you ever apprenticed? Do you take apprentices?[/quote]

To an eclectic, apprenticeship is virtually meaningless. I did not apprentice with anyone and I do not take others as apprentices. I say "virtually"? Because mentors, the learned, the elders and very wise, all can teach us a great many things if we only take the time to listen, and absorb what they have to share.

That's just not the same as an apprenticeship.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]13) Do you cast circles?[/quote]

In a manner of speaking, I guess. I don't go for all the pomp and circumstance, often seen in movies or on television (I have a suspicion that when the cameras turn on, people get extravagant.) But there is a sort of bubble I put myself in, I guess you could say.

From what I've seen of other practices, though? You don't change the oil, on your car, in your living room. People have a place to do their thing, whatever that *thing* is. Witchcraft has no such limitations - ANYWHERE can be the right place.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]14) Bubble, bubble toil and trouble, a movie myth?[/quote]

Big time. Hocus pocus, and all that, is a caricature and a wild exaggeration that had a baby. And we all see the baby's offspring.

Sadly, most people still want to view the offspring's parents and grandparents as the reality. I'll show you a cauldron, a broom, a pointy hat and you already know what the image is.

I do NOT have a wart on my nose.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=594.msg8567#msg8567 date=1288549118]A lot of questions I know thankyou for takeing your time.
        [/quote]

I know it's Tylluan's thread, this gratitude was directed at her, but I have to say, I'm happy to help share. If nothing else? It's a different perspective of being a witch and what witchcraft is. To me.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I figured I'd answer this just for fun...its kind of interesting to see how different people answer it based on their own practices.

1)Do you have any dieties,if so who are they?[/quote]
          Nope.

Treat others with the same amount of respect that you would wish to have shown to you until they show themselves to be worth more or less and only do what you are prepared to take responsibility for.
          herbology, magic centered around the home and water magic.

I work with the elements...and I do not choose to anthropomorphize elemental forces.

The practice of witchcraft and the acknowledgement of oneself as a witch.

Yes, provided they can reconcile the teachings of their religious opinion to their satisfaction with their witchcraft.

No.

8) Do you follow the teachings of any figure heads?
          No

IMO, no.

10) Do all witches have familiars? Do you have a familiar?
          No.

If you stop studying and practicing, IMO, you are no longer a witch.

No.

13) Do you cast circles?
          I have. Its a technique that can be used to consecrate or dedicate a space to work in...but its just a tool, and its not necessary.

As Mrs. Penry pointed out, that would be Shakespeare. And most stereotypes have some truth to them. This one depends on the question you are really trying to ask. Is magic like that of movies? No. Can magic be manifested in many ways, including the mundane act of cooking? Yes.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Chain and Thal - thank you so much for joining in and answering the questions. It's fascinating to discover how different people view their path. And thank you Corvus for putting forward such thought provoking questions!

Comment

Do you feel that it is necessary to "do magic" in order to be a witch? Or can one have the knowledge, and have the "belief" (for lack of a better word this early in the morning) and just not use it?

I ask because while I am perpetually reading and seeking knowledge, I rarely actually "practice" and then it is usually just for home cleansing or to bring myself closer to the earth... grounding or whatnot.

Thanks!

Comment

A lot of casters tend to do less actual casting as they progress. That said, I don't consider myself a witch so much as a guy with odd beliefs and some cool tricks. There are limits to what I can say with certainty.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=Veronica link=topic=594.msg8784#msg8784 date=1288609523]
                  Do you feel that it is necessary to "do magic" in order to be a witch? Or can one have the knowledge, and have the "belief" (for lack of a better word this early in the morning) and just not use it?

I ask because while I am perpetually reading and seeking knowledge, I rarely actually "practice" and then it is usually just for home cleansing or to bring myself closer to the earth... grounding or whatnot.

Thanks!
                  [/quote]

Myself? I was probably into my third year of studying before I actually tried my first spell. A spell that came directly out of Uncle Bucky's book on candle magic. At the time, and to be honest, for many years after, I did not consider myself a witch. I was under the impression, for most of that time, that if you didn't follow the directions, to the letter, that were handed out by such authors as Cunningham, Silverwolf or Buckingham, you just weren't "doing it". Meaning, if you ain't doing what they tell you, you aren't Wiccan (or whatever specific tradition) - you just aren't even pagan. (Much like the "fake Christians", not attending church, not reading or indeed following the Bible - but JUST saying they believe in God. Or Christ, the Savior.)

I didn't find out, until a bit over 10 years ago, that there's such a thing as Eclectic. At that point, I started realizing a few of my fundamental errors that I'd assumed, early on. Apparently, I still have a few to find.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Thanks!
                    [/quote]

Well...thats sort of tricky to answer, I think. And I'm going to do so as someone that changes how they describe themselves in terms of religious, spiritual and magical practice about every six months

Look at it this way... If you really like paintings, and you read lots of art books and technique guides, but you never pick up a brush unless its to remodel your bathroom...would you consider yourself a painter? And, even if you wouldn't call yourself a painter, could you?

I theoretically *know* lots of things--some of which I may never use, others that I will possibly need to know at some point in time, and some that I use on a daily basis...but knowing how to do something isn't the same as doing it. If I don't keep the ability to do similar tasks current, then I'm not ready for when I might need that knowledge and ability (for example, I was a medic in the Navy--depending on what job I was assigned to, I might not need to stitch someone up, put in an IV, or perform CPR on a regular basis...but I sure as hell needed to be able to do it at a moments notice as if I had never taken the time away).

So...to some degree, yes. You need to do SOMETHING to be PRACTICING witchcraft...because witchcraft is what makes you a witch...and since all witchcraft that I can think of is done with some sort of magic (how you choose to interpret what magic is may vary), you would need to do some sort of magic to be a witch.

Of course magic is not just spells...or rituals...etc And what you choose to do as your practice, well...that varies too. IMO, its just as much the little ways to do magic--putting a munchkin to sleep, tending the plants, cleaning the house (and *somewhere* we have a topic on this...maybe I'm thinking of precrash) that counts.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks!
                      [/quote]

It's not so much 'doing' magic on your own account that matters, more than you need to recognise that magic exists, and it can affect our lives in various ways. For example, I have known so people I would regard as witches who are very aware of natural magic yet rarely cast a spell. That's why is tend to call it the Craft - because there are many different types of craft within witchcraft.

Comment

I like these answers! I don't do much in the way of casting, but I do have some 'witchy' tendencies I feel that I don't have enough time to put into something to do any rituals etc... ya know?

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=594.msg8825#msg8825 date=1288620456]
                          Of course magic is not just spells...or rituals...etc [/quote]

As witches how would you define magic? Thalassa already answered this in her above post but I would be interested to hear other ideas
                          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

1)Do you have any dieties,if so who are they?[/quote]
                            None specific ... More like a generic him and her ...
                            2)Do you follow any moral code(wiccan rede for example)?[/quote]
                            1.) Don't hit females unless absolutely necessary ...
                            2.) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ...
                            3.) If I am gonna have to fight then I am gonna win, no question about that ...
                            3) What does your work concentrate mostly on?[/quote]
                            Herbs while cooking ... Grounding ...
                            4) Do you work with nature/protective/seasonal spirits? If so do they have names?[/quote]
                            Crow ... (Phredde) ...
                            5) What makes one a witch[/quote]
                            Someone else calling you one ... To me "witch" is a label used to identify a personality trait or lifestyle to others ...
                            6) Is it true one anyone of any religeon can be a witch?[/quote]
                            Let me paraphrase that a bit ... I think a person of any path can practice spellcraft or herbcraft or any number of other functions within their particular path without getting into too much trouble ... Just look at what Solomon did with angels and planets ...
                            7) Being wiccan isn't the same as being a witch is it?[/quote]
                            Not all Wiccans practice witchcraft (whatever that might be) and not all witches are Wiccans ...
                            8) Do you follow the teachings of any figure heads?[/quote]
                            Nope ...
                            9) Do familiars really exisist? If so what are their purpose?[/quote]
                            Familiars to me are close friends ... And close friends do exist ...
                            10) Do all witches have familiars? Do you have a familiar?[/quote]
                            Nope ... And I have had a few in the past but none current that I am aware of ...
                            11) What is the length of study for a whitch?[/quote]
                            LIFE ...
                            12) Is being an apprentice to a senior nessicarry? Have you ever apprenticed? Do you take apprentices?[/quote]
                            1.) no
                            2.) not officially
                            3.) not per se ...
                            13) Do you cast circles?[/quote]
                            yup ...
                            [/quote]
                            Macbeth ... by Willy Shakespeare ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Thanks!
                              [/quote]
                              Sounds like me ... A person does not have to "DO" magic all the time to be a witch or a pagan ... I am lucky if I get in a circle once a month ... When I feel the need ... Then I do ... But then I had a few years when I did twice a month religiously ... I do light candles for friends ... And once in a great while I will make a lit paper balloon ...
                              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                              X