Thread: To Spell or Not to Spell

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

To Spell or Not to Spell

I'm breaking this off the 'To Do Evil' thread (located here) because I didn't want to derail it.

When is it appropriate to use magic in the first place?

[quote author=LiadanWillows link=topic=593.msg8594#msg8594 date=1288555205]
    Magic is not for rage, revenge, power or any negative thing, it is supposed to be used to connect you to the God/dess. Magic is to be used ONLY if mundane interventions do not work first!
    [/quote]

This is a view I myself once held. I felt that magic was supposed to be only for last resorts, when all other solutions had failed. I don't know where, when or why I developed that notion. I don't remember anyone drilling it into my head, I don't remember getting it from any specific book. I just somehow thought that magic was a last ditch effort.

I went for many years always trying to find mundane solutions to even the hardest, most obstinate, most difficult situations. I usually would beat myself silly before 'resorting' to magic, but it seemed like when I did use magic, it would work so well that I'd kick myself for not using it earlier. It finally sunk in that hey, there were no Magic Police out there who were going to arrest me for starting off with a spell or charm or something.

I've come to the conclusion, over time, that magic is a tool. It's around to help people when they need a little extra 'something'. Maybe it'll make a resume more noticeable, maybe it'll help a civil servant to be more civil, give a little extra oomph to a marathon runner or during final exams. In other words, why not use magic to help solve problems or get better results when competing or performing?

Now, I'm not saying to just cast spells and let things take care of themselves. You have to put in some practical work to help the magic do its job. Magic probably won't change a tire or get a beer from the fridge. I think there are limits, too. My oldest sister is the type of person who would cast a spell in hopes of it helping her get clean faster in the shower. I find myself eye-rolling at her a lot because I'm her main contact for information on correspondences and what-not, and I find myself asking, "you want a spell for what?!" more often than not.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ophidia; 30 Jan 2012 at 08:37. Reason: Ending the apostropocalypse

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Re: To Spell or Not to Spell

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Magic is just a tool and why wouldn't you use it if it helps. I think the problems start when people being to use magic instead of mundane means in order to solve their problems. As long as it is used in conjunction with more mundane methods I don't see the harm.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanic
    Phrase
    The rabid leg humper.

i fully agree Perzaphone. When I first started my path I was a little scared to do any actual spell-work...not because of my upbringing but because I could not wrap my mind around the mechanics of how it was done. Once I learned a bit about magical physics I started dabbling and then eventually began to use magic daily. Magic is a tool to help us in our daily lives and to many could be considered a way of life, not because its "the lazy way" of doing things, but IMHO a skill that all of us have and a skill that can be used to not only make our lives a little less treacherous of an ordeal, but also help us examine and find who we are, and who we can become.

The reason I view magic this way is because there is no reason not to. There is nothing to stop anyone from this, though I have met a few teachers that teach magic as a last resort so their students don't go around performing spell-work without think of what they are asking for, i.e. asking to remove all things from his/her life that impede his/her magical study and growth, and then losing there job and family.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I like spells and as a creative person, I feel like creating or adapting spells to "help" a situation fits with my nature. Whenever I actually do a spell, I always figure that I should be already doing some of the mundane things to achieve it (but I wouldn't beat myself down trying) and should continue to do so after the spell. After all what's the use of an attraction spell if I'm feeling antisocial or a spell to help me find a job if I haven't sent out applications? Kind of obvious examples but you get the idea

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

YAY I have been quoted!!! teehee. :P

I don't know why I have always practiced this way. Trying mundane interventions first wasn't something that I had found anywhere either, it just feels right to me. I just don't want to be one of those people that choose to cast for every simple little thing. I understand that many people see magic as a tool. I instead see it as a gift given to me by the God/dess and I do not want to abuse it. I do not know where this philosophy comes from, it just feels right
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

I originally thought of magic as a last resort, that lasted only a month. Now I use magic whenever I have a realitly sound reason. Spells can't do everything but they can do alot
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

In my experience there are two extremes - those who reach for a spell book at the slightest obstacle instead of looking for a sensible practical solution, and those who will do just about anything to avoid casting a spell at all.

Me - I do magic as and when. It's a personal thing - if I feel it's right, and am willing to take any consequences, then I'll do it.

The funny thing is though, that the better I got at magic, the less I need to do it.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

I'm quite in agreement, Perze (surprised?). And I think it depends on the path that one follows. If spellwork is just supposed to be nothing more than "white magic"? Well, you know where those folks would stand on banishings and hexes or curses... taboo. It's sort of an extreme example but the point, I think, is there. The bias comes from the relationship between magic use and religion, it seems.

I mean, if there's some unwritten edict, in one's path, that forbids the use of such "evil spells" <cringe>, obviously they're going to feel a hell of a lot differently about it than someone like myself, that sees absolutely no difference in spells for good OR harm. If it feels appropriate? Use it.

But, to quote Mrs. Penry:
    [quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=600.msg8752#msg8752 date=1288601332]
    The funny thing is though, that the better I got at magic, the less I need to do it.
    [/quote]

This. Precisely.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan

Magic is a tool, neither good nor evil. If you can walk over and change the TV channel, you don't need magic to do it for you. That's all anyone needs to consider in my mind. Use it when you need to but you don't need it on the mundane things.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=600.msg8752#msg8752 date=1288601332]
    In my experience there are two extremes - those who reach for a spell book at the slightest obstacle instead of looking for a sensible practical solution, and those who will do just about anything to avoid casting a spell at all.

Me - I do magic as and when. It's a personal thing - if I feel it's right, and am willing to take any consequences, then I'll do it.

[/quote]

The only point here that I would disagree with is that I don't do less magic...............I do less spells and/or rituals. The magic is still there, its just used in different ways.

Which is why it annoyed the crap out of me when we had an invasion of people that used these boards and our members as spell encyclopedias.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible