This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask a Kemetic

We had this thread before, but I thought I'd revive it. Ask a question, those who follow a Kemetic path will answer to the best of their ability.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Re: Ask a Kemetic

I've salvaged part of the thread:

Raphaeline:
    Fox has a question:

"What is a Kemetic marriage ceremony like?"
    She's interested in having one, I believe

Gardenia:
    Quote from: Raphaeline on August 18, 2007, 07:07:31 PM

Fox has a question:
    "What is a Kemetic marriage ceremony like?"
    She's interested in having one, I believe

Marriage in ancient Egypt was actually not a religious thing, and was pretty much just a "legal" bond. (Legal bonds were taken very seriously though, oath-breaking was an awful thing. So, acts like adultery were really looked down upon as it was seen as the breaking of an oath.) By legal.. I don't really mean that the state had any say in it, but the contracts and all that were done for legal purpouses. Middle and upper classes would hire a scribe to draw up a contract between the two. Basically, ithe contract just said what would happen to what in the event of a divorce. Lower classes didn't really have a lot of possessions to worry about, so they probably went with a more vocal contract.

Pretty much, the bride would dress in her finest clothes, gather up all her things and be moved into the groom's (or his parents&#039 house. No real official ceremony. However, it's probably easy to assume that there was music followed by a feast - because let's face it, those things followed most events in ancient Egypt. They loved a good party, lol.

The few modren Kemetic weddings I have seen were similiar. They are legally married by the state. Then they party. Sometimes they may write vows and create a more elaborate ceremony that looks pretty much like a modren wedding.. with little hints and references.
    my etsy store
    My blog

to descend."

Comment

Ok, this is a bit out of order. Hey, at least I was able to finally find the first page.

Gardenia:
      So, Rafe originally asked me to create a thread with information on the various Egyptian paths out there. I thought that in addition to that, I'd open up the thread for any other questions people may have. I think there are a few other Kemetics around the forum, too, and of course you're welcome to add your answers too! I'm sure most of us are aware of what happens when you ask 5 pagans a question... ;D

First a little information which may help.
      Kemet is the ancient Egyptians' name for their land. It means 'black land', in reference to the fertile black soil on the banks of the Nile. The source of life.
      Kemetic means something like of, or relating to, Kemet.
      Tamera is a nickname for Egypt, meaning 'beloved land'.
      Netjeru means Gods.
      Anyone exploring the Egyptian paths will probaby notice a difference in names used. Yineup.. Anpu.. or Anubis? Many are familiar with the Greek/Roman names given to the Gods. Abunis, Hathor, Isis, Horus.. The Egyptians, however, called their Gods by different names. Yinpeu, Het-heret, Aset, Heru. (You can also see different spellings of the Egyptian names.. Anpu, Het-hert, Auset.. etc.) Some names are the same, Ra is Ra. Nut and Geb, Shu and Tefnut - all the same.

That said, I'll start it off with her questions.

What are some varieties of Kemetic beliefs? You mentioned recontructionists and Orthodoxy, and Kemetic Pagans. What differentiates between them all?
      Now, answering this may be tricky. Let's keep in mind that different people may have different details, and these are just kinda general statements.

There are many paths out there that involve ancient Egypt, all to various degrees.
      The first I became familiar with is Tameran Wicca. This is Wicca (rede, circles, sabbats, and all) with an Egyptian tint. They worship the Netjeru, though they may call them by their Greek names. Sometimes not. They study the Egyptian mysteries durring their wheel of the year.. For example, Osiris as grain God, growing and dying as in his myth - as grain does durring the year.
      And as a side note, you may also find Tameran Wicca called Egyptian or Kemetic Wicca instead, for various reasons.

In a similiar way, there are Kemetic pagans. This is a broad group of people, no surprise I'm sure. Not following a Wiccan tradition, but not reconstructionists either. Mixing elements of modern paganism, with ancient Egyptian thought. All to various degrees.

Then we come to Kemetic reconstructionism. These are people who are following the religion of ancient Egypt as best they can. They share many beliefs with them, worship their Gods in a traditional way, follow their holidays, ethics, so on and so on. Rare is it to find a recon who is doing everything the super exact same way, though. I mean, this part of Egyptian history lasted thousands of years. Things changed! Not often major things, but things did change.

Here's something about Kemetic recons that often shocks other recons - many of us are soft polytheists. Yes, you indeed read that right. "But the ancient Egyptians were hard polytheists!" Actually, scholars are debating this. Personally, after reading their religious writings, and being very familiar with Hindu writings.. I go to soft myself. Plus, I dunno how else to wrap my mind about someone like Ptah-Sokar-Wesir. There are hard polytheists among recons as well, but I see them less often..

There are traditions within recons. Kemetic Orthodoxy (AKA, the house of Netjer) is one, and I believe it is still the largest. Per-Ankh (The house of life), is another. There are also solitaries.

What are the requirements to be Kemetic? Is simply a belief in the Ancient Egyptian religious views and pantheon that is necessary, or is there more to it?
      Well, that depends on exactly what kinda Kemetic. At minium, it does seem to be worship of the Netjeru (or even just one or two of them). Since few traditions have strict rules to this sort of thing, this is a question that kinda lacks a solid answer.

(Next I'll be answering your question about holidays. )

I know some of that may have been kinda vague, so definietly feel free to ask for more details about any of that.

Gardenia:
      What are some popular holidays/festivals/celebrations of Kemetic traditions?
      I'm glad you asked about popular ones! Occasionally someone will ask me if I can tell them about every holiday, and I'm not even sure that I could, but even if I could it would take for-freaking-ever.
      Due to all the different cults and locations, there are many many festivals. I once read a more detailed reason, but to be honest it's kinda slipped my mind at the moment.. :-X

There are some major ones, though.
      I probably won't be able to get them all in one sitting though, so look for this post to be edited.

First would be Wep Ronpet, Kemetic new year. Some mistakenly believe that new year started when the Nile flooded - close, but not quite. The actual date of the flooding varied too much from year to year, there needed to be something more solid. That would be the rising of sirius. (This year, that was Aug 7th.)
      Time is not viewed as truly linear. New Year is not only a celebration of the first time, but is truly a recreation. (As is every sunrise.) There is a focus on warding off the enemies of ma'at durring this time - to not let the year go to them.

