Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals for the ritual-less?

Greetings!

Long story short, I'm ritual-less, and I'm deity-less. To me, I've never understood rituals at all. I previously lived in Hawaii, and basically, there's no seasons (albeit the rainy season and the not-so rainy season). I live in the south of the U.S. so there still isn't much of a seasonal change.

Lately, I've wanted to incorporate more of my beliefs into my lifestyle, but I'm not sure what would be a good thing to do. If anything, I'd worship the Sun and water, since those are the big givers of life (I know there's others, salt, phosphorus, cobalt, etc etc that make up living organisms, but the sun and water, I think, are really the key ingredients to life.) The ironic thing, too, is I'm actually a night person. What a pickle!

I'm pretty big on belief of a chaotic driving force that is life, though I don't necessarily feel the need to worship it, as I'm a part of it as much as it's a part of me.

I just feel the need for more involvement! What are some good things you guys may do, that might be an interesting thing to do?

Thank you~

Hoho

Re: Rituals for the ritual-less?

How about simply starting a regular routine of meditation and breathing? You mentioned elsewhere that you're into fitness and I really find meditation to be an excellent compliment to a regular exercise routine. This way, you can focus on your spirit, connecting it to you body. You can focus on whatever you consider to be central to your beliefs. Feeling the creative energy of the universe as you breath deeply and drift down, into yourself, can be very empowering.

I'm like you, I'm nocturnal (my work shifts begin at 10pm and end 8am the following morning), because days just weren't working out for me. I love the night, I love winter and I'm just more alert during the night. So for me, meditation feeds my need for darkness and stillness, while at the same time, I use the 'white light' visualisation to balance myself. Maybe this will benefit you too?

Hope you find something that works for you!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hmm that would be a good idea, I do not meditate regularly, and you're right about feeling the creative energy of the universe drift into your very being, it is a very intense feeling, very blissful and free. I think I should actually do it twice a day then, in the morning after I get up then an hour or so before I go to sleep~

Thank you!

Comment

I've been struggling with this myself. Perhaps adding a consciousness of gratefulness for life giving factors. Thanking (or even just acknowledging) the universe, etc., for the food you eat, the water you drink, having shelter, love, etc. I don't like saying prayer, because I don't necessarily mean as focused as prayer, but... becoming really aware of these things and acknowledging it.

That's not to say that prayer isn't a useful daily exercise... but it seems kind of important to know what you're praying to before actively beginning prayer.

Also, if you're physically active, which it sounds you might be, you could try looking into something like tai chi, yoga, or a martial art and the philosophy behind them. Something like that might work for you. Physical discipline as a dedication or devotional to your beliefs.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          Perhaps adding a consciousness of gratefulness for life giving factors.
          Like Shahaku said, gratitude practices are so wonderful. There is so much to be thankful for in any given day. Practicing daily Metta is such a beautiful exercise as well!

Although spiritual forms of exercise such as Tai Chi, yoga, and various forms of martial arts are great, if you enjoy exercise in general, walking, body weight and dumbbell training is simple and a wonderful way to connect to any type of Energy, deity, or higher power. Some of your best communions can be through physical activity.
          "What spiritual path do I follow you ask? I'm me, and you're you. What can be more perfectly beautiful than that?" - Charmed Fool (me)

Comment

Working...
          X