Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mixed beliefs and inner confusion.

Originally posted by ConsultingTrickster View Post
    A certain Heathen God pretty much just sprang out of the woodwork and made contact with me.
    May I ask which Heathen god??
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I had a mixed system of Christianity/Gnosticism/Paganism for a while but I've finally worked my way through the muddle.

Druidry is the way for me now, and glad I've finally managed to focus on the one path - much more relaxed now that I no longer have to perform the daily mental gymnastics!

saying that, I still have a copy of the Gnostic Bible (the Nag Hammadi Scriptures) and am intending to give it one more read soon (the 3rd time) before finally letting go of it.

Comment

I'm a soft polytheist. I feel that all named Gods/Goddesses are of worth but also that they are all just fragments of the true divine. We can't relate to divinity in its purest form, so it appears to us in ways we can understand.

If you like; the named Gods are divinity tainted my human ideas and expectations.

My Goddess has many names (she told me so herself). I believe one of those names to be Hecate.

Comment

I can totally relate to this.

I'm a polytheist studying ADF Druidry, and I'm currently caught between two pantheons (or hearths as ADF calls them). I started working with the Irish pantheon, specifically with Brighid and Lugh. After a few years of working with them, I had two Roman Deities pop into my life. It's been kind of a strange road, reconciling the two practices since my approach is taking elements of historical practice and modernizing it. I am still working on it.

My suggestion is to keep doing what you are doing - honor the Gods that speak to you, literally and metaphorically. If you feel that it would be better, keep your worship of Hellenic deities separate from this Norse God who has popped up. The best thing to do? Ask the God in question what he would prefer. Speak to some people who follow the Norse tradition and see what customs you can incorporate into your own practice, or take an eclectic approach to your path. You don't necessarily have to choose, unless you want to.

Comment

can a Druid have Woden and Brigid as the two main gods?

Comment

Ever since I came across this thread, I have been pondering my choices of Gods and Goddesses... They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them, but I am curious to know what others may think of the mix... So, my main Gods and Goddesses are: Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think? I honestly want to hear opinions, suggestions, ideas. I'm just looking for something to mull over, perhaps expand or explore. ^_^
              My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                Ever since I came across this thread, I have been pondering my choices of Gods and Goddesses... They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them, but I am curious to know what others may think of the mix... So, my main Gods and Goddesses are: Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think? I honestly want to hear opinions, suggestions, ideas. I'm just looking for something to mull over, perhaps expand or explore. ^_^
                I am one of the people who works a bit with god soup myself, I tend to analyse them with a more universalist attitude, but I like putting names to what I do... Partly out of habit and partly because I can't find a good reason not too. I don't see a problem with you personal prefrences, I personally feel like osiris is the odd man out, but I don't know as much about pan or osiris as I could. So its hard for me to form a solid opinion. But again I have my own special brand of crazy, that I would not want to justify to anyone, so I think you are good to go!
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  I am one of the people who works a bit with god soup myself, I tend to analyse them with a more universalist attitude, but I like putting names to what I do... Partly out of habit and partly because I can't find a good reason not too. I don't see a problem with you personal prefrences, I personally feel like osiris is the odd man out, but I don't know as much about pan or osiris as I could. So its hard for me to form a solid opinion. But again I have my own special brand of crazy, that I would not want to justify to anyone, so I think you are good to go!
                  I agree, Osiris does seem like the odd man out. LOL! Everyone else seem to fit better. Yet, I'm so drawn to the story of Osiris and when I first started my path, he was the first God I uttered by candlelight. Though, I wanted your honest thoughts and got it, thank you! At least I know I'm not alone in thinking, "Erm... Osiris... does he really fit?" I just attribute him to the darker side of myself, of death and rebirth. Everyone else is directed to the "living" parts of me that I can relate to. At one point, I had added Poseidon to the mix, but that just didn't feel right and I added him because I like water and I thought he was "cool". Not a good reason to pick a God and I may have offended Him too! LOL! Or I would be offended, if I was a God and follower says, "I'm going to add you to my list, because you seem cool and carry a trident!" Hey, I was young and sillier than I am now. ;^_^
                  My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                    They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them
                    Of course, this is the most important part. Deities speak to people in different ways/we speak to them in different ways, we're on different paths, have different needs, and so on... We all have to go with what actually works and makes sense to us, even if other people don't like it for whatever reason.

That said...

Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think?
                    Now, out of curiosity, when you say mix - are you worshiping/working with all four at once? Speaking more broadly, you've got Greek, Roman, and Egyptian deities there. These cultures and pantheons did all mix, to some extent, in ancient times. (The deity Serapis originated from a blending of Osiris and other Egyptian concepts, with Greek and later Roman ones...) I don't think there's anything especially weird about this particular mix, even including Osiris.

Good and bad are, of course, pretty subjective. If it's working for you, that seems good to me.
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                      Of course, this is the most important part. Deities speak to people in different ways/we speak to them in different ways, we're on different paths, have different needs, and so on... We all have to go with what actually works and makes sense to us, even if other people don't like it for whatever reason.

That said...

Now, out of curiosity, when you say mix - are you worshiping/working with all four at once? Speaking more broadly, you've got Greek, Roman, and Egyptian deities there. These cultures and pantheons did all mix, to some extent, in ancient times. (The deity Serapis originated from a blending of Osiris and other Egyptian concepts, with Greek and later Roman ones...) I don't think there's anything especially weird about this particular mix, even including Osiris.

Good and bad are, of course, pretty subjective. If it's working for you, that seems good to me.
                      Sigh of relief here... I keep forgetting that's why I was drawn to paganism in the first place! That freedom following the deities that speak to you, even if it's different or weird to others. Thanks for reminding me of that, Gardenia. ^_^

To answer your question, no I only work with one God and one Goddess at a time, but I mix and match the couples. Sometimes it's Osiris and Diana or Pan and Aphrodite, or Osiris Aphrodite, and so on. And depending on mood or need, another God or Goddess may come into the rite or prayer, usually Greek or Roman. But for the most part it's mostly these four that are constant. It works for me or seem to anyways, I have no complaints. Yet, I have a fear offending my deities, so I ask because I don't want to mix a God and Goddess who generally would hate each other or not associate with each other... if such a thing exist. I admit that I am not knowledgeable of every God and Goddess out there in the universe, I'm constantly learning about more. And before finding this thread, I didn't even think that maybe mixing would be weird across the pantheons or haphazard. It was not mentioned in the books for solitary Wicca when I started and I've had no formal training getting into this path many years ago, just books, websites, and a lot of guess work. So, I'm open to asking questions and learning more. Thanks for telling me about the cultures and pantheons mixing with Greek, Roman, and even Egyptian. I've been too afraid to ask on other forums, because of the attitudes towards "newbie questions". And I didn't want to get laughed at, especially when I've been practicing for so long. ;^_^
                      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Working...
                      X