In the 5 days before Wep Ronpet, we have the days upon the year. Days that were won by Thoth for Nut, so that She may give birth to her children (she was forbidden by Ra to do this on any day of the year - so these days are not truly a part of the year. They are a strange time between.)
      Her children were born in this order
      Osiris
      Horus the Elder
      Set
      Isis
      Nephthys
      On each of these days, the God born is honored and offerings are made to them.

The sixth day festival happens on the 6th day of every Kemetic month. It is a time to honor your ancestors, teachers and Gods.
      In addition to this.. we also have forst day, half month, and last day festivals. They're about goal setting, and honoring the Gods, and the community. New and full moon festivals are also marked.

There is the Wag Festival, a time to honor one's ancestors, and tend to their graves.

The anneversary of Heru's contendings with Set.

The Opet Festival, lasting aeveral days, is a celebration of the marrage of Amu-Ra and Mut.

The Mysteries of Wesir, another several day long festival, in which the murder and funeral rites of Wesir are reinacted. Many modren Kemetics celebrate the final day of this with an all night vigil.

The festival of Establishing the Celestial Cow, a celebration honoring Nut. Comes near the solstice, which is a celebration of the return of the wandering Goddess, often thought of as Het-heret(Hathor), another celestial cow.
      The Descent of the Dove, the Dove being Aset(Isis), who decends into the Nile and brings the gift of abundance. The same day as the feast of the celestial cow.

booberry:
      I have a really simple question I'm curious about

How do you view the afterlife, and what would you like to happen to your body after you die? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.... mummification and taking your worldly possessions with you into the afterlife... (you can also try to answer for the other Kemetic traditions you mentioned)

thalassa:
      good stuff!!! this is interesting...

what do you do? how is your worship/ritual structured?
      also...is there a set priesthood and what is its structure and requirements?

Gardenia:
      Quote from: booberry on August 17, 2007, 04:29:16 AM

How do you view the afterlife, and what would you like to happen to your body after you die? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.... mummification and taking your worldly possessions with you into the afterlife... (you can also try to answer for the other Kemetic traditions you mentioned)

Most Tameran Wiccans I've spoken with believe in something like the summerland, followed by reincarnation. Kemetic pagans vary.

Most recons no longer believe in mummification being necessary. (I know several who want to be creamted, actually.) Personally.. I think I'd be awesome to be a mummy. ;D Mummification was generally only done by the upperclasses who could afford it. Lower classes made their dead into mummies just by burrying them into the hot sand.

When the soul dies, the idea is that it travels through the underworld (assisted by various Gods).
      The soul is then purified, by going through the 42 negative confessions. An example of one is "Hail Fiery One, coming forth backwards, I do not speak lies." It begins with a prayer to one of the 42 Gods (one for each of the nomes of ancient Egypt), the ending is designed to remove the "sin" from you.. We're not expected to be perfect, who can say they've never lied? It was supose to remove lesser guilts from your heart, so that it would not overly weigh against you in the following judgement.
      These were not set, either. They vary from one's book of the dead to another's. There was an architect who's book said he did not build a poorly designed house which fell over and killed a mother and child. Pretty specific, we can see this was something he felt very badly about and did not want to hurt him in judgement.
      However, its often thought by current Kemetics that you actually have to be sorry for the acts. Say, a repeat rapist who feels no remorse even in death, he probably won't get away with just saying he didn't. His heart will still speak badly about him, in judgement..

Which is the next step. Going before Wesir (Osirs), lord of the west. This is where the heart is weighed against the feather of Ma'at. If one is in balance with Ma'at, on they go to the afterlife. If not.. well.. Ammit destroies them, they cease to exist. No eternal punishment.. just.. nothing. Some actually view this as just a harsh purification of the soul, which is then reincarnated. In either case, this is something which rarely happens. You have to be a super crappy person.. I mean, really super crappy, on purpose, for this to happen.

The whole death to jugement thing was thought to take 40 days, as Wesir did, as the star Sirius does (it goes below the horizon for 40 days before being born again).

The afterlife was thought to be pretty much like this world. Only, better. No disease, no hunger, no war. Various other posibilities would be to ride upon Ra's sun boat, party durrying the day, slay demons at night. Being taken in by the Goddess Nut, or even reincarnation after time in the afterlife. There are a lot things to choose from.

Personally, I would like to be burried with some of my more loved items. I don't think it is necessary, though. The afterlife in general is thought to be like this world.. so you can indeed get things there. I think it's just the idea of having something familiar waiting for you is kinda nice. There are spells to ensure that no matter what happens on earth, you continue to exist in the afterlife. If people stop bringing offerings, you can get more or grow your own foods. If you have no things, you can get them. If you don't know the spells in the afterlife, you can learn.
      So, pretty much, you are covered!

It's also a modren belief by many that our afterlife is not the only one. Just as we as Kemetics have many choices as to where we go, how long we are there, so on, we believe there are other parts of the afterworld as other religions see them. I don't think an Asatru would be too happy sitting by a lotus pond all day (though.. they may enjoy Wesir's beer stash, haha), so I think they spend most of the time in their own afterlife. That every idea of what happens after was just a glimpse into something humans will never know everything about until they get there.
      my etsy store
      My blog

to descend."

Comment

Gardenia on August 17, 2007, 02:08:43 PM
        Quote from: thalassa on August 17, 2007, 08:37:24 AM
        what do you do? how is your worship/ritual structured?
        also...is there a set priesthood and what is its structure and requirements?

Most recon traditions view formal worship as starting with a ritual bath, and bathing with blessed natron (a salt and baking soda mixture) and water. It was meant to bring us back to the first time, when humans were created from the creator's tears.
        We then dress in ritual clothing, most often white.
        Then ritual begins, which is often composed of an opening prayer, an offering, private prayer, and closing of the shrine.
        This is all taken from the models ancient priesthoods left us.

Personally, I'm not a very formal person. I have shrines, which are not "ritually pure". I often do not do a full ritual bath, and just appear before my Gods as I am. (I do try to have a clean face and hands though.) I pray at the shrine, make my offerings, that sort of thing. I also paint, make jewelry, and garden as forms of offerings and worship. Even just watching the sunset is for me an act of communing with Deity.

A note on offerings.. Offerings made to the Gods are consumed by us after some time on the shrine. The idea is God gives to us, we trust in God and give back to God knowing God will give again, and the cycle repeats. Sharing a meal in this way is a show of that.

As for priesthood, specific traditions do have their priesthoods. I am only familiar with that of Kemetic Orthodoxy. One must join the House as a Remetj, then take Shemsu vows, Shemsu-ankh vows, then they can begin priest training a year later (and a certian number of years in the House total). There are also various levels of priesthood, all with different "jobs".
        Those practicing alone may follow a more priestly way (formal rituals to a certian Deity, at set times), or a more common-folk way. Not as formal.

Title: Re: Ask a Kemetic..
        Post by: fae on August 17, 2007, 04:56:05 PM
        I must admit that what I have known about the Egyptian pantheon has been from grade school mythology and hollywood. I was doing research on something and ran across this link:

In the western mind, saturated as it is with Roman culture, the I AM and/or the First and the Last are pretty masculine ideals with masculine qualities. To have one that I have only thought of in terms of the epitome of femininity and female beauty refer to herself as the above has piqued my interest. Does you know how long this poem has actually been around?

Post by: Gardenia on August 17, 2007, 05:52:03 PM
        While the majority of facts before it seem solid and well known, I do not know about the poem itself. This is the first I have seen of it,
        From what I can gather, the poem does not seem to be of ancient Egyptian origins, but perhaps later, or as Christianity was making its way into Egypt. I'm not sure, though.
        Sorry I couldn't be of more help than that. :-\

Post by: fae on August 17, 2007, 07:32:46 PM
        I've been looking, info on dates and stuff is pretty weak. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Post by: Gardenia on August 17, 2007, 07:54:54 PM
        Thanks! I'm asking around too, so hopefully one of us can find some more info on this.

thalassa on August 17, 2007, 08:07:47 PM
        The Thunder, Perfect Mind (http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/thunder.html) is one of the gnostic gospels from the Nag Hammadi Library...it is actually attributed to be spoken thru the voice of the Divine Sophia...

that being said...the poem itself is old, but the use of it--particularly directed towards Isis (unless this is a common poem of the time--but I think not) is a modern adoption...

really it is quite beautiful...I have a copy of it in my BoS...
        my etsy store
        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Young.Blood on October 22, 2007, 12:54:36 AM
          what do you know of Kemetic Necromancy

Post by: Gardenia on October 22, 2007, 02:35:39 AM
          What is your definition of necromancy?

Post by: Young.Blood on October 22, 2007, 02:05:37 PM
          necromancy as in the practice of using the dead for magick. spirits, demons stuff like that...

Post by: Gardenia on October 23, 2007, 12:18:14 AM
          Ah.. I also read your testimony, so I have a better idea of what you're after. (I've seen several different definitions of necromancy, so I didn't want to give you a totally out there answer or anything. :P)

Although, I don't think I can be much help in this area. I have not see a lot of information in this.
          The majority of Kemetic magic and ritual involving the dead deals with making sure the dead make it through the underworld, pass judgement, and are well off in the afterlife.

The akhu (literally "shining ones", ahk singular, the blessed dead/ancestors) were held in very high regard. They, essentially, were the first petitioned when something was needed. The idea being they'd been here before, they understood our needs. As dead they were more powerful, and more knowledgeable. They were also often the first called on to take care of muuet (souls who have not, for whatever reason, gone to judgment yet. Often nasty, troublesome, things).
          More often than not, this was not an elaborate thing. One went before their akhu shrine, or better yet to their grave, and made offerings and prayers.

Given the respect they had, it would not have been common practice for one to summon up and control and use spirits. Not saying it didn't happen, since I know I have seen at least one Greco-Roman papyrus dealing with this sort of thing.. I don't remember any of it though, since it was quite a while ago now, and I don't hold much interest in this art (nor the Greco-Roman period of Egyptian history in general).

As for demons, all I have ever seen on them is information on banishing them, keeping them at bay, and removing their influence from people/places. I have not seen anything for their use in magic. Since demons are part of isfet (the opposite of ma'at) they are the sort of things people went to great lengths to keep out of their lives so that's why so much information about that is left.

Post by: sutistoy on April 08, 2008, 09:43:02 PM
          There is such a vast amount of information out there, involved with history, art, artifacts, culture, language....Egypt itself is a huge thing to encompass in belief or study. Personally, even though I have done a fair bit of reading, I know I have barely reached the tip of the proverbial iceburg...I wonder sometimes how egyptian gods might view people such as myself ( who aren't, specifically, egyptian) who keep towards a Kemetic faith....
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

Gardenia on May 11, 2008, 10:59:21 PM
            Quote from: sutistoy on April 08, 2008, 09:43:02 PM
            There is such a vast amount of information out there, involved with history, art, artifacts, culture, language....Egypt itself is a huge thing to encompass in belief or study. Personally, even though I have done a fair bit of reading, I know I have barely reached the tip of the proverbial iceburg...I wonder sometimes how egyptian gods might view people such as myself ( who aren't, specifically, egyptian) who keep towards a Kemetic faith....

From what I have seen? As long as you go at it with an honest heart, that is what matters.

Post by: Zeno on June 29, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
            Quote from: Gardenia on August 16, 2007, 04:49:29 PM

First would be Wep Ronpet, Kemetic new year. Some mistakenly believe that new year started when the Nile flooded - close, but not quite. The actual date of the flooding varied too much from year to year, there needed to be something more solid. That would be the rising of sirius. (This year, that was Aug 7th.)
            Time is not viewed as truly linear. New Year is not only a celebration of the first time, but is truly a recreation. (As is every sunrise.) There is a focus on warding off the enemies of ma'at durring this time - to not let the year go to them.

So the Kemetic New Year is on August 7th? If so the Kemetic New Year is on my birthday ^_^!

Post by: Gardenia on August 02, 2008, 01:46:01 PM
            Quote from: Zeno on June 29, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
            So the Kemetic New Year is on August 7th? If so the Kemetic New Year is on my birthday ^_^!

Currently, yes, this is the date that Sopdet rises. In ancient times it was earlier in the year.

Post by: Pagaromanie on August 10, 2008, 11:44:48 PM
            Quote from: booberry on August 17, 2007, 04:29:16 AM

I told my father in law who works in a museum that i want to mummify my body and donate it to a museum after i Die and put my other body parts in canopic jars, I think he thought i was joking but i actually was serious about it lol. why not be on display

Post by: Arkady on November 30, 2008, 04:17:16 PM
            Out of curiosity, is there a specific name for a follower of Bast, as there is for one of Isis (Isian)? Or would they simply be referred to as a Kemetic Pagan?

Post by: abdishtar on December 09, 2008, 12:22:16 PM
            If you dont mind me asking, do you guys see the pharaohs as god as the egyptians viewed them?

Post by: Gardenia on January 02, 2009, 09:29:04 PM
            Quote from: Arkady on November 30, 2008, 04:17:16 PM
            Out of curiosity, is there a specific name for a follower of Bast, as there is for one of Isis (Isian)? Or would they simply be referred to as a Kemetic Pagan?

Hmm.. no specific name that I can think of. You could call yourself a shemsu Bast (or, shemsut, for a woman) - literally "follower of Bast". Most go by Kemetic, though.

Post by: Gardenia on January 02, 2009, 09:40:23 PM
            Quote from: hadad2008 on December 09, 2008, 12:22:16 PM
            If you dont mind me asking, do you guys see the pharaohs as god as the egyptians viewed them?

Depends on the Kemetic. Some see them as holders of the kingly ka (spirit), and as such somewhat divine - although generally not on the same level as the Netjeru themselves. Though often revered in ancestor shrines, I haven't met a Kemetic yet who worships a king as god.

Post by: abdishtar on January 10, 2009, 04:20:09 PM
            Quote from: Gardenia on January 02, 2009, 09:40:23 PM
            Depends on the Kemetic. Some see them as holders of the kingly ka (spirit), and as such somewhat divine - although generally not on the same level as the Netjeru themselves. Though often revered in ancestor shrines, I haven't met a Kemetic yet who worships a king as god.

Thanks. Where can I read up on Kemetic paths?

Post by: Gardenia on January 24, 2009, 05:10:22 AM
            Quote from: hadad2008 on January 10, 2009, 04:20:09 PM
            Is there any kemetic paths that believe in reincarnation? Where is there some info I can research kemetic paths?

Thanks. Where can I read up on Kemetic paths?

In ancient Egypt, there were some who believed in reincarnation as a choice a soul could take after death. Some modern Kemetics hold the same opinion (I am one who believes that a soul may reincarnate if it chooses). It varies from person to person..

Kemet.org will give you a good amount of information on their specific tradition of reconstruction.
            There is a book called Circle of Isis by Ellen Cannon Reed which gives information on a more modern Wicca Kemetic mix.

To be honest, your best source for Kemetic information is the history section of a library.
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

abdishtar on January 24, 2009, 06:59:58 PM
              Thanks Gardenia!

Post by: Gardenia on January 31, 2009, 10:35:25 PM
              Quote from: hadad2008 on January 24, 2009, 06:59:58 PM
              Thanks Gardenia!

You're welcome, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Post by: abdishtar on January 31, 2009, 11:01:38 PM
              It's fine, no rush.

Post by: abdishtar on June 13, 2009, 04:45:17 PM
              Would Semitic paganism be compatable with Kemetic paganism?

My reason for not being sure is that egyptians borrowed a quite a lot of semitic deities, many of which I read on the demotic magical papyrus, and elsewhere (looks to see where). And likewise the babylonian and canaanite paganism are both similar and were in constant exchange of deities.

Set was for a long time equated with Ba'al by the egyptians themselves, who is Hadad and is Adad in babylonian religion. both Babylonian and canaanite being semitic.

My reason for wondering is becuase they borrowed from eachother alot. I know its mainly because they maintained a trade route that went from babylon to canaan to egypt for thousands of years. And some deities and religions spread between the 3 regions. Even Egypt, wasn't monolithic, it was made up of cultures which made up ancient egypt itself.

Post by: Gardenia on June 15, 2009, 11:15:45 PM
              Just wanted to let you know that I did see this question, but I'm on the road ATM so don't have time enough to write up a full answer. Not ignoring you or anything.

Post by: abdishtar on June 16, 2009, 08:52:50 AM
              Quote from: Gardenia on June 15, 2009, 11:15:45 PM
              Just wanted to let you know that I did see this question, but I'm on the road ATM so don't have time enough to write up a full answer. Not ignoring you or anything.
              I understand, take your time. I don't think you are ignoring me at all. Sometimes it takes me 3 days to write an answer, especially when I have a really long thread to read and a long answer at once, and I am short on time.

Don't worry, I won't rush you......

....for now at least!!!!

just jking

Post by: Munin-Hugin on June 17, 2009, 09:35:18 AM
              When I was first getting started I had a passing interest in Egyptian gods. To me they always seemed rather ... aloof. Maybe it's because focused more on the Celtic and Norse traditions, but it always felt to me that they relied on humanity only for the strength they gained through worship. I'd always chalked it up to the fact that they're ancient in comparision to the gods I know (there's quite a bit of time between 3150 BCE and 700 CE).

There are so many stories of the European gods taking human form or in some cases, as I have read a bit with the Tuatha de Dannan, living amongst humans for extended periods of time. It could be the lack of these with Egypt that most likely causes me to feel this way. Am I wrong in my reaction towards them or does it seem to be a bit more "effort" than other people have to put in to get the same results?

Amusingly, while browsing the forums the other day, my wife looked over my shoulder and said "Kermetic?!? I like the muppets as much as the next girl, but that's a little silly ... oh, there's no R ... I feel dumb now".
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Gardenia on June 18, 2009, 09:27:21 PM
                Quote from: Munin-Hugin on June 17, 2009, 09:35:18 AM
                but it always felt to me that they relied on humanity only for the strength they gained through worship

May I ask what caused you to feel this way?

There are so many stories of the European gods taking human form or in some cases, as I have read a bit with the Tuatha de Dannan, living amongst humans for extended periods of time. It could be the lack of these with Egypt that most likely causes me to feel this way. Am I wrong in my reaction towards them or does it seem to be a bit more "effort" than other people have to put in to get the same results?

Actually, there are many stories of the Gods living on earth and interacting with humans here. Osiris and Isis, two of the more well known Egyptian deities lived on earth for a good while - Osiris was the one who is said to have taught humans how to farm, how to use tools, and so on. Isis taught how to grind grain, weave, and other domestic arts (I believe she also dealt with the domestication of animals, but can't quite remember). Thoth created their writing system and gave it to the people.

Ra was also on earth for a good while, eventually rising up to heaven when he became too old to continue his rule on earth. The Gods were the first kings - they are often given this credit on many of the lists of kings that were carved on tombs, etc.

As for effort, I can only speak of myself. The ancient Egyptian pantheon was not the first I looked to, however, they are the only ones who I've ever felt I've had a real connection with and for me speaking to them and having a relationship with them does not take any great amount of effort. I know many Kemetics, although not all, feel as I do.

Post by: abdishtar on June 18, 2009, 09:36:21 PM
                Ishtar ruled on earth alongside Tammuz for a while, while Tammuz himself was born on earth as a shepherd king. There are lots of those deities in many pantheons that lived on earth.

Title: Re: The Kemetic Pantheon
                Post by: abdishtar on June 19, 2009, 09:33:45 PM
                What are some good books on ancient kemetic spirituality? and where I can find info on reincarnation in kemetic beliefs?

Post by: Gardenia on June 19, 2009, 10:56:49 PM
                I'm away from my books for the summer, so I can't source any specific books that may touch on reincarnation. The best thing you can do is head to your local library and just read everything you can on the subject. However, avoid authors such as Budge and other authors which are that old - while some of their writings may still be interesting, a lot of leaps have been made in Egyptology since then. (Budge in particular has a lot of bias in his works, as well.)

If your local library doesn't really have a good selection of books, I an list a few books in particular which may be helpful.

Post by: abdishtar on June 20, 2009, 07:52:31 AM
                Okay thanks! I am thinking of buying one with alot of texts in it online, this one:

It sounds like it has alot in it.

Post by: Gardenia on June 20, 2009, 08:17:51 PM
                I don't know that particular book, but it does look pretty good.. might have to get a copy.

If you're interested in reading the literature, there is also a three part series which you might like to look at.

That's the first one. Each book deals with a different period, which is nice if you're interested in a specific time. Kinda pricey to own them all so you might want to see if it's something a library carries first.

Post by: abdishtar on June 21, 2009, 09:22:01 AM
                Quote from: Gardenia on June 20, 2009, 08:17:51 PM
                I don't know that particular book, but it does look pretty good.. might have to get a copy.

If you're interested in reading the literature, there is also a three part series which you might like to look at.

That's the first one. Each book deals with a different period, which is nice if you're interested in a specific time. Kinda pricey to own them all so you might want to see if it's something a library carries first.
                Looks like I got to check that one out, looks interesting. The book I purchased was more generalized in the history, but with not much before the new kingdom if anything at all.

Post by: Gardenia on June 22, 2009, 05:19:28 PM
                Quote from: hadad2008 on June 13, 2009, 04:45:17 PM
                Would Semitic paganism be compatable with Kemetic paganism?

Okay, finally giving you an answer here. :P Although, I'm not how sure how helpful it will be.. There were several deities which came to Egypt from that area, as well as some from the south of Egypt as well - and indeed, Egyptian deities also got "exported" through the ancient world. However, I don't know how much that means they're compatible.. For example, when the Greeks and Romans came into Egypt they adopted quite a few Egyptian Gods, or equated them with their own - but there were quite a few differences between the actual religions themselves. However, they did manage to mesh..
                Of course, Egypt was closer to the cultures you mention, and as far as I know, they did have more in common (and of course, their differences as well). I'm afraid I don't feel I know enough about these cultures to really give a solid answer, though.. Ancient Egyptian religion was very fond of multiple truths, however (different accounts of creation all being valid, for example) so while the religions are not the same, that flexibility does come into play.
                my etsy store
                My blog

to descend."

Comment

abdishtar on June 22, 2009, 07:59:07 PM
                  Quote from: Gardenia on June 22, 2009, 05:19:28 PM
                  However, they did manage to mesh..
                  Of course, Egypt was closer to the cultures you mention, and as far as I know, they did have more in common (and of course, their differences as well). I'm afraid I don't feel I know enough about these cultures to really give a solid answer, though.. Ancient Egyptian religion was very fond of multiple truths, however (different accounts of creation all being valid, for example) so while the religions are not the same, that flexibility does come into play.
                  They aren't the same religion, but even ancient kemetic and ancient mesopotamian religions where even vastly different from eachother within specific civilizations.

my main reason for wondering is that most of the canaanite pantheon is syncretic, and the egyptians equated the semitic gods at times with their own. I was just wondering how that worked out for them.

In ancient mesopotamia you had many cultures that had so many religions. Ancient mesopotamia had like 4 pantheons and 5 creation myths.

Post by: Gardenia on June 23, 2009, 08:27:45 PM
                  Quote from: hadad2008 on June 22, 2009, 07:59:07 PM
                  They aren't the same religion, but even ancient kemetic and ancient mesopotamian religions where even vastly different from eachother within specific civilizations.
                  For Kemet the wider differences mostly came into play over time, not really in different areas of the land. Yes, there were different local deities, and sometimes customs specific to location, but these things aren't really in contradiction to the religion when looked at as a whole, if that makes sense. Although, for a religion which spanned thousands of years, it also didn't go through very extreme changes (perhaps with the exception of Akhenaten, but that didn't last beyond his rule), but some is to be expected.. say, views on the afterlife, for example.

When speaking of deities, it isn't that hard to say "oh, deity X is like deity Y" and really equate them and say this god is that god - even in this day when we take two pantheons who may ever have met. The religions themselves don't really have to have much in common for that to happen - although even different beliefs won't stop a syncretic religion from forming in some cases.

So, I guess my question for you is are you asking from a modern perspective, or asking if this happened in history? If historically, I do not know of this really happening.. not on a large scale anyway, and it's not something I know enough of to really be able to answer.

Post by: abdishtar on June 24, 2009, 12:07:54 AM
                  I was asking about ancient perspectives. I know that in egypt's Northeastern delta region, and in Avaris specifically and elephantine, there were canaanite deities. I just don't remember all of the names. I know Anat and Baal were among them. Canaanite religion made it into egypt in the first intermediate era or the second, forgot which.

Post by: Gardenia on June 24, 2009, 09:39:01 AM
                  Quote from: hadad2008 on June 24, 2009, 12:07:54 AM
                  I was asking about ancient perspectives. I know that in egypt's Northeastern delta region, and in Avaris specifically and elephantine, there were canaanite deities. I just don't remember all of the names. I know Anat and Baal were among them. Canaanite religion made it into egypt in the first intermediate era or the second, forgot which.

I know that at some point immigrants brought their own religion into some areas of Egypt, but I believe they did not mix it much with the local religion. Perhaps equating deities with each other, but I do not know of the religions themselves mixing. Again, not an expert on this exact subject though, so I might be wrong in that.

Post by: abdishtar on June 24, 2009, 12:28:23 PM
                  Quote from: Gardenia on June 24, 2009, 09:39:01 AM
                  I know that at some point immigrants brought their own religion into some areas of Egypt, but I believe they did not mix it much with the local religion. Perhaps equating deities with each other, but I do not know of the religions themselves mixing. Again, not an expert on this exact subject though, so I might be wrong in that.
                  fair enough. Thanks though!

Post by: Gardenia on June 24, 2009, 04:09:00 PM
                  Yeah, sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you find any good information on that though, let me know!

Post by: abdishtar on August 26, 2009, 11:54:41 AM
                  Where can I read the Ogdoad creation myth?

Post by: Gardenia on August 27, 2009, 11:04:06 PM
                  Hmm.. here are a few articles which may help with that.. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/creation.htm (You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

Ancient Egypt: the Mythology is *the* most comprehensive site on ancient Egyptian mythology on the web. It features over 40 gods and goddesses, 30 symbols and complete myths. Also featured are articles about egyptian culture and history.

Post by: abdishtar on August 28, 2009, 03:08:14 PM
                  Quote from: Gardenia on August 27, 2009, 11:04:06 PM
                  Hmm.. here are a few articles which may help with that.. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/creation.htm (You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

Ancient Egypt: the Mythology is *the* most comprehensive site on ancient Egyptian mythology on the web. It features over 40 gods and goddesses, 30 symbols and complete myths. Also featured are articles about egyptian culture and history.

Thanks!

Yikes, can't believe I missed that, seeing that I am at egyptianmyths site for some of my egyptian mythology reading.

Post by: Gardenia on August 29, 2009, 12:40:28 AM
                  I really enjoy the creation with the ogdoad (I had a relationship with Kauket for a while, a few years back), it's too bad it doesn't get as much attention as the ennead, they're both interesting views.

Post by: abdishtar on August 29, 2009, 01:43:40 AM
                  I prefer the Ogdoad as well, it also fits the big bang (well sort of, not really)>

A cosmic egg coming up from pretty much chaos (the mix of the 6 primordial beings, or 8 if Amun/Amaunet aren't being hatched), and Re hatches from it and creates everything.

Post by: FallenInsanity on January 04, 2010, 05:53:16 PM
                  I read through this and I was actually curious about what someone who worships Anpu, or Anubis, as he's called in the present world, would generally called besides Kemectic.

If you don't mind me asking of course? :3

Post by: Gardenia on January 04, 2010, 06:30:21 PM
                  Quote from: FallenInsanity on January 04, 2010, 05:53:16 PM
                  I read through this and I was actually curious about what someone who worships Anpu, or Anubis, as he's called in the present world, would generally called besides Kemectic.

It depends on what else they're "doing", really. For example, a Wiccan could worship Him while still being a Wiccan. An eclectic pagan might worship Him without necessarily falling under the 'Kemetic' label (or perhaps, rather without putting themselves there). It is not, necessarily, only who you worship that makes you a Kemetic in many cases. Sometimes it may, but generally there are other factors to consider in it all.

Post by: FallenInsanity on January 04, 2010, 06:43:59 PM
                  Ah, ok~!

Thanks, I think I get it a bit better.

I mean like a Protecter, and paying homage to him and such.

If this may be a stupid question, don't mind me, xD

I'm kinda still new to this general area.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

CttCJim on January 04, 2010, 07:32:54 PM
                    Okay I got a real good one that a friend posed to me.
                    The Egyptians considered the treatment of the body in death as an EXTREMELY important thing. I have read that it was believed any mutilation visited on the body would be visited on the spirit and make it harder for the person to pass their trials after death.
                    However, our knowledge of medicine today is much more extensive than that of thousands of years ago. For instance, I have also read in past that the Egyptians believed the brain was a water storage organ and it is for this reason that it was removed before mummification using a hook up the nose. Mummification is an expensive treatment not covered by some life insurance plans. Also, western culture has adopted cremation as a very popular approach to dealing with remains, but this is in direct opposition to the veneration of the corpse in ancient Kemetic belief.
                    With that in mind, do modern Kemetic recons (and non-recons) view the corpse differently?

Post by: Gardenia on January 04, 2010, 08:01:52 PM
                    I wrote about this a bit on the first page, but basically most people no longer belief that mummification is necessary for survival in the afterlife. In fact, although it was important, even in ancient times it was not seen as the sole way to live eternally. Statues, paintings, your name, and more were all seen as ways one could live on. One scribe wrote..
                    "A man is perished, his corpse is dust, all his contemporaries have gone to dust; but it is writing which causes him to be remembered in the mouth of him who utters (the prayers for the dead). More beneficial is writing than the house of a builder, or tombs in the west. It is better than an established castle, or a stela in the temple."

Only the more wealthy could afford to be formally mummified, given a proper tomb, a copy of any necessary funerary texts - but it seems that many people of all classes hoped and prepared for eternal life in various ways (especially evident after the old kingdom, but there are some examples before then).

The Egyptians really had tons of ways to cover all their bases when it came to being sure they lived eternally. In these days we seem to have even more options, for those who find it necessary (photographs, etc). It doesn't seem to be something many recons seem to worry much about these days, and I know several who do wish to be cremated.
                    Personally, I certainly would not turn down mummification with a pyramid and statues and all the good stuff - but it is rather unlikely.

Post by: CttCJim on January 04, 2010, 09:39:09 PM
                    hehe yeah i wouldnt mind a shrine or two thanks for the info. I have always been a fan of cremation, and with all the little changes I've been inspired to make by my kemetic conversion, "get embalmed" has not been one of them... while I feel it is important to follow my heart in most spiritual matters, I certainly didn't want to just throw out a principal tenet
                    I bet tho... i could commission someone to sculpt a 6 or 12 inch version of me and make a mold... then people could have tiny me's to venerate after i eventually stop existing on the corporeal plane

Post by: Pagaromanie on January 05, 2010, 12:06:36 AM
                    Interesting read, I checked out some of the links Like the creation link too ;0)

Post by: Allegra on January 09, 2010, 08:10:39 AM
                    Invocation of the Gods -Ancient Egyptian Magic for Today by Ellen Cannon Reed.

Has anyone read this book - is it any good??

Can anyone recommend any good 'beginner' books on Kemetic rituals

Great thread by the way - very interesting reading

Post by: Gardenia on January 09, 2010, 02:55:17 PM
                    I haven't read that particular book, but I know the author is a Wiccan so I would think that book deals with the subject from a Wiccan point of view. She has another book, Circle of Isis, which also talks about the Gods, ritual, etc from that view.
                    There is also a book called Egyptian paganism for beginners by Jocelyn Almond that deals with ritual and magic. Another that deals with some Egyptian ideas and beliefs in a slightly more modern setting.

If you're looking for something more historical to draw from, 'Magic in Ancient Egypt' by Geraldine Pinch is a great book on the subject. (It's not a 'pagan' book, but a history book.) When you say rituals, are you speaking more of magic or just the religion in general?

Post by: Chiraven on January 22, 2010, 05:33:17 PM
                    Although somewhat dated, MacKenzie's "Egyptian Myths and Legends" is still a reasonably good overview of some of the major themes of the subject. It was written, of course, from the perspective of the knowledge of its time (about 100 years ago). A reasonably good survey of the sorts of literary works available on a wide variety of topics can also be found in the early sections of Gardiner's seminal "Egyptian Grammar."

Post by: Emuishere on February 11, 2010, 04:07:47 AM
                    I'm having a really hard time finding the hieroglyphs, transliteration, and translations (all) of any ancient Egyptian texts. I found one for the Book of the Dead but it was by Wallis Budge. Do you know of any sites?
                    In particular I am looking for the Hymn to Sekhmet from the Book of the Dead, but really anything would be nice
                    I'm afraid I might be aiming a bit high ^^;

Post by: CttCJim on February 11, 2010, 04:38:36 AM
                    i found some things calling themselves "hymn to sekhmet" using google, but nothing reputable. sacred-texts.com has the budge translation of the book of the dead, but a quick glance through gives nothing like what these sites have, and not knowing where to look it's difficult to find anything in that slew of text.
                    http://egyptian-mysteries.com/?q=node/33 This appears a much more literal translation of Sekhmet's prime myth, "The Destruction of Man," than most you'd find. It cites its source at the bottom.
                    If you find a trustworthy copy of anything else concerning Sekhmet, by all means let me know! She is not the easiest Deity to honour, given how much of the available information is either poorly sourced or based on writers' personal gnosis.

googled sites for "hymn to sekhmet" containing excerpts which i do not trust:

my etsy store
                    My blog

to descend."

Comment

Gardenia on February 12, 2010, 12:15:29 AM
                      Quote from: Emuishere on February 11, 2010, 04:07:47 AM
                      I found one for the Book of the Dead but it was by Wallis Budge.

Budge is generally all you will find online, as his works are so old their copyrights are up (and so, also quite outdated). Is it possible for you to get to a library? They usually have better books/translations than what you can find on most of the internet.

As for that particular hymn, it's not one I am familiar with, and it does not look like it's from a Book of the Dead. (Honestly, it doesn't look like an ancient work at all.) I'll take a scan through mine and see if I can come up with anything, although it may be from a lesser known translation...
                      Google doesn't really bring up anything helpful.

Edit: I don't see anything like that in Ani's copy of the Book of the Dead, or in the supplemental chapters I have here. There is no hymn to Sekhmet, nor does She make many appearances in the text at all. If you can find the actual source, I could probably dig up the hieroglyphs (though a transliteration may be harder, a lot of texts don't include them).

Posted on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:40 PMI found a site which gives the title of this text as 'the heart of carnelian' which is sometimes a chapter of the book, but the text doesn't match up with the actual translation, so I'm out of ideas.

Post by: Emuishere on February 12, 2010, 12:57:39 AM
                      Unfortunately my library has very little! I'm always on the lookout though

Some sites I have seen with this hymn claim to have sourced it from the Book of the Dead-
                      Excerpts from The Egyptian Book of the Dead translated by Normandi Ellis

Also this one which CttC mentioned- http://mysticmedusa.com/2009/05/01/moon-into-leo/

This looks quite useful for me-

I'm thinking now that any hymns or prayers to Sekhmet with either hieroglyphs or a transliteration with a translation would be great :P I'm learning to translate so it would be good practice.
                      I see that it is very unlikely to be ancient xD Thank you very much for your help

Post by: ladymousewitch on April 21, 2010, 08:30:49 PM
                      I have a few questions for you and anyone who might know the answer.
                      I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and I've been trying really hard to find anything on birth rituals or rights or anything when it comes to Kemetic. Is there anything that anyone knows of? One would think there is just because of the way the old ones viewed death. I've only been following the Kemetic path for about 4 years and only the past year have I really started to put "effort" into it.

My other question is as a Kemetic is it acceptable to worship all gods and goddesses? Or do you need to follow just one or a few? I have yet been called to by just one and worship each for their own personalities.

Finally my last question do you know of any traditional recipes that were used for holidays?

Thanks in advance.

Post by: Gardenia on April 21, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
                      Quote from: ladymousewitch on April 21, 2010, 08:30:49 PM
                      I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and I've been trying really hard to find anything on birth rituals or rights or anything when it comes to Kemetic. Is there anything that anyone knows of?
                      My knowledge here is a little limited, but... Tawaret, Heqat, and Het-heret (Hathor) were often called upon to protect the mother and child (both before and after the birth), as well as to assist in the birthing process.
                      Tour Egypt has an interesting article on this subject - http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/mothers.htm

My other question is as a Kemetic is it acceptable to worship all gods and goddesses?
                      Yes, there's nothing wrong with this.

Finally my last question do you know of any traditional recipes that were used for holidays?
                      I don't know specific recipes, but beer was always very popular. Common folk drank beer and ate bread. (Bread was usually made with some beer in it, and beer was made with bread. Beer was a lot thicker and even chunky, not quite the drink we know now.) They also had onions, garlic, radishes, leeks, lettuces, chick peas, and beans. Dates were popular, and often used as a sweetener. Wild foul and fish when they could get it.
                      The higher classes also relied a lot on beer and bread, but they also had wine, grapes, raisins, figs, almonds, foul, fish, goat, occasionally beef and pork. Honey was the sweetener of choice for those who could get it, but dates were enjoyed as well.
                      Olives and olive oil came in to Egypt fairly early, they also had other vegetable oils. Almond oil as well.

For spices and herbs they had cinnamon, dill, fenugreek, cardamom, and others.

A recipe I like, using traditional foods, is to mash up some dates and mix with a bit of coarse ground almonds. Roll this into small balls, roll the balls into honey, then roll them into more coarse ground almonds.

Post by: cesara on April 21, 2010, 09:50:27 PM
                      Quote from: Gardenia on April 21, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
                      A recipe I like, using traditional foods, is to mash up some dates and mix with a bit of coarse ground almonds. Roll this into small balls, roll the balls into honey, then roll them into more coarse ground almonds.

That sounds heavenly!

Post by: ladymousewitch on April 23, 2010, 04:05:55 PM
                      Thank you. That information has helped me alot.

What is your opinion on a book called:
                      Circle of Isis
                      by Ellen Cannon Reed

I bought it and have read it about 4 or 5 times now. I found it to have some good information. But I want to know what you think of it.

Post by: Gardenia on April 25, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
                      Quote from: ladymousewitch on April 23, 2010, 04:05:55 PM
                      What is your opinion on a book called: Circle of Isis
                      I bought it and have read it about 4 or 5 times now.

Ah, then that recipe probably looks familiar to you. Pretty sure she has one like it in that book... or, was that with figs... been a while.
                      Anyway, it's a pretty good source for Wiccans looking to bring some Kemetic influence to their practice. It's one of the ones I recommend to those not necessarily interested in reconstruction. (Although, even when I was a recon, I liked the section on the Netjeru. Always interesting to see how others interact with Them.) The information is good and fairly accurate, and the meditations and such are nice. It's a good book for those who are new to Kemeticism, but in my opinion better if the reader already have a fair working knowledge of Wicca (or a similar pagan tradition) - as some things, such as circle casting, aren't really explained in detail.

Post by: ladymousewitch on April 26, 2010, 10:43:26 AM
                      Thanks, thats about what I thought too. And I agree unless you know some Wicca background it could be a little confusing.

I did cook something Friday. I did pork loin cut to bite size bits, salt and pepper. Once almost cooked I added some leeks and honey. When that was almost done I added in grapes cut in half. It was lovely!

Post by: CttCJim on May 02, 2010, 07:30:57 AM

My other question is as a Kemetic is it acceptable to worship all gods and goddesses? Or do you need to follow just one or a few? I have yet been called to by just one and worship each for their own personalities.

I wish you the best of luck in keeping track of them all! over the long history of Egypt, there were so many changes and merges and splits, as well as foreign influences, that i find it's a task just to learn about every one of the Names, much less to worship each individually.
                      I have a nice little group from a specific place and time that called to me. but then, your calling will certainly not be the same as mine.
                      Also note: the idea that each God was an aspect of a larger, all-encompassing Deity was not a strange one.

Post by: Caelia on May 29, 2010, 02:29:41 PM
                      I have a few questions for you and anyone who might know the answer.
                      I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and I've been trying really hard to find anything on birth rituals or rights or anything when it comes to Kemetic.

The closest thing I can come to that is a tale where Aset, Nebthet, Khnum, and Meskhenet visit a woman who gives birth to future kings. If you're willing to make your own ritual based off of that, I say go for it.

I imagine you could, but I would worry about never leaving the ritual space. There are a lot of them.

I don't quite understand this question. Do you mean like the equivalent of a Christmas goose?
                      This is all I can see to recover. In the case that parts of what I quoted got nommed or it's a bit much for you to read in this format I retrieved the thread here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

I have a question, it's rather stupid really XD but er,,,

What is a kemetic?

I feel really dumb right now, but i don't trust wikipedia
                        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

[quote author=Amelia-Mary link=topic=71.msg2182#msg2182 date=1286995085]
                          I have a question, it's rather stupid really XD but er,,,
                          What is a kemetic?
                          I feel really dumb right now, but i don't trust wikipedia [/quote]

A Kemetic is an Egyptian pagan. (Kemet is what the ancient Egyptians called their land.) There are all sorts of Kemetic pagans, from Kemetic Wiccans (sometimes called Tameran Wiccans) to Kemetic reconstructionists.
                          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thankyou x
                            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Hiya

I have a question, I have recently found that Bast has made herself known to me, and i have adopted her as my Matron Goddess, however i am trying to find reliable sources for rituals for honouring her as well as reliable dates for feast days that can be celebrated. Do you have any that you use regularly? (I have looked at Kemet.org amongst others)

Thanks

M
                              In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Working...
                              X